Dredded TVSV part

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
djao
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel DLX Econo Standard

Dredded TVSV part

Post by djao »

After searching through a bunch of sites, and unfortunately being in Alaska. Parts are very hard to find. I've been rebuilding an 83 Tercel with the 3AC engine, and managed to fix the TVSV a few times, but since it is so brittle, it has officially broken and I have no way to find one here.

Does anyone have a TVSV valve I could purchase from them?

Thank you for all your help with this, my next step of course would be the Weber Carb, but this is a much cheaper fix if I can get it somewhere. Adam
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Dredded TVSV part

Post by xirdneh »

i will look to see if i can spare one.
i have a car with 32/36 weber and it only gets 23 mpg
am in process of swapping jets (abt 10.00 a piece) to try and increase mpg
might want to wait till i get better results if thats possible
a friend of mine disconnected the tvsv and his car runs pretty good but not sure of mpg
might not be any worse than weber
weber is expensive too
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

might be possible to by-pass the TVSV, after the engine is warm it stays in the same position. if you rig it so the vac lines are connected directly to their locations when the TVSV is in the "warm" position, it should run just fine. It just means you will have to allow the engine to warm a bit longer before you can drive it.

Rigged properly without the TVSV, it will have a flat spot on cold start up for a minute or two, than after it is warm, it will drive normally.

Use the description of the systems in the service manual to determine where to run the vac lines without the TVSV. Also, there is a simple TVSV test that indicates which ports are open and closed in the various operating temperatures, that can also be used a guide to buy pass the TVSV.

good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Came up with a way of bypassing the TVSV a few years back. I'd post a link to the thread, but can't (too stupid!) Just do a search on "gc electronics" and it'll come up.

Hope this helps.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

rer233 wrote:Came up with a way of bypassing the TVSV a few years back. I'd post a link to the thread, but can't (too stupid!) Just do a search on "gc electronics" and it'll come up.

Hope this helps.

That did not work
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

djao
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel DLX Econo Standard

Post by djao »

Thank you guys for the information. Sorry I haven't been on here recently, I've been pretty much rebuilding the engine slowly now because of the headgasket - and someone totaled my Honda Metropolitan a few weeks ago :(.

Thank you xirdneh for the help, it was much needed and the engine is doing well, other than my head gasket issue, well and radiator.... But it's on order now, still hard to track down parts to have sent to South East Alaska but I managed to find what I needed on Amazon and at Orielly's.

I've tried looking around on the forum, but has anyone had experience with EverGreen gaskets?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007P ... UTF8&psc=1
I do have a Fel Pro gasket that I picked up locally. But the Evergreen seems to have all the other gaskets that I may was well replace while doing the head gasket walkthrough Petros has on the forum.

Thank you all for your help.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

I base my head gasket selection on the width of that narrow spot between cylinders.
The width on the block is 0.4 inch.
I try to find gaskets that are at least 0.3 inch.
Every fel-pro I have measured is .18 inch and have replaced quite a few of them that blew out between cylinders.
Ordering online makes it difficult because you have to look carefully at the pictures and guess at the width but I have had good luck doing that.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the Amazon ad does not state the country of origin for the gasket set, it does show an ASIN part number, but that may just be a reference to the factory part number.

the picture in ad showing the head gasket, it appears it has rather narrow separations between the cylinders, not the wider configuration as noted by Xirdneh.

See the attached images for the fel-pro, the DNJ (who supposedly use Japan soured parts), and ITM. I have used all of them before, and despite fel-pro's reputation, I do not think I would use them again. Fel-pro appears to have the narrowest margin between cylinders. Also notice that ITM head gasket already has the extra coolant circulation holes between the cylinders, and Fel-pro and DNJ does not. I have had bad luck with other DNJ parts not fitting correctly, and no response to my complaint to them, so I will no longer buy DNJ if I can avoid it.

I have not found the complete gasket sets worthwhile, usually I just replace the head gasket, and if necessary the coolant by pass o-ring, and the head pipe gasket. if the others are in good condition, they can be reused. Rock auto has a better price on a similar gasket set than the Amazon price: http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyo ... t+set,5412
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)