Who would rather have RWD/4WD?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Wouldn't you rather be able to change between rear wheel drive and 4 wheel drive? Rear wheel drive has such superior handling and is better for towing because it doesn't stress the whole body. I think it would be so much better that I'm planning to design an adapter that would change the car into this configuration. All it would do is add an engagement/disengagement mechanism between the output shaft and the front differential pinion gear shaft. I would have to add a spacer between the transmission housing and the front diff/bellhousing. The design challenge is to make a transfer hub that is strong but as short as possible. The transmission would then be moved backwards, so the shifter and driveshaft would have to be dealt with as well. Maybe I could do this in conjunction with the Supra front LSD conversion. If it was done with the original front differential housing, I could sell it as a kit to whoever wants one. If it includes custom fabrication to the housing, I could sell one and ask for the original housing in exchange, which I would modify into another unit. Is anyone else interested? Would you pay a couple hundred bucks to have rear wheel drive instead of front wheel drive? I'm not looking to make any money from this, I know that I could never make money from the Tercel 4WD, the demand simply isn't there. I would only ask for something to cover the expense of the parts and materials involved. According to the engineering code of ethics, I have to 'uphold the principle of adequate compensation for engineering work', so I can't engineer stuff for free. Well, I'm not a professional engineer yet so I guess I can for a little while.
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

I thought frount-weel had better handeling on almost all accounts?
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I'd be interested for sure! Even if it costed me $400 I'd probably go for it. RWD kicks ass :D . Then I'd really have to put a 4age in it with an LSD in the back. I can see it now...a drifting tercel wagon :P . No, seriously, I definitely would be interested.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
WeirdAl

Post by WeirdAl »

If you are going rwd, I'd just go rwd... With the setup we have, I just don't see it as feasible to be able to selectively disengage the fwd...
WeirdAl

Post by WeirdAl »

How do locking hubs work? That might be an option to disengage the front drive components....
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I'm talking about building new components for the transmission.
Guest_aznflick

Post by Guest_aznflick »

Im with GTSSportCoupe

Fwd is better when slow.
rwd handles better when they go fast much smaller understeer compare to fwd.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

FWD handles better in low traction conditions.
Any advancements on this?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
rust collector

Post by rust collector »

I would like rwd, as I tow a trailer a lot.

As for handling, I feel it is two different ways to drive the car, but the front tires on the fwd car has to do all the work, and the rwd can "split" the work on 4 tires???

I had a ford fiesta once, and it was great in the snow, but I could lift the rear off the ground... The engine is all that weigh anything in small cars. Maybe that is why?

Then again, we drove a 70 cadilac eldorado in winter, and it was good too :huh:
I have no idea about that things weight distribution :(
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

i would be interested, want some poliurethane bushings for you suspension in exchange???? can it be arranged
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Just so you all know, this was an old post. 3A-C may have dropped the project. We'll wait for his response.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
rust collector

Post by rust collector »

So, maybe I have to pick it up again......