Hornbeam Lives!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

3A-C Power wrote: Does your system control the ignition too, or are you talking about the newer Suzukis?
The system on Hornbeam does not control the ignition. All it does is tap into the tach signal so the ECU knows the engine's RPM. We found a convenient spot to tap into it too, the emission control "computer" has the signal and is right above the new ECU. The stock Toyota ignition system is unchanged. Well except we haven't hooked up any vacuum lines to the dizzy yet. :)

The 1992 and newer Suzuki systems have the advance all controlled by the ECU. I have one of these newer systems in my Metro. Same engine, but the distributor only makes the ignition pulse and sends the spark to the appropriate plug. No vacuum or centrifugal advance.

And the 1998 and newer 4-cylinder engines had a distributorless ignition. I'm not helping anybody install one of those. :lol:
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

My dizzy has no vacuum advance anyway lol. It kicked the bucket a long time ago.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Typrus wrote: My dizzy has no vacuum advance anyway lol. It kicked the bucket a long time ago.
You might want to fix that. It's there to give you more advance at part throttle to reduce emissions and improve mileage! ;)
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

And how do I do that? I have one dizz with vac but no mech and one the other way.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

I'm just thinking, mabey a custom adapter could be made up so that the suzuki TB would mount sideways and allow for an air cleaner and the hood to close.

the TBI can be mounted any way you want since it dosn't have a fuel resiviour.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Typrus wrote: And how do I do that? I have one dizz with vac but no mech and one the other way.
I'd take them both apart and make one good one out of the two. And clean and lubricate everything in the process.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Speaking of dizzy's... You CAN install an external coil. Just call up CRANE and ask them how to install their coil on the dist with an internal coil. I wish I remember the process they told me >.<

Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Mac wrote: I'm just thinking, mabey a custom adapter could be made up so that the suzuki TB would mount sideways and allow for an air cleaner and the hood to close.

the TBI can be mounted any way you want since it dosn't have a fuel resiviour.
Do you mean having it horizontal? You're welcome to try it, but I wouldn't. The injector is right on the end of the throttle body and you might get a gas-soaked air filter while cranking, if you stall it, when shutting down, etc. 45 degrees might be a better idea, but I don't know if it would be enough to help. Plus you'll need to find some way to get vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator (the small hole in our adapter accomplishes that).
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Typrus wrote: And how do I do that? I have one dizz with vac but no mech and one the other way.
.....take the mech advance out of the one that works and put it in the other?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

The vacuum advance is removeable. I had to change mine when I found out it wasn't working.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

Typrus wrote: Speaking of dizzy's... You CAN install an external coil. Just call up CRANE and ask them how to install their coil on the dist with an internal coil. I wish I remember the process they told me >.<
get an older dizzy from a 1980 tercel or corolla, it uses an external coil, and then install it with a high-perofmance coil.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

While that too is true, there is another method....

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Looks like the Swift's are 94 and 95 >.<
I'm going to go examine my Geo to see just what kind of change I'd have to make on the dist...

I looked at the replacement vac. adv. from Rock Auto.. That looks simple enough to pull.

I'd love to have this system, just dunno how $$ is going to turn out.