4doorVIPs Tercel SR5 BEAST

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 SR5 Wagon

Re: 4doorVIPs Tercel SR5 BEAST

Post by 4doorVIP »

Okie dokie, car is back from the clutch with a brand new clutch, and header pipe. I'm so happy to have her back, I also heard it may be snowing soon and gas prices are on the rise.
BRING IT ON
2JZGTE-powered Tercel SR5
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

since it was done by students you might want to just verify that they actually got all 4 liters of gear oil in the trans after they pulled it for the clutch job.

What was wrong with the header pipe? These usually hold up pretty good.

and what is the emoticon in your post doing?!?!
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Petros wrote:and what is the emoticon in your post doing?!?!
i think it's drinking a cool glass of water, indicating that he is cool as a cucumber despite the impending hardships of poor weather and rising gas prices. no wait, it just spat the water out and laughed. i have no idea either.
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

I didn't pay enough attention to the avatar before I posted it.. no clue what it means don't look too deep into it sorry guys :)

Good advice as always Petros I will check the gear fluid level... no leaks so far which is a good sign. They replaced the front pipe because they could not remove the old one due to it being severly rusted-out.. The Terce now has a complely new exhaust (I replaced the cat-back a few months ago)

Going to tackle some rust issues this spring/summer... look at lift options (rear struts on the way out..might as well upgrade while your in there). Going to eventually upgrade to 14's, here are the wheels I'm sourcing
I might be able to get them for a steal, but we'll see how much shipment from Japan will work out to be.. They are 14x6 4x100 Watanabe's

TercelTeege
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel Wagon 4wd SR5

Post by TercelTeege »

Those wheels on your T4WD sure would look sweet. Hope shipping isn't too bad.
If you didn't already take care of the window regulator issue, I found some on partsgeek.com for like 34 dollars each or something around there. Quite cheap for new parts!
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

thank you, I think these wheels should suite the car pretty well, i know they look great on ae86s
great find on the regulator, I'll be picking one of those up pretty quickly me thinks
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

Installed a bit of rice in the interior this weekend, a 12-LED dome light from Walmart. I'm pretty happy with the results, the light is a lot more intense than oem bulbs and use less draw.

installed LED strip lighting in both driver and pass side footwells. It looks blue in the pictures but its a pure white light
put it a bluetooth rear view mirror , its a lot bit bigger than factory and has a wider sight of view - I can see out the back window and the two rear side windows with it

Heres the rear hatch that has been treated with POR-15, all the black spots used to be rust

another shot of the POR15..can anyone spot Domo? Image
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

Just took the Tercel on its first road trip this weekend - everything went well with the new clutch. I'm pleased as punch with this car. Anywho I was bored this evening and decided to search for JP carib pictures...Here are some results - hope these are not reposts!

Pretty sad that I did not even realize how far back these seats recline, makes for a spacious back seat!

this one reminded me a bit of dlb's ride with the green 8)

poor brown Terc :(
How about a bit of snow drift?
pretty cool mirrors, I also like the shift knobs

56k beware..pretty cool close up shot of a Carib
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

vip, check out the old german brochure that board member terceldude posted several years ago. i love the colour schemes on the 'page 6' scan.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4540
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

^thanks man, I checked out that thread and updated it with some pics.

Last weekend I did a dump-run in the tercel, and felt guilty about the mess it left.

So I hauled out the hatch carpet, gave it a good vacuum, steam cleaned, and removed all the grungy underfelt/sound deadening material from the bottom (a steamer remove this stuff quite easily with a bit of scrubbing)

Scrubbed and simple greened the spare wheel well. After it was fully cleaned and dry, I hit with a layer of POR15

spare wheel cleaned up and re-installed

The nice clean carpet put back in, you can hardly tell in the pic but I also installed $36 200W 6.5" speakers in the rear

If you guys have any asian specialty stores around try to find these air fresheners. My interior smells like a millon bucks

Here's the after math of cleaning out the rear hatch area...loose rust/grime/rotten sound deadening

Also noticed this cars horn does not function. Does this plug have anything to do with it? I see it is not connected to anything (this is located infront of the car battery)

Finished the job off with some home made vietnamese drip-coffee (good noms)
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

LEDs came in the mail for the cluster and climate controls, not a bad way to spend $20
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

put new brakes on the fronts (rotors,pads and refreshed the calipers) - 1 medium McCafe and a 1-man brake valve kit made for a nice way to bleed these properly. DOT3-Decafe
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

Installed new belts...next is a new radiator

my gf took this epic shot of The Beast - good from a far but far from good :mrgreen:

marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

What other preparation did you do before applying POR 15. Did you use a specific product or just the simple green? How does it work on areas that aren't rusty?
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

I used SOS pads, simple green degreaser, and a scrub brush. Then just used paper towel to collect up and loose bits and made sure it was all dry.
POR15 will pretty much stick well to anything, but hit non rusty areas with an SOS to rough it up a bit first