1984 FWD abused

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: 1984 FWD abused

Post by rer233 »

rer233 wrote:dlb- Check out my post from a year and a half ago (I'd post a link, but can't- too stupid.) Just do a search on "MB switchover valve" and it'll come up. Sorry I never posted pics, but don't know how to do that either!
That's the one- I'll have to get my brother over here sometime to post some pics...
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Tercel
My tercel:: 1984 FWD DLX

Post by Tercel »

Messed with the car a bit today. It still spits a ton of black smoke. I have new gaskets for the carb but have yet to look into that process...
A few pics and sanding progress!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that looks like a california emissions set up, that car must have had a long, hard road to it current owner.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Tercel

Post by Tercel »

Progress
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i hate to tell you this now but you don't need to sand down to bare metal for a rattle can paint job. i usually don't even scuff the surface, although everything i've read recommends that for better adhesion of the new paint. i just wash, degrease, tape off, and give lots of light coats. i've painted lots of stuff that way and it's worked well for me. nice smooth finish that has stuck just fine.

however, with a car like yours that has already been rattle canned, some sanding is necessary to even out the high and low spots of the camo paint. i learned this while painting a VW van with my wife. it had been roughly rattle canned by the previous hippie owners and their old handiwork showed through our paint job. unfortunately, my wife was impatient and used 80 or 60 grit sandpaper on the bad spots so in the end, the sanded spots looked just as rough. oh well, live and learn. we sold it and the new owners really liked our paint job anyway.

here's said van. i added purple and pink pin stripes later that really made it 80's retro. wish i had pics of that.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5672&p=42092#p42341
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

just found i do have some pics of the pin strips, i even posted some here.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6856&p=50954

and here are a few more

Tercel

Post by Tercel »

Thanks for that. The Van looks quite nice with that paint and I like the color scheme and stripes too. Must have taken a looot of cans for a bigger vehicle like that
I think I did go a bit overboard sanding but my goal was to get it down to the original silver paint and grey primer. I did get down to bare metal in spots all over the car by accident though. I might even buy a can of primer and spray it on and sand it down just to get a bit of practice for when I paint something nicer.

Haven't been doing much with Tercel but it is getting close to the time to paint! I am thinking Olive Drab for fun, or maybe Silver like it was originally so that I can actually sell it when I need to. Of course black would be great too... :idea:
Tercel

Post by Tercel »

I really want to address my steering problems soon. Of course this is the FWD Tercel wagon
The steering wheel itself has about 8 inches of play before the wheels turn, and it sits upside down when the wheel is straight.
When the front of the vehicle is lifted, the wheels can easily be pulled to rock left and right.
There is a gap on the rack and pinion that opens up when the wheel is turned all the way to the right. The 3 photos are all trying to show that
Maybe something is wrong or missing with the bracket over it? Not totally sure what I am looking at.

If I need to give up more pics or info I certainly will!

Insight would be very appreciated!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i can't tell what i'm looking at but i think that's one of the rack bushings that holds the steering rack to the cross member. if there's any play (aka if you can wiggle the rack) at all, the bushing needs to be replaced.

it also sounds like your alignment is way out, and your inner and outer tie rods are suspect too. to check the tie rods, jack the front of the car up and push and pull on the tires, just like how the wheels turn when you steer normally. there should be no play, the wheel should not clunk at all. it should be tight in that position. if there is play, look at the inner and outer tie rods to see if either of them is the source of the play. if anything has play, it needs to be replaced.

here's a good write up on how to check and adjust the alignment at home.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2273
Tercel

Post by Tercel »

Appreciate it, we were thinking it was the bushing and that confirms it. One of my tie rods is good and one shot.
I've put waay more cash into this than it is worth really (which shouldn't remotely be a surprise, oh well), but I suppose I may as well buy a rack and pinion kit for ~$140 to come with new tie rods via RockAuto. Otherwise it would be around $28 for the bushing and $12 tie rod at first glance. The boots are even more expensive and mine look awful. Going to read up for a day or two and decide
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

there are generic boots that only cost about $10 each, you trim them to fit. the kit does not sound like a bad deal if you need everythign in it, but see what actually needs to be replaced and compare the cost of buying those with the kit cost. I rarely buy gasket kits anymore for this reason, usually you get a lot of gaskets you do not need.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

Petros wrote:I rarely buy gasket kits anymore for this reason, usually you get a lot of gaskets you do not need.
This is really good advice. I was told I should get the Toyota engine gasket kit for my 1ZZ overhaul. I now have about $50 worth of gaskets I didn't use. Actually it may be closer to like $75...anyway, otherwise I would have spent around $75 total and not almost $200. Regrets.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

3ac gasket kits are typically about $100-120, yet you can buy a head gasket, manifold gasket, valve cover gasket, seals and o-rings for about $25 from Rock auto, perhaps $45 from Autozone, and use a $5 tube of sealant on anything else.

if I can get the gasket out without damage, like the intake/exhaust gasket, I reuse it without issue.