how high for High Altitude Control Valve

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I spent a few weeks between 4K and 8K with no HAC valve...did use an air bleed going into the EGR port on the carb though. You'll have more power with advanced ignition...the HAC valve is supposed to do that also...and it leans the carb.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Chris
Top Notch Member

Post by Chris »

I've had my Tercel over mountain passes in excess of 11,000 ft with no problems. So there's no need to worry. I live at 4700 ft and travel often to 8000 ft. Yes, you will notice a loss in power, but no big deal. Make sure your radiator cap is in good working order to maintain the desired pressure in the cooling system. That will keep the coolant from boiling at too low of a temperature when you're taxing the engine climbing those mountains......Have fun.

Where are you from and where are you going?
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I live at 5600ft and I don't see a lot of problems. I personally haven't taken it higher, but my folks drove it to the top of Trail Ridge which is... What? 12,000 feet high? A couple of times. They say it didn't too much agree with doing it but that it handled it fine. Said it had to be kept in lower gears the way up.
The original 84's engine made the trip over the Rocky Mountains from California with no HAC and no problems.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew