awful fuel economy

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: awful fuel economy

Post by irowiki »

It should be on the hood diagram and the FSM.

The HIC to the HAI is on EC-43
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
applewew
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985

Post by applewew »

Got it. Now I just have to find the HIC
Thanks!
Last edited by applewew on Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
applewew
Advanced Member

Post by applewew »

Ok, I just called every toyota parts store in town/country.

They don't have any of the stuff (other than hoses) for the emissions control system.

Is there a way to disable it all (its not an issue down here) and leave a simple setup like some of you guys have on the weber?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

for any of the vacuum-operated components you want to disable, just plug the hose that goes to the device with a bolt or screw, or remove the hose and cap the port. each device serves a specific purpose and some you can live without while others will cause weird issues but you can easily experiment by plugging hoses or capping ports to find what you prefer.
applewew
Advanced Member

Post by applewew »

On the webber setup, what are the systems that are left connected?

I was away for over a year and found the car in this state. Does 10miles/gallon and runs hot constantly, I'm guessing because the timing advance isn't working correctly with the EC system in that state.

I don't really need high altitud compensation, nor cold weather (hot idle?) compensation (it's always insanely hot here), etc. I just need it to run fine. And avoiding installing a different carb would be nice.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

how hot is it running? the first thing i would check for hot running is the entire cooling system -- coolant, rad, hoses, thermostat, rad cap. don't overheat it and make more work for yourself. if someone has messed with your car while you were away, i would give the whole thing a thorough check and tune up. there are lots of other things that can cause lousy mileage. particularly check the timing, i wonder if it has been retarded. also remove the distributor cap and confirm the rotor has a small amount of counter clockwise spring-loaded play. it should twist counter clockwise a bit and then snap back to its original position when you let it go. this is crucial to proper ignition timing.

many people run webers with no vacuum systems at all but it's very different from the stock carb. some of the stock carb emissions have some ecu-controlled devices (depending on where you are located) that are far more complex to disable, like the EBCV and fuel cut-off solenoids. anyway, check #14 in the FAQ regarding what vacuum systems can be connected to the weber.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7442
applewew
Advanced Member

Post by applewew »

It takes a 20 minutes drive to get it past the middle. Good thing my daily drive is just ~12 minutes each way.

It started dieseling, plus the overheating, I suspected the timing was retarded, and it was in dead 0, so I left it around 10. But it continues to overheat and has dieseled at least a couple of times since.

I will change the distributor rotor just to be safe too, but I have found 70% of the vacuum lines connected in the wrong places, problem is, at least a couple of valves are broken now: HIC and the one that says "gas filter" in the vacuum diagram.

Edit: About fuel economy, exhaust reels of gasoline smell
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

changing the distributor rotor won't fix it if it lacks spring-loaded play. the spring-loaded play comes from the mechanical advance mechanism, right in the bowels of the distributor.

the 'gas filter' are actually just ports for intake manifold vacuum. if that 'gas filter' is broken, it's a big vacuum leak.

check the AAP on the front right corner of the carb. it is for delivering more gas while the engine is cold but you don't need that where you are, and if it is leaking, it will be sucking gas straight into the intake manifold.
applewew
Advanced Member

Post by applewew »

I did check the AAP (I put a new one in 2012), and the "gas filter" is blocked with epoxy.

I will check if the rotor has spring-loaded play.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

If the gas filter has been blocked with epoxy there's a bunch of your problems right there! It gives intake manifold to the vacuum advance and the TVSV.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
applewew
Advanced Member

Post by applewew »

irowiki wrote:If the gas filter has been blocked with epoxy there's a bunch of your problems right there! It gives intake manifold to the vacuum advance and the TVSV.
Exactly, the vacuum advance is connected to god knows what (I can't recall right now) and the TVSV to again god knows what.

And since emissions down here are not THAT regulated, I could and prefer stripping as much as possible. That's why I ask about the weber setup, it seems to be using just what's required it to run fine and that's it :)