Effective Tercel Searches

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 6-spd SR5 4wd Wagon

Effective Tercel Searches

Post by GLet71 »

As my hunt draws to a close, and I get ready to start on my summer holidays, I thought I would pass on the links I search to help discover what Tercels are available throughout Canada and the U.S. Searchtempest is definitely the most effective and current craigslist search engine out there. Here are the links I use daily, ensuring the "separate cities" tab is being used:

Tercel 4WD:

http://www.searchtempest.com/results.ph ... maxAsk=max

Tercel 4x4:

http://www.searchtempest.com/results.ph ... subcat=sss

Tercel Wagon:

http://www.searchtempest.com/results.ph ... subcat=sss#

It is always possible to change the distance, and really get into your search. For example, if you type in 'Tercel', you are never going to get through all the results that return. However, because you can adjust your postal code (or zip code), you can search within the distance you would be willing to drive for a bargain (unless you're northof64 who'd drive to Nebraska for a deal!) I live in Nelson, BC, and I would be willing to drive up to 400 miles, therefore I always start with this one:

http://www.searchtempest.com/results.ph ... maxAsk=max

Craigslist has been making some changes lately, and searchtempest is trying to play catch up with those changes. It can be a little buggy as of late, but seems to correct itself within a few days. If you want to search for something completely different, I would click on one of the links above, and then enter what you wish to look for (i.e. Corolla All Trac). It will give you the national results the same as the Tercel ones.

For us Canadians, or those who entertain the idea of shopping north of the border, Kijiji is a popular website used across the country. We have a lot less Tercels available, so the searches are easy for us. I start with the BC only, because there is less rusty vehicles here than anywhere else:

http://bc.kijiji.ca/f-tercel-Classified ... hFormZtrue

Then, just to check what the rest of the country has to offer, I found a way to do a National search as well:

http://bc.kijiji.ca/f-tercel-cars-vehic ... hFormZtrue

Again, if you want to look for anything else, just click on one of the links and substitute 'Tercel' for whatever you want to look for.
Last edited by GLet71 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Currently:
Majorette France Tercel 4WD - Fini
Formerly:
'87 6spd SR5 4WD modified Wagon (Ron, the post-apocalyptic summer ride)
'87 6spd dlx 4wd Wagon (Pinkman Got Nuthin', aka Pinky)
'87 Auto dlx 4WD Wagon (Otto, temporary parts car)
'88 6spd SR5 4WD Wagon (Perry, the parts car)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Effective Tercel Searches

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Great tool - I just made it a sticky!
Thanks!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 6-spd SR5 4wd Wagon

Post by GLet71 »

Woohoo, Greg gets his first sticky! I knew I had it in me~
Currently:
Majorette France Tercel 4WD - Fini
Formerly:
'87 6spd SR5 4WD modified Wagon (Ron, the post-apocalyptic summer ride)
'87 6spd dlx 4wd Wagon (Pinkman Got Nuthin', aka Pinky)
'87 Auto dlx 4WD Wagon (Otto, temporary parts car)
'88 6spd SR5 4WD Wagon (Perry, the parts car)
drege
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Hadatercel

Post by drege »

Hmm seems you made it work, when I tried that a few days ago I think I only found one, like up in the washington puget sound somewhere.
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
snephi11
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel SR5 manual(duh)

Post by snephi11 »

So I came across this site http://www.2040-cars.com/Toyota/Tercel/
I know nothing of it, its credibility or legitimancy. Has lots of t4's on er. Worth a look.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Wow- they don't update that site often- found an '87 fwd a/t wagon there that I bought off ebay over a year ago! (Exact same ad.)
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
stanrob
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Two 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD, Cal. emission controls, one now a parts car (good engine & transmission, still had full power at 310K), another, a low-rust project car, with 307k miles, from Petros

Post by stanrob »

I've just recently purchased an 85 T4D from Petros, who procured, checked on, worked on, and delivered it coast to coast -- all for a price, which I willingly paid. I've admired Petros's skills, knowledge, and enterprise for years. They are clearly head and shoulders better than mine. However, at this time I think it's appropriate to issue a word of warning to others like me: check everything, including his work, before you buy. In other words, TRUST BUT VERIFY!

It's a beautiful looking car, not perfect but mostly unrusted. I had given up on finding an unrusted T4D in New England. But right now I'm grappling with 27 "surprises" and counting. Among those surprises are several more that must be surmounted before I can register and pass safety inspection. I'm 77, not well equipped, and I always do the wrong thing first, so this may be an unbeatable challenge. I may have to resell, take a bath, surrender my fond 21-year relationship with T4Ds, and fall back onto conventional Corollas.

Just in case anyone wants to see my tally of "surprises" and my progress or lack thereof in dealing with them, I'm attaching a spreadsheet.
Surprises.xls
(17 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

@ stanrob: Could not open - am told it contained corrupted files?
Also - note that Petros cannot reply for a couple of weeks; he is out of the country for about another week-and-a-half.

OT, but we are each 1940 babies!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

In Petros' defense in Washington we don't have car inspections and many state inspections vary even between different counties. Looks like the only three things remaining to get fixed before it is licencable are:
1. New muffler
2. Have the headlights aimed
3. Bolt the license plate back on.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
stanrob
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Two 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD, Cal. emission controls, one now a parts car (good engine & transmission, still had full power at 310K), another, a low-rust project car, with 307k miles, from Petros

Post by stanrob »

I salute you, fellow Septuagenerian ARCHINSTL. I realize it's possible that I'm abusing my age claim.
Too bad I can't reach Petros yet. Clearly he knows how to open that gas cap.
I called Stant with the gas cap's part number and nobody there had heard of the problem!
Without my girlfriend's car on occasion, I would be totally grounded.
I'm sorry to say I don't yet understand why your software seems to say the XLS file is corrupted.
Do you have what I would call overaggressive virus protection?
Have you tried getting it with a public computer, e.g. in your library?
It doesn't trigger any corruption warning for me on my Windows or Linux, and the forum says downloaded 18 times.

----------------------------
@ stanrob: Could not open - am told it contained corrupted files?
Also - note that Petros cannot reply for a couple of weeks; he is out of the country for about another week-and-a-half.

OT, but we are each 1940 babies!
Tom M.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

@ stanrob (the other T4WD OF!) -
The message window I receive is: This program is unable to run because of missing or corrupted files. Contact your computer manufacturer.
This is a new experience for me after all of these years.
? ? ?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain