Windshield removal

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
mattiasvinge
My tercel:: Tercel 86 (for fun), Tercel 86 (for every day use), Tercel 86 (girlfriend's)

Windshield removal

Post by mattiasvinge »

IMG_20161130_133231653.jpg
Think this is my først post. Im removing, maybe changing, the windshield from an un registerd Tercel i have to the one Who is registerd. Every 2. Year we have to take our cars to æ controll her in Norway (and the rest of EU). I got 15 things i need to fiks and one is the windshield :)
IMG_20161130_135151.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mattiasvinge on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tercel 86 (for fun), Tercel 86 (for every day use), Tercel 86 (girlfriend's), Corvette C3 Stingray 76(for making my life a hell):D
mattiasvinge
My tercel:: Tercel 86 (for fun), Tercel 86 (for every day use), Tercel 86 (girlfriend's)

Re: Windshield removal

Post by mattiasvinge »

If you have some tips let ne know and you will make me happy :wink: :?:
Tercel 86 (for fun), Tercel 86 (for every day use), Tercel 86 (girlfriend's), Corvette C3 Stingray 76(for making my life a hell):D
Guthrie
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel Wagon

Post by Guthrie »

Det er en hyggelig bil for Norge :geek:
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

Not sure how the windshields are mounted in the euro spec tercels. But here in the Us they are installed with urethane sealant and capped with stainless trim. If this is the case for yours, you could remove the windshield but not install it.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

There are Youtube videos on how to do this, but I have attempted to remove good windshields several times, and damaged them in the process. The polyurethane adhesive is very hard and dense when it is this old. If you warm it in a garage, and use a super sharp knife, you might be able to cut it out from the inside (cut through the glue). Professionals use an electric tool like a reciprocating saw (a "Sawzall"), with a big knife blade type of "saw blade" in it. Most important thing would be to be patient, cut all around the inside going around and around until you are through the glue, than lift it out.
I tried a windsheild tool (a handle with a 90 deg knife and a t-handle to pull it along), and a small wire to feed though a knife cut and than saw it back and forth until it cuts the glue. both sort of worked, but pushing on the glass from the inside after it was mostly cut resulted in the glass cracking. It may also become brittle with age, because I was surprised how easy it cracked. It was too much work considering you can buy a new one in the states for about $100-150.

it might be easier to cut the metal out around the glass, than you can take the glass with the metal frame glued to it inside to warm it up, and work on it on a bench or other easy to reach height.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
mattiasvinge

Post by mattiasvinge »

Thanks for the tips!
petors
where do you buy your glas? I found out, its realy hard, started with the already broken glass and brok it sevral times. In the manual it stand that you should use a piano strong 6mm i tried with one from a guitar but didnt work. Realy hard glue :D
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
mattiasvinge

Post by mattiasvinge »

Petros wrote: It was too much work considering you can buy a new one in the states for about $100-150.

Good luck.
My problem and the Tercel's problem is that every Workshop stay costs more than buying æ "New" tercel :evil:
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

i had a new windshield put in my wagon last spring, wasn't cheap 420.00 Canadian dollars,tinted top and they even had a new trim clip kit for it in stock
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

I got one out using guitar string. Plain with no coil wrap. Wire broke several times but cut fast. To reinstall I bought a tube of urathane glue made for windshields online.
My brother got one out using reciprocating saw with modified blade. No teeth , sharpened sides and chisel end.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
mattiasvinge

Post by mattiasvinge »

xirdneh wrote:I got one out using guitar string. Plain with no coil wrap. Wire broke several times but cut fast. To reinstall I bought a tube of urathane glue made for windshields online.
My brother got one out using reciprocating saw with modified blade. No teeth , sharpened sides and chisel end.
Nice, just have the nylon shit or cool wrap, but brakewire from an old bikesycle works ok :)
IMG_20161203_135013482.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mattiasvinge

Post by mattiasvinge »

IMG_20161203_135044925.jpg
mattiasvinge

Post by mattiasvinge »

It got trough the controll 2years ago, and the windshield is still in. Now its time for a new again!