OOOH!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Okay, having been a dunce and not tryed pulling the left caliper, I did that this morning. The left now spins moderatly freely, though the Geo still had less effort. No effect on the right though. So I think I'll try nabbing the Blue's calipers, and steering knuckle if I can pull that and not screw up the settings.
I still have to test the butt end.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I had another post on the page before, just before this one.
I'd love to know what to use to clean out the tranny quickly...

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I used 4 qts of 20W50 motor oil and drove it real easy for 50 miles. I wouldn't use anything much lighter than that.

Best bet is to drain the oil and look for metal on the magnets or real fine stuff suspended in the oil.

Doubt if your problem is the diff though....unless you find the metal.

My guess is that the front diff on the Tercel is partially some kind of limited slip affair...can't prove it though.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

takza wrote: My guess is that the front diff on the Tercel is partially some kind of limited slip affair...can't prove it though.
I'd be very surprised if it was. In my Tercel off-roading, I've never had any experiences that would lead me to believe it was anything but a normal open diff on both ends of the car.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I bought 5 quarts of Supertech (Wally-world's chepo stuff) SAE 85W-140 GL-5. Was the only thing they had in stock. I almost bought a canister of liquid B-12 Chemtool to pour in with the old stuff but then figured I'd ask if that was such a wise decision.

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Unless you know you have a self-destructing trans like mine...a flush isn't probably needed with a manual...just get it hot...drain it with the filler open....put in the new stuff.

Not sure you should use the heavy 85W140 if you could avoid it.

You need to look at the two plugs with the magnets..see how much metal there is...how big the pieces are. If the old gear oil looks a bit like metalic paint before it's been sprayed....THEN you should flush it?

Sticking brakes and rolling resistance...

Best test for this is when out driving and stopping at an intersection (backroads only)...on a level surface...get the car rolling just slightly (1/2 mph) and see how fast it stops by itself. Real easy to tell if there is drag.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I'm going to go drain and may take some photo's now. Is 85W-140 even too heavy for normal use? I just grabbed what I found... Do I need to go trade back in for a lighter oil? I can still do that if I need to.

I see that 80W-90 API GL-5 is recommended. Whats the best to use for a climate that can go from -20F to 120F ? Its the coldest its been in weeks right now at 82* @ 11:10 AM. In winter we normally see temps around 20-30* but when the big snows hit (when is the key lol) we have seen -28* before. Thats all in Fahrenheit.

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

85W-140 is going way above the spec. I wouldn't use it if you're trying to improve mileage at all.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Okay then. Like I said, I grabbed what they had. After reading the manual, I see it wants 80W-90, so I called the Supercenter (I went to one of the original-style stores) and they say they have it and providing I didn't open either container I can directly trade. I plan to do that as soon as my folks let me drive their truck lol.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Oh God that smell is nausiating >.<
Well, the deed is done. The only thing Wally-world had was a siphon system that took 5 hours to get the 4.5 quarts in, but its in. I'm hosting the pics of the diff plug and a sample of the oil as we speak.
There were 2 chunks in the tranny drain plug, one very thin and about 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch, the other about 1/16 inch thick and 1/8 inch x 1/8 inch. Nothing massively significant fortunatly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This pic is after having shaken the bottle vigorously..... Non-transparent. Same amount of oil as below

Not much to speak of on the diff plug... Just a bunch of shavings.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Yeah...

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

To see the metallic effect...you have to look at the surface of the oil in open air...might not show up in a pic.

Those chunks are signif...means "somebody" been shiftin' too hard.

And that collection of particles look about like what I've been getting...before the meltdown....though my trans would probably have last another 50K if it hadn't been used hard offroad.

As an example of how you'd want one to look would be the spare trans I have (160K)...plugs had a good bit of very fine particles...like it hadn't been changed in a long time...NONE of the larger stuff.

I'm not real partial to that onion/sulfur smell myself...try and get that stuff off your clothes....

I rigged up a windshield washer motor (car) to put the oil in...works but takes about 6 mins per qt and the motor tends to overheat.