4doorVIPs Tercel SR5 BEAST

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: 4doorVIPs Tercel SR5 BEAST

Post by marlinh »

Great, thanks for the tip. The paint itself is so pricey, I was wondering how do get around buying everything they recommend. My newest addition to my flock will get this treatment.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

4doorVIP wrote:Also noticed this cars horn does not function. Does this plug have anything to do with it? I see it is not connected to anything (this is located infront of the car battery)
hard to tell from the photo but no, i don't think that plug has anything to do with the horn. the horn is located behind the driver side headlight. you have to remove the headlight (four 10 mm nuts, two of which are behind the corner marker lights) to access it. i have a spare horn i could mail to you if you want to try replacing it. are you still up in nanaimo? send me a PM with your address if you want it.

i know this post kinda comes out of nowhere but i knew i'd seen the horn on these cars. i couldn't remember where it was until i removed a busted headlight the other night. better late than never, right?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Pop for at least one new horn, or at the very least a relay, fuse, and some new wire for the OE horn.
See https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... hilit=horn
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 SR5 Wagon

Post by 4doorVIP »

hey guys an update on the project beast

I decided I would tackle the valve lash clearance today..

everything went smoothly until I was on my last valve #5 and over torque the nut down, which cracked a piece of my valve rocker arm off.

It always happens like that doesn't it?

I'm going to see if I can borrow a family members car for a little bit while I get this tercel back on the road.
There are couple things that need addressing at this point.

I peaked behind the timing belt cover today and found a series of cracks in the tbelt. So that is a job I will take care of before winter hits. I figure I will replace cam seal as well as it looks like it is leaking a bit. Will prob do the front main seal and rad as well.. Blergh..

Here is a photo of the cracks on the t belt

Here's a photo of the broken rocker arm

And a photo of my head without the rocker arm in place..ill be changing the oil before starting her back up..may clean the head a wee bit a well

Figured while I have the valve cover off I would spruce it up a bit, gave it some dark metalic flake treatment
2JZGTE-powered Tercel SR5
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

4doorvip, don't know if you saw my last post but i have a horn in my parts terc that you're welcome to if you want it. also, you can have the rocker arm assembly as well. send me a PM if you're interested. i'm in shawnigan lake, about 20 min south of duncan.
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

nice man ill send you a pm
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

That timing belt should be entered in the hall of fame. When they talk about cracks per inch, they are referring to the ribbed side of the belt, not the smooth side, I am amazed it hasn't already failed, gotta be one of the worst I have ever seen.

I'll be interested to hear how the POR15 holds up, I almost went that route but ended up going with OSPHO and epoxy primer, instead.
I heard some mixed reviews about the POR, especially from those that didn't follow the proper application protocols.
But still, I pine for a simple solution to the rust issue, especially for those areas that are not readily accessible.
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

Jarf wrote:That timing belt should be entered in the hall of fame. When they talk about cracks per inch, they are referring to the ribbed side of the belt, not the smooth side, I am amazed it hasn't already failed, gotta be one of the worst I have ever seen.

I'll be interested to hear how the POR15 holds up, I almost went that route but ended up going with OSPHO and epoxy primer, instead.
I heard some mixed reviews about the POR, especially from those that didn't follow the proper application protocols.
But still, I pine for a simple solution to the rust issue, especially for those areas that are not readily accessible.

lol thank you Jarf
As soon as I saw the old cracked belt my heart sunk, but then I realized how lucky I have been. I purchased the car 2 years ago and never thought to look at the belt condition until then.
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

Massive thank you goes out to our man dlb - he was very nice enough to give me a rocker arm assembly, and a working horn, w00t!

crank pulley wet sanded down (to remove deposit build ups)

cam rebolted back down to spec with new cam seal, and ATV Blue

removing old waterpump o ring, totally cracked
here is the old waterpump straight pipe o-ring, wonder why it leaked?
new o-ring installed
new water pump in, rocker assembly in
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

heres a picture showing the old front main seal, and cam seal i believe
broke my TSVS by removing vacuum lines, new one in
new timing belt installed - look mah, no cracks!
cam gear back on, torqued to spec

here I am torquing the crank pulley, using one of my favourite tools for the job, breaker bar lodged onto the tool and onto the driveway so pulley cannot spin
http://www.amazon.com/Schley-SCH64300-T ... ley+toyota
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

old plugs looked a bit gross, new plugs going in

car wouldnt fire up for me, ended up being the distributor was off, I had moved it while removing the cam shaft that I did not need to remove..doh
shots of timing alligned to TDC

here is a shot of the upper timing belt cover, I used edge trimming to install new cover gaskets - it worked out really well

here is a shot with everything pieced back together nicely, new radiator is in place

celebrating with some home made viet pho soup with flank steak and meatball, bit of chilli sauce
[
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

POR15 - I put that shit over everything!

next job was to replace the passenger side balljoint
the cotter pin was rusted out, and broke off inside the castle nut, grrr
nothing a bit of angle grinder won't cure!
castle nut ring anyone?

I went to Canadian Tire and rented a ball joint removal tool..amazing tool, and the old ball joint popped out pretty violently - it got about a foot of air-time
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

next up were the rear brakes.
ended up getting new shoes, drums, cylinders on each side, and a new spring/pin kit. This was the first time doing drum brakes so it took me 2 days to complete
I still have some more bleeding to do as the pedal still feels a bit spongie

shot of one of the leaky cylinders

another problem I had once the car was running was the fact it would overheat...stupid me did not put enough coolant into the radiator. I topped it off and now shes running smooth.

And here is a shot of my old heater fan resistor, only the top speed would work. Got a new one for $20..then the fan did not work at all, great. Out of desperation I put the fan setting to MAX, hit the bottom of the fan with my wrench - bingo she's blowing harder than ever
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

Last edited by 4doorVIP on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

We also have a new Tercel in the family - this one is a 1981 Tercel with just over 115,000kms, we got it for a steal there is basically no rust on it whatsoever

picture of her first gas up
we hit eject on the car cd player and this came out *puke*

I also picked up a couple extra TSVS from a supplier, I am testing these out right now. Im hoping to be able to provide a much more affordible option to people than the $109 special. I shipped one out to dlb for testing