2012 PNW Tercel4wd.com Meet, Saturday June 23rd

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 2012 PNW Tercel4wd.com Meet, Saturday June 23rd

Post by Petros »

I have a rear seat set, it is the dark navy/white diamond pattern from the '85 year. I do not think I have ever seen a black Tercel seat.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
North of 64
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: "Bones" 87 SR5 4wd wagon

Post by North of 64 »

dlb wrote:
dlb wrote:hey, anyone looking for any T4 parts in particular? if anyone is looking for some, they should post them here. i have quite a bit of stuff that i'd be happy to give/trade/sell (depending on if it's something i will likely need in the future) that i could bring to the meet. i'm looking for a few trim pieces:
These parts are from an 87 automatic 4wd deluxe. The exterior is what i would call Champagne, the interior plastic pieces are kind of a coffee colour with single cream, not double double brown. The seats and door liners are noticeably lighter (double double coffee)
- brown front passenger seat belt receiver, aka the female end of the front passenger seat belt. the plastic cover on mine is torn up. available
- brown plastic door for the inside of the hatch
- brown pull knob and other trim piece from driver side rear seat picture of the trim would be helpful
- brown passenger side cargo area trim piece (pretty big piece)
my wish list has just changed! i'm still looking for these

are you talking about the entire plastic liner for the inside of the hatch?
- brown passenger side cargo area trim piece (pretty big piece--not the wing, the lower one that covers the wheel well) is this the piece that the smaller cover for the shock is set into?

but i'm now also looking for a

- brown front carpet in decent condition
Define decent and provide tips on how to remove it properly and say how many times you are willing to wash it
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

North of 64 wrote:
dlb wrote:
dlb wrote:hey, anyone looking for any T4 parts in particular? if anyone is looking for some, they should post them here. i have quite a bit of stuff that i'd be happy to give/trade/sell (depending on if it's something i will likely need in the future) that i could bring to the meet. i'm looking for a few trim pieces:
These parts are from an 87 automatic 4wd deluxe. The exterior is what i would call Champagne, the interior plastic pieces are kind of a coffee colour with single cream, not double double brown. The seats and door liners are noticeably lighter (double double coffee)
- brown front passenger seat belt receiver, aka the female end of the front passenger seat belt. the plastic cover on mine is torn up. available
- brown pull knob and other trim piece from driver side rear seat picture of the trim would be helpful
- brown passenger side cargo area trim piece (pretty big piece)
my wish list has just changed! i'm still looking for these

are you talking about the entire plastic liner for the inside of the hatch?
- brown passenger side cargo area trim piece (pretty big piece--not the wing, the lower one that covers the wheel well) is this the piece that the smaller cover for the shock is set into?

but i'm now also looking for a

- brown front carpet in decent condition
Define decent and provide tips on how to remove it properly and say how many times you are willing to wash it
omg, that's a mad quote within a quote within a quote. so i don't need the seat belt or pull knob stuff anymore but as for the plastic door for the hatch, i just need the little door that you access the reverse light bulb through. it snaps into place on the main hatch trim piece. for the cargo area/wheel well trim piece, you are correct: the cover for the rear shock snaps into place on the big trim piece that i need. again, that's for the passenger side.

as long as it's not torn to hell, it's probably fine. the one in my project car was used without floor mats so there is no carpet, just bare metal in the front foot wells--gross. i'll wash a carpet as many times as need be to make it appear clean and stink-free! to remove it isn't hard but takes a few minutes. you remove the eight 14mm bolts that hold the front seats and pull them out. then you use a phillips screw driver to remove the trim from the bottom of the door frames, the shifter console, and the park brake console. some of the screws can be rusted so push hard to avoid stripping them. then remove the two 10 mm bolts that hold the plastic driver foot rest (these are usually rusted in place and snap off). then front carpet should come out. it's not that big when folded up but i would be extremely impressed if you brought that all the way down from the yukon for me!
North of 64
Top Notch Member

Post by North of 64 »

sorry for the posting mess everyone - rookie move. Can someone point me to instructions and recommended tool kit for the beginner parts scavenger/recycler. I scoped out the car today but realized I had little better than a clue as to how to remove parts without damage. No promise on the front carpet, but at least it is not swimming in a pool of organic YUCK like the rear carpeting.
I had to bash through the Willows and could only get into the Tercel from one side. Might make it a tad difficult to wrestle the drivers seat out of the way but it's a long weekend and the forecast looks clear.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

With the following tool kit you can remove/repair almost anything from a Tercel:

8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19 mm sockets and combination (open end and box end) wrenches, ratchet handle, breaker bar, plus several different extension lengths, and a universal joint. I like 3/8" drive for all uses except you may need a 23mm socket and 1/2" drive breaker bar to remove the large axle nut, it helps to have a 1/2" to 3/8 drive adapter to use the smaller sockets if necessary. Also a 1/4" socket drive ratchet, extensions, u-joint, and 8, 10 and 12mm sockets comes in handy for a lot of tight spaces. You can eventually add the same size deep sockets for some difficult to remove nuts. I have not found any other socket/wrench sizes useful on a TErcel (there is one place you need a 9mm deep 1/4" drive socket, to remove one jet in the carburator, but usually you can clean out the carb without removing that one).

Than you want to supplement this with an adjustable wrench, wire cutters, channel locks, both small and large needle nose pliers (for the large ones I really like the ones with the angled tip, comes in handy for a lot things like those spring hose clips, reaching into tight spots, etc.), and both a large and small philips and flat screw drivers (I also carry a really large screw driver to use as a pry bar, or you can carry a small pry bar or "flat bar" to get stuck parts freed). And sometimes the real short stubby screw drivers, in both phillips and flat, come in handy for tight places, but you will not use these very often (but will be glad you have them when you do!).

Add a torque wrench, a feeler gauge set, a putty knife scraper, and a volt olm meter will complete your tool set for just about everything you need to fix almost anything on the car.

Of course the most important thing you need is the knowledge of how to fix it, and everything else will fall into place.
North of 64
Top Notch Member

Post by North of 64 »

Thanks Petros, I have most of those tools, nice to know which ones I will need. As for knowledge................I didn't say I was going to fix anything.....just trying to save some Tercel parts from sinking further into the permafrost.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

North of 64 wrote:................I didn't say I was going to fix anything.....just trying to save some Tercel parts from sinking further into the permafrost.

Awesome quote!
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

You should ad a set of jack stands too, if you are going to work on the car when it is up on the jack. A nice hydraulic floor jack is useful too, but you can get by with the Toyota scissor jack.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

Synth I plan on making this get together, if everything works out right. If any one has a 110mph spedo ,tilt steering collum, im intrested ive got a 2" ex head pipe that is dam near new I'll bring ,2 sr5 rear door panels 2tone brown, brown rear hatch panel and the back up light little cover (the little catch on the bottom is broken -double back tape will fix) cooling fans, if any one is intrested.Larry :D
aflineman
My tercel:: 1984 4WD basic package (Now with some SR5 upgrades)

Post by aflineman »

I might be able to make this, depending upon overtime and family plans.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Well it's getting closer. Roll Call!

If we end up with more than 10 cars, which is looking quite possible, it may be better to move to another location.. Especially if it's super nice weather which may make the it a challenge to compete with other picnickers.

SynthDesign + another Tercel Member
Petros
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Post by toughtercel »

TEN T4WD cars , that powerful , That more than at P.S.T.of .F
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

fully in
North of 64
Top Notch Member

Post by North of 64 »

My ticket is booked and I'm catching a ride down as part of the Canadian Contingent.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

Synth:--I-will-be-there-for-sure-with-or-without-my-car-Larry :D