Vendor for colormatched paint

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
JackWagon
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel Wagon FWD

Vendor for colormatched paint

Post by JackWagon »

image.jpg
For those of you that have purchased color matched paint, who did you use and are you happy with the accuracy of the color?

I've found automotivetouchup.com & paintscratch.com listed here. Automotivetouchup.com has a recommendation from a tercel owner from Arlington - so that's the way I'm leaning. There are also local paint shops here in Tacoma but they have acknowledged that they are too expensive for the small quantity I need.

I have a couple rust spots in the door jams and a deep scratch from a parking sideswipe. Most of the scratch will buff out but part of it goes down to bare metal and is rusted. I want to catch it now before it spreads.

My paint code is dark blue metallic 884
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Re: Vendor for colormatched paint

Post by Mark »

I recently had some spare fenders painted by a local guy. He used a local automotive paint shop for the paint based on the colour code for my wagon. The colour match turned out closer than I expected. This same guy mentioned that the colour of the car often fades over time so check the paint on the exterior of the car and compare it to somewhere protected from UV like a door frame. If the colour is noticeably different, the colour code won't match the exterior paint that well. I also went to a local auto parts store (Lordco) that does colour mixing based on colour codes. They sell this in spray cans, but they're pretty expensive ($40-something) so I bought the paint in a small touch-up bottle (applied with a brush) for $13. This didn't seem to match that well, so the colour code is only as accurate as the pigments available to the various shops. Anyway, I'd verify that the colour of your car is still close to the original colour and buy a touch-up bottle first to test for accuracy. Hopefully my spelling the word "colour" the Canadian way 11 times in one post doesn't give anyone a headache.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Quite a while ago I had a "computer matched" mix made by bringing in the gas filler door to a parts store that serviced a lot of body shops. Worked pretty good for dealing with paint that isn't quite spec anymore.

Or just starsky and hutch it like DLB's Ron! viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5814&hilit=paint+ron
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

these guys will mix matching paint for your car and put it in a pressurized spray paint can for about $30. A great deal if you do not have a paint sprayer. I found their other paint supplies more costly than I can buy locally, but the matching paint is a great price.

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/perfectMatch/
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)