Its almost adventur time. Rack and Tent install.

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
SirNik83
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD, Custom Paint Job, MR2 Wheels, Pistol Grip Shifter

Its almost adventur time. Rack and Tent install.

Post by SirNik83 »

Hey there!
Some of you may remember last year I took the Tercel on an off road adventure with my friend and their big trucks. This year I'm doing it again! and hopefully no mechanical issues on the trail ;)
In preparation for this years trip I got a roof top tent. I've wanted one for years, but this year it happened. I got my friends hooked on an YouTube show called Expedition Overland. If you haven't seen it you might like it:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ExpeditionOverland
Anyway, after seeing these guys live out of their roof top tents my friends were behind the idea. So with a little peer pressure I decided to get one too. Many jokes ensued about the little tercel with a tent on its head. But I know the car can take it. My friend stopped by and dropped off a nice weather guard rack that once held a ladder on his van. With a little cutting I got the racks to fit the Tercel.
After riding around thinking about it I decided I wanted to modify the racks further and weld them up solid.
I then measured for the tent and installed some bars joining the front and rear cross bars.
You can see there I welded the word front on the rack, because despite the roof to the tercel looking square, its not. I feared scratching up the paint, if it ever had nice paint, by putting it on backwards in the future.
After some debating I decided to weld in the middle cross bar, I had it might as well use it.
With the rack fitting perfect it was time to paint.
After a nice coat of primer, I painted with white to go with the blue and white theme of my tercel.
She's all ready for the tent!
Last edited by SirNik83 on Wed May 11, 2016 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
My first car was a Tercel, and I'm still driving a Tercel, some people say I need an Intervention.
SirNik83
Top Notch Member

Re: Its almost adventur time. Rack and Tent install.

Post by SirNik83 »

Today was tent day!

I had a few friends ask how the tent folded up. so here is a picture show.
(sorry I'm not a better looking actor :D )

This is what she looks like all button down and ready for the road.
My first car was a Tercel, and I'm still driving a Tercel, some people say I need an Intervention.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Just - WOW!. You pups!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

So amazing! I saw one of those in a magazine awhile back and have always wanted one. Damn good job!!
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I have one of the old canvas ones from the 1960's that we got from my wife's grandparents. Your roof rack is much more heavy-duty.
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SirNik83
Top Notch Member

Post by SirNik83 »

Heck yeah, I like your old tent. I hope my tent last as long as yours has. The tent cost $1600. was a hard pill to swallow when I originally bought the tercel for $80. Yeah, the tercel was a shell when I bought it, but still. My friend pointed out that now the car is worth $1680 :mrgreen: But I figure if my tent last 10 years its a good investment. I love seeing that you have a tent from the 60s!! I can't wait to take it camping.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

that's a burly looking tent, sirnik. looks awesome. good luck on your trip, hope there are no bad surprises this time out.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

SWEEEEEEEET :oldgeek:

Where you guys hitting the trail this year?
SirNik83
Top Notch Member

Post by SirNik83 »

We're going to drive the High Rock Canyon north of Black Rock Desert. Planning on driving from the north end of the canyon down to the back rock desert and then base camping there. Driving out on day trips to the near by hot springs, or maybe we camp at a hot springs.

Here is a video of a guy driving the High Rock Canyon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt6HisQGq5w

I'm really looking forward to the canyon drive and then swimming in the hot springs.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

looks like a good place to go in the spring. May already be heating up there already. Hope your Tercel has the clearance for that road.

I have always loved those roof rack tents, but my budget does not allow me to get one. perhaps I can find one used some day...or make my own. I have a number of hiking dome tents, all I need is a platform and perhaps I can adapt it to work the same way. Though I would not have the slick fast set up of course.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SirNik83
Top Notch Member

Post by SirNik83 »

Thats what I wanted for years, just the platform and put a dome tent on it. Then I shelled out the cash for the fancy one. If you get the dome tent set up post pics! I've thought about it so many times would be neat to see how it works in reality.
knot2shabby

Post by knot2shabby »

I so badly want to these pictures, any chance @SirNik83 can repost them somehow without photobucket, seems you closed your photobucket account. I really want to look into roof top tent options.

Thanks for sharing.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Photobucket have cancelled everyones account unless you pay them $5 a month. I had an email about this yesterday. So annoying.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms