'86 4wd Wagon, Seattle, WA

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
hydrolagus
My tercel:: 1986 4wd Station Wagon TERSW

'86 4wd Wagon, Seattle, WA

Post by hydrolagus »

The admins are kindly letting me list my car here. I like my Tercel but I'm way too clueless to treat her right so it's time for her to go to a better home. I'm asking $1300.
The details:
Red 1986 Toyota Tercel 4wd 4 door station wagon. Manual transmission, 1.5L engine. Series body: TERSW

dis-ads:
Needs new catalytic converter. Runs without this repair, but not optimally.
Oil needs checking every few weeks--probably fixable. I'll include the unused quarts of oil.
Idles high when starting out; revving once stops that.
Vinyl on front seats is torn; dog hair in carpeting in back
Windows are a bit sticky to roll down
Sticker residue on hood
Paint faded
Deep dent in roof, front left corner; minor dents in hood and trunk
Glove box needs a little convincing to close.

ads:
Moon roof? ventilation hatch? openable glass panel in roof. Doesn't leak, suprisingly.
Tabs good until next February
Radio/cd player with removable faceplate (new 2007)

repair history:
New battery 11/2013
New spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter 2/2013
New front windshield 10/2011
New transmission, clutch kit, left front axle, rear crank seal, exhaust gaskets 11/2011 (some damage to axle from driving to service station after transmission went clunk)
Brake overhaul 8/2009
New starter 6/2006
Purchased in 2005 w/rebuilt engine; new transmission shortly after (yeah, I was suckered)
ToyotaSide.jpg
If there's anything additional you want to know, just ask. Apart from the issues in dis-ads, it runs fine.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: '86 4wd Wagon, Seattle, WA

Post by irowiki »

Idles high when starting out; revving once stops that.
It's supposed to do that! It runs at high idle for a few minutes until the car warms up, then it kicks itself back down to a lower idle.

How many miles when you bought it, and how many miles now? Odd it'd be using so much oil.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

sounds like a reasonable price. Most of those items are easy fix, and as Irowiki points out, the fast idle is normal for a carburated engine when it is cold. spray some silicone lubricant on the window tracks should help the windows slide, and some "goo gone" or similar solvent will usually remove old sticker residue.

In this state, like most, the car is exempt from emissions controls and you can have a by-pass pipe installed rather than replace the catalytic converter for about $100. An aftermarket cat adds perhaps $200 to that cost if you want to keep the converter.

If you have an oil leak, most of those are fairly easy to fix (valve cover gasket or distributor o-ring), or perhaps a crank seal. If it is burning that much oil than you might try a Seafoam treatment, and than add some STP to the oil or similar to slow the oil consumption.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
hydrolagus

Post by hydrolagus »

I didn't make a note of the mileage when I bought it (see above note re: cluelessness) and it's listed as mileage class exempt on the title. Current odometer reading is 345062. When I get home, I'll dig through the paperwork and see if I can find anything more.
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by emmahumpfritter »

Red!! :)
260K with no end in sight....
hydrolagus

Post by hydrolagus »

Welp, one week on the University classifieds board has only yielded one nibble, and that was a guy who insisted on paying via PayPal and couldn't pick it up in person. Even my cluelessness has limits. Any suggestions of other Toyota-friendly places to try before I release her into the wilds of Craigslist? I'd really prefer her to go to someone who will appreciate her rather than someone just looking for a cheap car.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I have found craig's list very good place to advertise these cars. there are a number of people that watch for the Tercel4wd and will respond same day, it is almost like a cult car with an active following. You can weed out the tire kickers pretty fast, good running examples are hard to find at any price, and serious buyers will make you cash offers and are willing to show up in person to look and drive it right away.

Write a good detailed ad, put all of the good things about the car first, list the most important items first (4wd works great!), new parts installed, etc. the miles on the car, and things like "no rust, body straight" (if true). list the negative items at the end of the ad, do not spend a lot of time listing negative items, and leave minor stuff off (like sticker glue on hood, not necessary to point that out on a 30 year old car, they know it is not perfect). All of the items listed above can be fairly easy fixes. this kind of ad will also eliminate some one looking for a cheap car, not likley they would consider buying a 30 year old econo-box anyway.

Paypal is a fishy way to buy a used car, too many opportunities to scam you, ignore those requests or send them a short email saying you accept cash only (put that in the ad itself).

Also, include a link to this site on the ad, serous buyers that want to care for the car will come here and ask questions and likely join up. That too will weed out the tire kickers.

Good luck.
hydrolagus

Post by hydrolagus »

Thank you! That's reassuring. I was afraid I'd end up weeding through a mess of sketchy characters who would just strip it and dump it. I know it's silly to be so sentimental about a car but I get attached.
What does "body straight" mean?
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Meaning it hasn't been in an accident.
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by emmahumpfritter »

This car is a great deal IMHO.
260K with no end in sight....
hydrolagus

Post by hydrolagus »

In case anyone is contemplating the car: I'm dropping the price to $1000 due to the discovery of just how in need of replacement the tires are. The upside: I have confirmed that the donut works.
hydrolagus

Post by hydrolagus »

Well, I had a potential buyer check it out. He said it would need a lot of work including rebuilding the engine and offered me $500. I'm inclined to hold out for more.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

if indeed the compression is low on the engine, and the reason for the high oil consumption (i.e. it burns it rather than leaking it), than it may need a rebuilt engine. It does have a lot of miles on it, but it it runs and drives good, and not belching clouds of blue smoke when you drive it (a little on start up is normal for a older engine, but not a big deal), $500 is a bit low.

Did he do a compression test? If not, the claim it needs a new engine or rebuilt engine is not justified. Many cars this age (and with that many miles on it) have already had a crate engine from Japan installed. those are cheaper than a rebuild and would have much less miles on it than the rest of the car. likely he was just a low baller looking for a deal.

If it drive fairly good, than $1000 should not be a problem, Seattle is a hot market for these cars. Someone will take take even with those problems. Though it is more difficult to sell a car that has mechanical issues, but neither are you asking top dollar for it either.

Good luck.
hydrolagus

Post by hydrolagus »

It's off to its new home, and I referred the new owner here. Thanks, folks!