Auto trans and weber

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Notmikeb
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 Tercel 5dr FWD

Auto trans and weber

Post by Notmikeb »

Has anyone here ever done the weber conversion on an automatic? I have everything connected and running great except for the kickdown linkage. I modified the throttle cable bracket so I didn't have to have the bell crank as far over as the oe carb so the ball mount is too far inwards and it is too high. I can probably space out the bell crank back to the oe position horizontally but not vertically. Should I just fabricate another piece of metal to hold a ball mount closer to the oe location? Would the fact that it would be moving in a larger radius circle cause issues? It looks like there is some adjustment available with the stock linkage rod but I would be very surprised if it is enough.
-------------
1985 Tercel 5dr Hatchback
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

"I don't get it! I've cut this thing FIVE times now and it's STILL too SHORT!"
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Auto trans and weber

Post by dlb »

the stock auto trans-to-throttle linkage is adjustable at each end. it's basically just a threaded rod. if it doesn't reach though, i would either go with your idea to fab something up to put the mounting ball back in its OE position, or find a similar rod and use a long nut to attach it to the original rod to make the linkage longer.

this is what i mean by 'long nut,' you perverts.

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I do not think the larger arc is an issue, it is basically a "switch", it goes to kick down mode once pushed past a certain point. So you just have to get the length correct so you can adjust it to kick down at the same point. It may take some experimenting to get it where it feels correct, but it is not essential it needs to be "perfect", just good enough where you are happy with it. kick down too early is annoying when going up a long hill, otoh, too late will bog the engine down in head winds, or long hills. it is just a matter of balancing these two ends of the spectrum.

modern computer controlled auto trans do a much better job of this, but you also have the complication of a controller for the auto trans shifting, which can also malfunction and is a big PIA to sort and correct. So we have a very simple, somewhat primative set-up that works okay, but can use a bit of tweaking to get it the way you want.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Notmikeb
Top Notch Member

Post by Notmikeb »

Figured out a solution. Drilled out the rivet holding on the ball stud and replaced it with an extension I fabbed up.

[------------- ======== [ |||| ] #

1 1/4" bolt. 1" spacer. Washer. nylon spacer. Washer. Nut

I then made a 1 inch long drop piece out of aluminum with a hole that is slightly bigger than the diameter of the nylon spacer and a thickness slightly narrower. This is so it can freely rotate as needed as the throttle moves through it's arc. Basically this reproduces the same arc as the throttle but about an inch further out and an inch lower than the bell crank. It seems to work just fine and I can always adjust the rod length slightly if it doesn't shift right.

And yes, my porch needs to be repainted badly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Notmikeb on Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

nice work! and none of those gross long nuts...
Notmikeb
Top Notch Member

Post by Notmikeb »

For anyone reading this in the future, I ended up shortening the linkage rod by a good 1/2" so the hole for the ball stud should be only 1/2" lower instead of the full inch I set it for. I don't think I will correct it here as it seems to downshift perfectly but I have no room for further shortening in the future if the need arises.
-------------
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

Wgyde91
My tercel:: 1983 DLX 4 door

Post by Wgyde91 »

preciate this thread man, working on a conversion for my DLX auto and its proving to be a bit of a PIA. i do have a question. how did attach the throttle cable to the weber? im drawing a blank on what im supposed to do and i cant find any threads on here with good detail.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

there is a thread on the weber conversion in the forum. I think it was splaterdog who came up with a way of attaching the stock throttle bellcrank to the weber, shown in the thread. it requires a few spot welds to hold it in place. but it is an excellent way to do the conversion.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Petros wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:26 am there is a thread on the weber conversion in the forum. I think it was splaterdog who came up with a way of attaching the stock throttle bellcrank to the weber, shown in the thread. it requires a few spot welds to hold it in place. but it is an excellent way to do the conversion.
+1, just do a search for 'weber throttle cable' or something like that and you should find it. I don't have a welder so I just used a small nut/bolt/lockwasher combo, I think. This was a long time ago so I don't remember the details. I think I posted about it way back, probably in 2010 or so.

*edit* found splatterdog's thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5856
Wgyde91
My tercel:: 1983 DLX 4 door

Post by Wgyde91 »

dlb wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:49 am
Petros wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:26 am there is a thread on the weber conversion in the forum. I think it was splaterdog who came up with a way of attaching the stock throttle bellcrank to the weber, shown in the thread. it requires a few spot welds to hold it in place. but it is an excellent way to do the conversion.
+1, just do a search for 'weber throttle cable' or something like that and you should find it. I don't have a welder so I just used a small nut/bolt/lockwasher combo, I think. This was a long time ago so I don't remember the details. I think I posted about it way back, probably in 2010 or so.

*edit* found splatterdog's thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5856
thats what i ended up doing also. thanks though.