So close I can taste it

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
johnnyraggs
My tercel:: 1986

So close I can taste it

Post by johnnyraggs »

Hi all, so I'm new to the forum but have been cruising through the posts for a while now. I'm currently tercel less, but am about to change that! Here's a little history....

I'm a automotive tech here in the great city of Calgary, Alberta, Canada and obviously have had more cars then girlfriends.....which may be a sad thing to say..... But not when you have heard all the cars I've owned at one point or another I guess. Anyway, a number if years ago, I was an apprentice at a Toyota dealership in the city and in need of a car. My parts manager at the time had a rusty old '86 tercel 4wd wagon that he sold me for $200 and 1/8 oz of a green smokable substance that I used to encounter in my youth.... But that's a different story altogether.... About 1 week into owning this car and I was in love. It was my do anything, go anywhere car. To make a long story short, eventually it started having starting issues, I rebuilt the carb and changed all the regular things to no avail...... One morning went to start it to go to work and all she would do was crank....crank crank , crank unit, the battery died. I called my mom to come get me and once at work, called they kidney foundation (a charity in the city) and had them tow it away for a measly $25 tax receipt. I got home that day to no tercel and it was one of the saddest days of my life.....what did I do?????
Through multiple other cars, I always thought of the tercel.....always looking for one for sale.....but never to get lucky. Until two days ago.....on kijiji was a 1986 tercel 4wd wagon.... Minimal rust for $800 obo.. I texted the seller and it was still available! So we made plans to meet up today (Saturday) I was so excited! The wife was busy in the morning so I contacted my brother to drive me out to see the car (probably a 1 hour drive from where I live). So this morning I wake up and look outside and see about a foot of snow. Ugh, maybe tomorrow
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 SR5 Wagon

Re: So close I can taste it

Post by 4doorVIP »

almost full circle back to a turtle
$800 could be a good deal for a minimal rust 4wd

welcome to the club
2JZGTE-powered Tercel SR5
walkersimpson
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5, 1984 toyota tercel FWD, 1987 toyota tercel SR5 (shata1)

Post by walkersimpson »

Great story glad you found one to bad you didn't have the t4 it probably would have plowed right through that snow also would be a good text when you check it out to see how the 4wd works make sure that's all good hope it all works out and we get to hear and see more of you on here looking forward to seeing some photos
walkersimpson
johnnyraggs

Post by johnnyraggs »

Ya, I'm planning on going to see it tomorrow. It has some rust around the rear wheel wells, and spots her and there, but those look like just surface rust and an easy fix. The ad says that it's maintenance is all up to date, so at least it's cared for! It's an auto, but I would consider doing a manual swap on it in the future, along with dropping a 4ac into it. Hopefully it's in good shape and we can make a deal. If so, I'll post lots of pics!!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

I heard you guys got snow. Good luck with the car purchase. I hope it goes well.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

welcome to the forum, johnny. i was really curious about the automatic 4wd tercs and then fixed one up for a friend last year. it definitely wasn't as fun to drive as the manual trans but the 4wd was just as capable.

good luck with your purchase. if you do decide to swap to a manul trans, there are a few threads here on how to do it. it's a big job but can certainly be done.
johnnyraggs

Post by johnnyraggs »

Thanks! I would have preferred a manual, but beggars can't be choosers. I have read a few posts on the forum documenting a manual swap and though it does seem labor intensive, I'm sure it's something I can take on. I'm off to see it in a few hours so I'll keep you all posted
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

The swap isn't that bad. It looks daunting until you get into it. I actually was very satisfied with how mine turned out. My automatic had a bad motor so I pulled engine and trans together. To prevent damaging the heater core, I dropped the cross member to get more clearance. It was an easy install too, just dropped a complete unit in. You can change the clutch, any seals etc, while everything is out, put it back together and drop it in.

Let us know if you get the car.

Is this the car? Typical rust in the rear quarters, check it carefully.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calg ... nFlag=true
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

that's weird the seller changed the doors because of the window regulators. they are easier to swap than the doors.
johnnyraggs

Post by johnnyraggs »

Yep, that's the car. I went and saw it, checked it over and test drove it..... And something told me to pass. Im a licensed tech and know my way around a car and there was just a weird feeling i got that something wasn't right. There was lots of bondo on it and a weird knocking noise from the rear that the seller said was just the exhaust missing a hanger, but when I checked the exhaust It seemed pretty secure. Just didn't have a good feeling on it so I walked. It didn't help hat the interior was pretty filthy and smelt like stale smoke. But just driving it took me back to my old terc and I've got the bug back..... Now just to find one ....... They're getting harder to find these days
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum,

A shame to get ride of a Tecel4wd just because it would not start, that is usually an easy fix. Anyway, unless you get the rusty auto trans for a great price, I would suggest waiting until you find what you want. (looks like you did that, smart move) there are lots of good examples out there, particularly if you are willing to travel some distance to get it. Many in Canada have bought great rust free Tercels out of the states, there are some hoops to go through to get it "home" and registered, but that is minor compared to getting one that needs a lot major body work and mechanical repairs. Just do the paper work up front and than go through all of the safety inspection items before you try to get it registered (all things you would want fixed anyway).

Happy hunting.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
johnnyraggs

Post by johnnyraggs »

Thanks, so if anyone knows of one for sale in my general area (calgary) let me know