*gone* 1985 Tercel 4WD SR5, white; Odessa, TX, $500

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

*gone* 1985 Tercel 4WD SR5, white; Odessa, TX, $500

Post by lannvouivre »

EDIT: I was able to transfer the title. The car still isn't registered, but the title is clean.

I really need to do something about this vehicle. I haven't really had time to mess with it and it's upsetting my family members and neighbors. You will want to probably bring a trailer for this. If the car is not gone soon, I will be removing parts from it and having it sent to the crusher because I cannot keep this car. I don't have a timeline on that, either.

Bolded the important parts.
https://imgur.com/a/urKDS
Well, it's got some goodies that are staying with it. You may be aware I have done a bit of work on it, but I did some thinking and most of the new stuff is going to go on another vehicle. I'm going to detail what's staying with it.

It's got something like 430k miles on it, last I checked.

It has some rear springs off a Nissan Pathfinder, rear shocks for a '67 or so thunderbird, and front struts for the Corolla All-trac 4WD to achieve a lifted stance. I don't think the all-trac stuff fits well and I didn't do the best installation on it, although I can assure you I at least didn't cut or weld anything. Mainly it's the way it's bolted to the steering knuckle, as the all-trac had thicker knuckles and I had to instead use some washers (1 or two for each of the two bolts on each side) to get them to fit snugly.

There's clunking in the front and under the floor. I know the sway bar links are basically devoid of rubber now and it seems like that's the cause, but if I put that car on jack stands my parents will probably evict me, so I can't check. I was thinking the springs may be touching the insides of the strut towers, but I can't actually see in there easily.

The wires on the transmission were ripped off, apparently during the process of someone swapping a replacement transmission in. The transmission is also leaking.

The title will have to be fixed because we never actually transferred it. I don't know how much of a PITA that will be.

The horn doesn't work. It's also unplugged, but testing revealed it is indeed non-functional.

The RH outside rear view mirror glass fell out, but it's still OK and in the car somewhere.

The rear seats had mold on them and I think we've thrown them away, not sure.

The floorboard behind the front seats has a hole or two rusted through it for extra ventilation or something. I think they were quite small, I haven't looked at them again in a long time.

No A/C and also the front speakers are gone, various interior stuff is removed, and I don't think there's a stereo in it.

The rear windshield was smashed by a hailstorm. Hailstones the size of fists, guys, this car has been through hail and back.

The emissions system is mostly removed or disconnected. Should still have all the parts for it. In fact, I intend to put a second set of almost all the emissions system components except the ECU in the car.

I haven't hooked up the replacement fan yet.

The power steering pump isn't bolted down or anything. I was going to remove it because the pump is very leaky.

The roof is slightly bent down, from I can tell, and I think this car has been in an accident or just horribly, horribly repainted.

I will also be including an extra "rebuilt" ("disassembled and reassembled but after having lost some parts") Toyota carburetor. The plastic housing on one of the diaphragm things is cracked open.

If you are lucky, I will be giving the white tercel the washer/coolant reservoirs off the red one, the ones on the red one are probably less leaky.

Things I will be taking off of the car:

Note, this means the parts below are staying with me.

The electric fuel pump and stuff.
The Weber carb.
The new tires and wheels.
The Grant steering wheel, I will be swapping a beige one into it if I don't have the original.
The new battery. Please bring one if you intend to drive this possible deathtrap.
I might also be swapping the engine I rebuilt out of it as well as the new clutch etc. to put on the other Tercel. I will knock $100 or so off if I do this swap, don't worry. The engine I built runs really well, it started right up after sitting 12 months with bad fuel--which, it's still running pretty well on that bad fuel, too.
Last edited by lannvouivre on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Re: 1985 Tercel 4WD SR5, white; Odessa, TX; title problems; $500

Post by lannvouivre »

Well, I looked around for any loopholes around the issues. As it turns out, a lot of the title transfer information is buried in the title manual on the DMV site.

I thought there would be a fine of $250 for delinquent title transfer (more than 30 days have passed since we bought it) on the Tercel. It starts at $50 and adds $25 for each subsequent month of lateness, not to exceed $250. It's been over a year, sooo... Anyway, I looked it up because on a few county specific sites it doesn't apply to cars over 25 years old.

Exceptions
The Delinquent Transfer Penalty does not apply to the following: • Vehicles that are eligible to be issued classic/antique plates under section 504.501 and 504.502

Sec. 504.501. CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAVEL TRAILERS; CUSTOM VEHICLES; STREET RODS. (a) The department shall issue specialty license plates for a motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old or is a custom vehicle or street rod.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Re: *title now clean* 1985 Tercel 4WD SR5, white; Odessa, TX, $500

Post by lannvouivre »

We found someone on Craigslist to take it for free this weekend, as well as the other one. Probably both going to the crusher.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that would be a shame. there are people searching the adds for "free" cars, they just run them to the scrap place for a quick few hundred, no matter the value or desirability of the car.

If the cars are not rust buckets or completely crushed and bent in an accident, they can be rebuilt/restored to be a good daily driver. Just the transmission alone, if good, is worth perhaps $350, and worth it for the parts alone if not.

Never give away a rebuild-able tercel unless you know it is going to an enthusiast, it will just get crushed, and all the other tercels will be missing important parts that might help keep them on the road.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

We can't keep them, we have nowhere to store them while we wait for anything better, and I don't have time to strip them of good parts. My parents have been upset about the white one being out front for weeks, and my fiance and I don't have our own place.

No one was interested in buying them and no one made any offers, not even with the white one being offered for $500. I don't want to get rid of them, but we just don't have any choice anymore.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

If someone would buy it for $500, I would actually just leave everything on the car, including wheels, steering wheel, and weber carb.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

what would it take to make one of it drivable to drive it to another state? we are planning a trip to Texas soon, might consider a side trip to fix and drive it home.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

White one doesn't have a rear windshield, horn is dead, front suspension makes ominous clunks, and I think it still wanders around. It didn't seem to do it when I drove it to my parents' house, but I don't trust that impression.

Also I think front transmission seal is leaking on the clutch, but it could be that I didn't adjust it correctly or don't know how to operate a clutch anymore.

Don't forget that the rear seat is gone and the rear floor has a ventilation port or two, courtesy of rust.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

how rusty is the whole body, lots or just a bit that is easy to fix?
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

It seems like surface rust on the underbody and fasteners. I am pretty confused about the holes in the floor, honestly.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

A guy came today and picked it up for free to have scrapped.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Re: *gone* 1985 Tercel 4WD SR5, white; Odessa, TX, $500

Post by Petros »

Tercel murder!
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

It sucked really bad, but we couldn't get anyone else to take it at all. No one was even interested! :(
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey Zach,

You tried your best to find it a good home. If most of us weren't so far away it would have gone quickly.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain