Weber woes.

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Mogordo
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 Wagon

Re: Weber woes.

Post by Mogordo »

I can look into that online I guess. Finding carburetors locally of any kind to pull parts off isn't very easy around northeast PA. Thanks.
Do you have any idea why it now gets worse when the car has been driven a while? When it didn't use to stick very badly at all, just a little. I made a 45 mile trip today and the first few miles were in town and the idle was sometimes dropping to 900 and otherwise to below 1300, always dropping when I put the clutch pedal in to shift. Nothing bothersome. I took highway then but went into another town around mile 17 and it was starting to get worse by then. Not dropping as well but not real noticably. Got back on highway but the last several miles were in town again and by the time I got where I was going the RPM were usually going up or staying the same when I stepped on the clutch and coming into a stop and idle it sometimes it would go up before going down and was staying up closer to 2000. I'm still confused by why it isn't always sticking and is not sticking with the engine off.
One who walks in shoes always clean likely walks nowhere at all.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

I'm not sure about why your idle RPM are dropping when you step on the clutch. The only thing I can think of is maybe the clutch or throttle cable is routed poorly and snagging on something but that doesn't seem likely. Oh, what about the vacuum hoses you have going to the vacuum advance? Could the clutch cable be snagged on one of those so it's causing it to not get vacuum sometimes? That's another kind of left field guess, also unlikely but worth looking at.
Mogordo
Top Notch Member

Post by Mogordo »

I called a friend and my one brother ( They are in AZ as is my dad. Maybe one of them can find a carburetor out there to pull the stock throttle pieces from. If not, I'm planning to take a road trip out there in a couple months and maybe I can find one then.) to see if either of them could think why this would be affected by the enigine being on or not and how warm it is and the friend said he thinks some type of vacuum or other issue could absolutely be causing those variables to affect it but that as he doesn't know this carburetor or car he doesn't know what exactly. The way it was running prior to Tuesday wasn't very bothersome so if it would run like that again I could figure out how to modify it to get a spring on it at my leisure. I'm going to try re-setting the mixture screw to the incorrect it was and see if somehow that changes this. As that is the only thing I can think of that I changed shortly prior to the issue changing.
Thanks dlb!
Mogordo
Top Notch Member

Post by Mogordo »

Well I called my dad after sending him pictures. He said he doesn't think it's likely anything vacuum related and asked if I had checked that the cable for sure has slack in it when it stops. Said something like a minor difference in engine angle could affect the cable between the engine running or not. I think the cable does have slack but I'll make sure soon. He said he could make a spring work for the throttle with the pieces on there and maybe a piece of metal and explained the gist of some of his ideas and said also if it were his car he would twist the bracket the throttle cable comes through to make it line up better with the end of the cable.
I don't know. Maybe I'll see if I can make something work with a spring with what he suggested.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Yeah, I would have guessed it was vacuum related too but then I remembered you have the weber which has minimal vacuum hoses. That said, it still could be -- like I mentioned, maybe the vacuum advance hose could be involved, and you should also confirm that all four 12 mm nuts that mount the carb are snug.

In your pics, it looks like there is slack in the cable when it is at rest so that's good. The biggest problem I see with the way the throttle cable attaches to the throttle shaft is that without a bracket or arm to make the cable ROTATE the shaft like it's supposed to, it looks like it at least partially just PULLS on the shaft.

Again, I'm not confident this is related to your inconsistent idle but it's definitely something you want to sort out sooner than later, as the cable pulling directly on the throttle shaft instead of rotating it will wear it out and cause damage in the long run.
Mogordo
Top Notch Member

Post by Mogordo »

My cousin was thinking of some kind of diaphram on the carb. But then he realized the Weber doesn't really have much of that. I still might try turning the mixture screw back out just to settle whether it is irrelevant, I'm making the same drive tomorrow as the issue has been obvious on so if I turn it out and the car does the same thing I guess it will be easier for me to think maybe it is coincidence that this started after I changed things.
I checked the bolts on the carburetor and one could be tightened a little more but the rest were tight and that one wasn't actually loose. I looked at the vacuum advance lines and don't see anything that would interfere with them.
I got a spring on for the throttle for now, I went with maybe weaker than it will take and I'll see if it works.
I don't know if the cable is pulling too much on the shaft. It looks like there is a good bit of rotation but since I haven't seen many others in action I don't know what normal is. I could look at my other car, a friend had just replaced the cheap carb. with a stock carb before an issue happened. It's sitting in the garage so very accessible but just thought of it as I was writing this.
Thanks (:
Mogordo
Top Notch Member

Post by Mogordo »

One of the things I noticed after tuning the carb. was how much smoother the car idled (with the exection of too high sometimes). If it was sitting idling at 900 and I had music turned up I would almost question if it was still running because the car was hardly moving/shaking. I turned the mixture screw back out and quickly remembered how poorly it often idled. When the throttle didn't get stuck it might be down close to 4 or 5 hundred RPM with the car shaking and sounding like it might stall though it never did. I didn't follow exactly the same driving route tonight and seems without more city driving the really noticeable issues aren't really noticable but it did still idle high at times. I asked a couple people more about what the mixture screw does and while I still don't know why it would I'm guessing that somehow the issue is not actually caused but exacerbated by it being correctly set and it isn't complete coincidence that I noticed more issue after doing that. I put it back to correct. Poor car was struggling.
My dad tried to explain more about the rotation on the throttle shaft and how he too could see that how mine is set up in general is not correct. We were talking about ways to get the cable to line up better too. He mentioned that the carburetor that was replaced with a stock carb. on my other car had a rotating piece on it that the throttle cable went through that works better. That carb. is a cheap version of a Weber and is almost identical in most ways so I took a look to see if the piece would work. It might but I hadn't known it was supposed to be able to spin and I had put a little clip on it to hold it in because it appeared it had lost one and could fall out and the one I got fit too tightly and it couldn't spin so I'd have to find the right size. And I'll have to try again with the spring because the one I had didn't make the throttle fully release. I think I'm making progress anyway if only in my mind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.