Got my A/C charged up!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Finally got my A/C filled today! It works AWESOME! Blows ice cold almost immediately after pushing the button. I only need to keep it on for a few minutes and the car is cold enough that I turn it off. I've never had a car with a/c, so I'm pretty excited about it. I lived through a hot summer last year without it running.

My tercel never came from the factory with a/c, but rather had an aftermarket kit installed that does connect to the factory harness/button etc. The A/C shop that did the work on my system said that apparently my car has an excellent quality aftermarket kit. A type that rarely has any leak problems. I was really happy about that. The system is designed for R134. Apparently my a/c system is in great shape too.

Mine doesnt have the Econo mode that the factory ones have. It's either on all the way or not on at all.

Haha! Thing I found most funny is the power drain it causes on my engine. The car's acceleration is greatly affected.

Ironically the hot weather we've been having came to an end just as my system was fixed. Oh well...it'll be back!

Anyhow, just thought I'd share my happiness.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

My car was running it so cold for a while that I iced up the evaporator on a really humid day, then got no cooling until I turned it off and let the ice melt. Now it doesn't work at all, and I can't find where the leak is.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

3A-C Power wrote: My car was running it so cold for a while that I iced up the evaporator on a really humid day, then got no cooling until I turned it off and let the ice melt. Now it doesn't work at all, and I can't find where the leak is.
CRAP! :o I better make sure I don't do that, although I don't think we get that humid here in the west in summer. Thats weird that yours stopped working after that...you think the refrigerant leaked out?
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
jpkeels

Post by jpkeels »

I had the AC recharged in mine right before I bought. Unfortunately, the guy who sold it to me obviously had a moron charge it because they overcharged it and one of the seals in the compressor blew out. Fortunately, the guy that sold the car to me a few weeks ago stood behind the sale and fixed the compressor for me. He felt badly about it. It is unusual that someone selling a used car would do that I think. Anyway, it has a rebuilt compressor in it now and the AC works great. Of course, it socks the car on power which is already not a lot to begin with but if I travel to SC or GA this summer I will be glad that I have the AC when I leave the NC mountains. :)
Chris
Top Notch Member

Post by Chris »

3A-C

If you are frosting the evap that usually means the charge is a little on the low side. You need to run the temp/pressure above freezing (I like around 40 F). If you have leaked out all the freon there are a couple of ways to find the leak...Look for oil around the joints (the oil is sometimes carried out with the freon)...Add a little dye in the oil (that will help you spot the leak).

A good way to tell the amount of charge (without pressure gauges) is to look at the sight glass on the top of the receiver. The FSM gives the conditions to look for as the compressor cycles on and off.

Hope this helps
Inkyturbo
Top Notch Member

Post by Inkyturbo »

My A/C works well and on the Econo setting it doesn't slow down the car much. My A/c works as well as GTS describes.
Josh G.

Joy is passing a brand new car at 80 in the fastlane, with your 22 year old Japanese economy car.

1983 Toyota Tercel Wagon (4WD, SR5)