Tercel Art

Post here about...well...anything!
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 SR5 Wagon

Re: Tercel Art

Post by 4doorVIP »

dude yes!
I just made a phone case from SpreadShirt https://www.spreadshirt.ca/samsung-gala ... 1009932583

2JZGTE-powered Tercel SR5
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

If it REALLY was the breaking bad one though, the fuel door should be on the driver's side, as they used a FWD wagon.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
MCOM

Post by MCOM »

Hello Forum,
My name is Tom and I am the creator of the Tercels-Art as 'Monkey Crisis On Mars'. Mark contacted me through my page at pixels.com and I feel flattered that you guys like my work. I think this is the first time my art got picked up by a forum. I'm happy that it's the Tercel because I always rant on how boring modern Toyotas (still good cars though) have become compared on what actually build their reputation in the past. When I started looking for references when starting the Tercels I kept saying myself: "Wow, this is such a brilliant design, this makes more sense than many SUVs!". So thank you to all of you who purchased something through my page.
That being said I actually don't own a real one. I don't have access to a place to work on cars, so no projects beyond maintenance and a few repairs. Hopefully the garage-fairy will kiss me soon so I can screw up things again and ruin my bank account. I really miss that.

I'm in San Diego and currently a stay at home-dad. The car art I publish is something I started when I realized that clients and deadlines are totally not working anymore. I love great cars and I believe they come in many shapes and sizes. I read the white wagon with the blue decals actually belongs to a forum member? I think I saw the picture on Tumblr. I was under the impression that it's stock since it looks very clean.

My production output is not that high right now but I'm always looking for great builds or rare details. So shoot me a message (or post it here if that's ok) and I will answer. I offering products through different websites. So if you are looking for something particular let me know. My favorite at the moment is http://www.redbubble.com/people/monkeycom but all the designs are also available at Artsmoto.com (although not that well sorted).

Tom
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

I'm actually planning to copy that decal design from the white tercel for my BF's tercel, but using Toyota's current WRC colors they're using on TMG's Yaris.
Here's the Yaris in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGtRDM5CwCE
In livery:

Love plugging it, it's the only Toyota I like right now besides the Sienna (which is surprisingly engaging to drive). Otherwise, it feels like Toyota cares only about reliability.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

That is great car art you are doing Tom, welcome to the forum.

that Yaris looks like it would be a blast to drive. I like small cars, the Yaris looks like a fun little odd duck compared to most other cars. typically a car company comes out with a fun small car, and than it grows bigger and heavier with each new model year. like the civic, the Rav4, Celica, Mini Cooper (no longer a small car, the current model I call a maxi cooper). Hopefully they keep the Yaris small and fun.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome, MCOM !
To say we appreciate your work is an understatement - but I'd guess you realize it!
You will not find a more congenial car group than this one - no flaming or hating - just helping.
We may be a little more (OK - a lot more) impecunious than, say, the Bimmer Boyz or the Porsche Punks, but our affection for our little guys is true.
A question - as member dlb pointed out - where did you get the inspiration for the red Terc with the drooping side trim? Tres clever!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
MCOM

Post by MCOM »

Thanks! I have to admit I spend a lot of time reading about projects in smaller car community forums. My wife is driving a Jetta and when I'm tired of reading about the same Raceland-coilover-questions I sneak over to the Quantum/Dasher and Sciroccos. That Yaris looks indeed very nice. I'm looking for a sporty smaller car with a modern design. My wife loves driving manual so I might look into the options there. I'm working on a set of Scion iQs which I like since a friend got one. The racing trim looks similar.

Back to the my Tercels: The blue, brown and white where taken from photos I found on the Internet. I remember it was difficult because I couldn't find much on how they looked stock and what trim lines where offered. They looked stock so I picked them. The red one is indeed inspired by Jesse Pinkman's car in Breaking Bad. The side trim was just something I noticed while watching it. That fuel door is actually a detail I missed. The top one is a mash-up of a setup I saw on a slammed Mitsubishi Shuttle and some cars I read about from Scandinavia and how they are modified to drive during the cold and dark winters.
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

Hey Tom good to see you here. Not sure if anyone mentioned it or not, but your stack of Tercels actually managed to capture the major factory wheel designs of our cars. The Steel wheels with center caps, the "pizza box" alloy wheels, the atypical steel wheels with bi-directional slits and center caps, and the "buzz saw" alloys. People hate the buzz saw alloys because they're hard to clean, and the Pizza Box alloys are highly sought after by some of the purists here.

Welcome to the cult. :)

M_M.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Mad_Marx wrote:, the "pizza box" alloy wheels,...
minor point, those are "pizza cutter" alloys. We also like the factory MR2 "triangle" allow wheels on the Tercel, not "stock" but they should have been. they look better on the Tercel than the MR2.
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

I've heard them referred to as both, pizza box for the square design, pizza cutter I assume because they are not very wide. But I could be wrong, happens all the time :)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

it is the style of the spokes, not the wheel width. The "saw blade" style is actually wider than the pizza cutter style. It would only be a saw blade based on the style of the spokes.

It does not look to me much like a pizza cutter either, not even sure who named it that (perhaps there is a squarish rotating blade style pizza cutter? Never seen one). they look more like "Tron" style to me.

But neither does it remind me of a pizza box, that reference for the wheel style completely escapes me.
MCOM

Post by MCOM »

Would be great of the ones who ordered something give me a feedback. I'm always curious about the quality of the final product. What I know so far:
Spreadshirt: The cheapest T-Shirts are good. Usually they are Gildan. Unless you want a special shape or color they are fine. The cheap sweaters (Fruit of the Loom) on the other hand are not that great.
Pixels.com: The pillows are awesome. Print quality is great and the fabric has proven to withstand a three-year-old. Order without the filling and get one (with coupon) for cheap at Jo-Ann's. I feel their prints are rather expensive.
Redbubble: The travel mugs are good but due to the shape it happens that the print stretches. I heard the bed duvet covers are good too. Well, for the price they better be! People order a lot of stickers and so far no returns. So they can't be bad. To be honest right now Redbubble is my favorite. Everything comes in a cool box with a card, which makes it really nice for presents. Spreadshirt orders come in a dull white plastic bag. Same with Pixels.com (aka Fine Art America)

P.S.: If any of you want text added on your shirts send me message. Spreadshirt charges for anything you add to the selected design extra printing fees even it's on the same place. I seriously don't get that, since I'm sure in the end it's just one print. I can do that plus it will look nicer than created with their editor (for reference try http://artsmotorshirts.spreadshirt.com). Make a screenshot and I will create a single graphic.
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member

Post by Mad_Marx »

Not for nothin', but Tom made a Bad-Ass version of the stack of Tercels with my Chronological Tercel Hisotry. Letting the cat out of the bag a bit early, the yellow car is what Terc II will look like from the outside when she's all done. I love that he got Terc II's currently missmatched, rusted, dented, crapped out fender/door combo right!

http://www.redbubble.com/people/monkeyc ... l25-wagons

I think a composite of member cars is in order... maybe one of cool paint schemes and one of lifted AL25's ? I put a bug in his ear about those sweet MR2 Alloys.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

So beautiful. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
MCOM

Post by MCOM »

BaileySims wrote:So beautiful. :)
Thanks for sharing that photo. I've never seen it on a black shirt. Isn't Redbubble's packaging great?

Talking about the lifted Tercels: I would like to make another 'stack' (that would make five) only featuring the off-road wagons. I would like to keep it realistic and functional, so no big foot or bro-dozers :D
But since it's just on paper we can play around a bit (snow tires, fender flares, themes, spare wheel, etc.). So what should a lifted Tercel look like? Or how should Toyota have offered an off-road version?
Thanks,
Tom

Attached a VW Golf 2 Country build by Steyr-Daimler-Puch in Austria. I really like the package with the skid plate, flares, and rocker panels.