turd troubles. Name this other thing that broke pls

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Turdcelbrother
My tercel:: 1987 tercel 4wd sr5

turd troubles. Name this other thing that broke pls

Post by Turdcelbrother »

Was draining trans when my arm gently grazed the what looks like a clutch cable version of a clutch slave cylinder. i had noticed that it had been practically drowned in some sort of epoxy by the previous owner/mechanic. its snapped right in half, just looking for the name of the thing, any help appreciated.

Andrew
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: turd troubles. Name this other thing that broke pls

Post by BaileySims »

Speedometer gear, driver mechanism thing?
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have no idea what that could be. can you give more detail? what part of the trans, or bell housing, was it attached to? left side, or right side of trans, or top side? how big is it? does it have a cable coming out of it? or a wire?

might be one of several sensors, which are sealed in plastic: one is for the reverse light, one is for the "4WD" indicator light on the instrument cluster, and the other is for the "EL" indicator light, also on the instrument cluster. they are about an inch in dia (25 mm).

It looks like a large hex plug, sealed with black plastic goo, and with a wire coming out of it, going to a connector.

If that is what it is, none are critical for operation, as long as it does not leak. We would have to know which one before any one can send a replacement.

what ever it was should not break off with just hitting it with your arm, so likely it needs to be replaced anyway.

see if you can get a picture of it to post.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Turdcelbrother
My tercel:: 1987 tercel 4wd sr5

Post by Turdcelbrother »

I'm not sure on how to post a picture on here ahah, I'll try to figure it out, in the meantime I believe it was the housing for the speedometer cable, the aluminum casting that goes into the trans snapped in half, I've got some aluminum in weld on it as of now.