Heater blower fan

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
shambug
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 85 SR5 4WD

Heater blower fan

Post by shambug »

My long standing feud with my heater has come to a stand still. I had to install a dc heater where the radio goes so I don't freeze. I have cleaned the heater core, completely disassembled and reassembled the dash and duct work minus a excessive screw or two, replaced the blower fan motor twice and the fan blades once, the blower fan relay, bypassed the heater line cut off in the engine bay so it goes directly to the heater core. Still no heat. If I connect the blower fan directly to the battery it blows hot air. My guess is a wiring issue, but were to look? when I hook up the ground from the cars wiring to the blower fan and hook up positive directly to battery, I can turn the fan on and off with the blower fan switch. I had it hooked ghetto rigged like that with a 10amp fuse and the fuse would blow after a few minutes maybe I need a resistor or something.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Heater blower fan

Post by irowiki »

So what exactly was the problem in the first place? Let us know so we can better assist you.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
shambug
Advanced Member

Post by shambug »

The problem now is that the blower fan does not turn on.

My heater problems have been so many I cant even remember what the first one was. But basically I fix it then something else, usually the same day will break and no more heat. So I guess my real problem is the curse if anyone has a fix for that.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Did you check the blower motor fuse? A 10 amp fuse would not be enough, I think it uses a 30 amp fuse.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

not sure what your problem is. are you saying the fan comes on but doesn't blow hot, or the fan doesn't come on unless you jury rig the wiring, or both?
shambug
Advanced Member

Post by shambug »

I apologize for not separating my rant from my current problem, apparently it was confusing. My current problem is that the blower fan is not receiving power. The power is going to the relay but not making it all the way to the blower fan. All the fuses are fine and been replace just to make sure.I tried a 30 amp fuse as irowiki suggested, directly wired to the battery and blower motor and it seems to work like that. So to fix the problem Ill just splice a new positive wire into wear the old fuse on the fuse board was and a new wire down to the blower motor. Plus then ill be able to run the blower without the ignition on. Im going to try these out http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-Medium-Midd ... 54174f2596 and all let you know if it catches fire or not, its 50 50 with ebay.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

it sounds like it might just be the relay so why not try replacing it instead?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

So does it run in high/medium/low?

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
shambug
Advanced Member

Post by shambug »

I already tried replacing the relay thats what I though of first, it was in my first op.
irowiki wrote:So does it run in high/medium/low?

No it does not work.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

To be far, your first post was sort of a mess :lol:

I mean you claim when you hook it directly to battery the fan switch turns it on, at that point does high/medium/low work, or just one speed?

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 SR5 Wagon

Post by 4doorVIP »

I had the same problem, give the base of the fan a love tap with a big wrench or rubber mallet..did the trick on mine
2JZGTE-powered Tercel SR5
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

It's very likely the wire that commands the relay on is bad. It is located on the blower switch. Had this on my parts car that I drove for a year. The 5 hour drive home with it, in wet clothes and 30's was fun. Just needed the wire soldered back on at the switch. Look at the purple/green wire at the switch in the wiring diagrams. Low's function is ONLY to turn on the relay(in all speeds), the resistor handles the speed. The switch carries the load in every other speed That's the only thing besides a dead motor that prevented airflow for me.

Now that I think about it it might have been where the switch wiper makes contact. Either way, soldering at the switch was the fix.
shambug
Advanced Member

Post by shambug »

Ran all new wire and re-soldered from circuit breaker box to switch and all the connections between the fuse relay and blow fan. Now the fan works.
drege
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Hadatercel

Post by drege »

When I got my terc I had no fan either, I took it out and tested it with direct power and continuity tested, dissasembled = the graphite brushes were toast; I was able to get a few from my local ace hardware store and its been working for medium and high ever since, I don't bug too much about low not working - I just adjust the heater core shutter for less than hot as hell.
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

if it's not working on some of the low/med fan speed settings, the problem is likely in either the resistor pack or the fan speed switch itself. the resistor pack is easy to check, just remove the glove box, unplug the plug with 4 wires going to it from the heater box, remove the one phillips screw, and pull the resistor pack out. there are 3 coils of wire on it. if any of the coils are broken, carefully splice the broken coils back together using the small metal guts from a butt splice. i've done it several times.

if the coils of the resistor pack are all intact, it's the fan switch. you have to remove the heater controls to swap the switch with a good one. bit of a pain but not a huge job.