Hi from Australia

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Re: Hi from Australia

Post by larry mcgrath »

Drift ,where do you live? I have a son that has lived in Perth for the last 5 years, if you know any thing about BEER -- one of my fevorite subjects---- He has won best amature brewer in WA for the last 3 years, this year he won best amature brewer in Australia. Sorry for the rave---- like drifters Larry
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

if the engine sat for while, it could be the oil rings are gummed up and not doing their job. something like a Seafoam treatment was for exactly this kind of problem.

Try using Seafoam, (or what ever equvalent you have there) in the oil and down the combustion chamber to loosen the gummed up rings. You are supposed to drain the oil after the treatment.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
driftke70
My tercel:: 83 wagon 4wd stock

Post by driftke70 »

Hi Larry I am on the complete other side of the island! On the sunshine coast.
Shoot me the name of his beer I will take one for the team and put myself on the line to try it.

Does anyone have any pics of this sea foam stuff so I can find it or at least an equivalent.

We have some three bond stuff here but its hard to say without knowing what its name and intended use is.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

hi driftke, I put this on the parts, parts thread but will put here instead re; rear reflector

Hi Driftke, My Tercel in Melbourne had the same reflector. it pops right out and all you need to do is carefully pry off the interior cover to the rear hatch reach into the door and you will see the lugs that hold the reflector in place to the plastic plate surround which will fit an australian plate. the reflector will probably just be siliconed in. you just need to pop it out. reconnect the numberplate lights (mine was just a socket). I then removed the external plate holder and put some plastic plugs in the holes in the body work. good luck mate. only nsw and vic had these reflectors... collectors items. haha
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
driftke70

Post by driftke70 »

true?

I have thought about remaking it or redoing it with a fresh piece of acrylic and maybe chucking a dim light behind it for
maximum rep on the highway haha.

I put a can of decarboniser i guess you could call it through the car today but it started running like ass, I took it for a drive
and it drives a smidge better but wouldn't idle afterwards and for some reason the petrol in the bowl was bubbling and boiling.

So ill fire it up tomorrow and see whats up. I noticed it seemed to wreck the adhesive between the adapter plate and the carby.

Hopefully fixes my highway smoke woes. The more I think about it a sitting motor would get sticky rings.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Heres my two old Tercels worth from 12 years ago.
From what I read. some state in australia thought that the number plate holder on the Tercel was to far over to the passenger side to be seen easily (?) so Toyota had to make the aftermarket plate holder to sit behind the driver and then to make more people notice put a huge reflector on the now useless factory plate holder. I bet the original globes are in there still. I had both plate holder lights going for a while and wanted to make the reflector a disco light or a huge ass brake light.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
driftke70

Post by driftke70 »

True?

Mines exactly the same.

I might just get some tube spacers and a rectangle of translucent red acrylic and cut it into the shape and space it out and hook the number plate lights up and see if i can get a glow out of it.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Mattel wrote:[img]
From what I read. some state in australia thought that the number plate holder on the Tercel was to far over to the passenger side to be seen easily (?) so Toyota had to make the aftermarket plate holder to sit behind the driver and then to make more people notice put a huge reflector on the now useless factory plate holder.
government bureaucrats can be such idiots sometimes. As if someone will miss a plate on the back of a car because it is off center.
driftke70

Post by driftke70 »

"sometimes"

does anyone in aus have one of the air duct tubes that go under the steering wheel from the center console to the far right air vent? Mine is missing for some reason.
driftke70

Post by driftke70 »

Also does anyone know where the air conditioning wires should be going or should be doing.

I have tried hooking mine up and it wont work but if I do it direct to the compressor I can get it to lock up. Would really love working air con. Even if someone just has photos of where the two wires on the compressor go or what ever.
83Whit3Hatch
My tercel:: 1983 3 Door Stripper Model. Grey seats with red inserts. 5spd swap.100W 9003 bulb upgrade.

Post by 83Whit3Hatch »

Here's a pic of what the Seafoam looks like
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

if the ac appears to be connected, verify the system is pressurized before you wire it directly. the system has a pressure switch that will prevent the clutch from engaging the compressor if the system does not have refrigerant in the it, it is to prevent compressor damage running without the lubricants that are included in the refrigerant mix.

I had an a/c from another car I installed in a car going to Texas, had a an A/C shop replace all of the seals and than charge it up. worked great. Several weeks later it was not working, I tested the compressor by jumping it directly. It worked, but was not putting out cold air. I shut it off and studied the wire diagram to track down the "problem", when I by passed the switch it also engaged. so there was no more refrigerant in the system, it all leaked out. one of the seals was misinstalled.

So make sure there is refrigerant in the system, the problem may not be electrical.

Good luck.
driftke70

Post by driftke70 »

Interesting

Whats a new compressor worth

You guys in the states don't know how lucky you are with pricing its 150 bucks just for a gas top up here
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

A gas top?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

irowiki wrote:A gas top?
AC gas top up, aka refill