Zach's 1985 4WD Tercel Wagon

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Notmikeb
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 Tercel 5dr FWD

Re: Zach's 1985 4WD Tercel Wagon

Post by Notmikeb »

Check the throttle linkage and accelerator cable tightness. I couldn't get mine to idle right at first and I realized the linkage was binding right before full stop. I did..... Something? (I forget how I fixed it) and it was able to idle as low as I wanted to set it.
-------------
1985 Tercel 5dr Hatchback
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

"I don't get it! I've cut this thing FIVE times now and it's STILL too SHORT!"
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

lannvouivre wrote:This car has air suction. Without the OEM intake AS valve, exhaust gases instead come out. Not only is this really loud and a CO hazard, I also feel that it has a negative impact on underhood temperatures. I can't figure out where the pipe actually connects to the exhaust manifold, though. The plan would be to cut it off and weld on a cap...but I think I will have to remove the manifolds, and the only way I know to do this is to pull the whole head.
See solution to exhaust gases exiting the now-open port on the exhaust manifold: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9691&p=71175&hilit= ... olt#p71175
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

On my '84, the air suction tube went into the side of the catalytic converter. The tube is weak aluminum and mine cracked in half so I just removed it and plugged the port on the cat by hammering on a copper pipe cap with a similar diameter.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

You can also remove the manifolds while the head is attached to the block.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you can remove the intake/exahust manifold without removing the head; pull the carb, heat sheild and than remove the manifold bolts (and the head pipe bolts), and it will slide off.

Usually the simple solution is to just put a plug in the rubber hose.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

I found the vac leak and the car is now running nicely. Plugged the hose with a nice clamp and an engine mount bolt. Probably not going to remove the manifolds any time soon, really need to locate the oil leaks and fix them.

Need to:
Replace CV boots
Replace axle seals (front)
Replace whatever mount is letting the engine buck around
Replace carrier bearing
Replace steering rack boot gaiters
Bleed brakes. That's right, the fluid is still brown and I haven't changed it yet!

We also got the last of the parts needed to lift the car, but I need to break the struts in front down and bead blast everything, plus check condition of shock cartridges.

I need to chance the oil on my personal car and the POS Imba Impala, but the red Tercel has my jack stands all occupied. I'm thinking of putting the front mostly together on the red and taking the jack stands from its front.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Great news, everyone! I got the Tercel over to my house and got the front on some jackstands to continue my leak diagnosis!

Things that were loose:
  1. Every. Single. Bolt. On the oil pan.
  2. Did I mention they were all loose? And the gasket is rubber. I tightened them all, let's hope that lasts.
  3. The driver's side engine mount nut was so loose I took it off with my fingers
  4. The oil filter
When I lifted the engine up, a small (and bad) bearing fell out. It doesn't go to the Tercel at all. I think it was being used as a washer or spacer or idk.
When I went to drain the oil, the first thing I noticed was that there was no crush washer and the bolt wasn't really...hmm, well, it obviously needed a washer. Let's say it that way. I went to break it loose and it was too tight.

The oil came out and was thoroughly permeated with glitter, which I hope was an additive.

I installed a BLOX magnetic drain plug for extra horsepower/bling/fun next time I change the oil.

I won't be able to see to the various boots that need replaced for a while. Also, the exhaust has some blue smoke, which is great because I guess I'd love to overhaul it or throw in a 4A at some point. As long as it doesn't burn oil to the tune of like a quart every 100 miles, I will ignore it as long as I can.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

usualy a can of STP stops most of the blue smoke on start up.

where can I get a drain plug that will add hp! sounds like a great accessory. they should sell a ton of them.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

I got the plug off Amazon. I mean, it has a nice gold metallic finish so I mean

that's like 5 horsepower, right there.

We got all the stuff I need for the overhaul except parts that need to be removed, measured, and clearances checked. So, everything except for the rod and main bearings, and the piston rings because there's always the chance I will have to overbore, although I doubt it. Or that it has been overhauled before and overbored (doubt again). I was kinda thinking of just waiting until it actually starts knocking to pull and rebuild it, but it would be a shame if it knocked enough to cause damage to more than just the bearings. I am actually quite worried that I'm just looking at some stupid additive in the oil and not bearings powder.

I'm going to replace the valve stem seals on this engine's head and then pull the head from the red tercel and slap it on this engine because I don't want to buy new exhaust valves. That's like, another $28 at least and since I got fired for being "too short to work on big trucks, just too little," I'm really friggin' cheap. If we pull in enough money, I'll get new valves though. Wish I could do porting and stuff, just for laughs. That'd be cool.

As the piston rings are quite cheap and I know a guy who does machine work, I figured I'd just go ahead and hone the cylinders and rering. I find it fun. It'll be exciting, like an adventure in an engine that was probably neglected multiple times as opposed to just once like on my 1ZZ.

Also thinking of painting the engine sexy colors. I'm thinking TRD livery (red, orange, yellow, and black or white...I thought it was red, black, and white. I apologize for my stupidity. I think I may go Toyota WRC livery). Maybe I can even stencil on TOYOTA 3A-C or TOYOTA 8-VALVE CARB or something else ridiculous on it.

I still need an engine stand and a cherry picker. Alas, I was foolish for selling the ones I used on my 1ZZ overhaul! FIE!
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Now I just need a bolt and nut to hook the lifting chain up (yeah they left one out), then the engine comes out.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Engine and transmission come out tomorrow! Hopefully! I'm not sure where the last three connectors I need to unhook are, exactly. I'm looking for the back-up light switch connector, the 4WD indicator switch conn, and the EL gear indicator conn.

Also, what is the IIA that might hit the "dash panel" (firewall?)?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

IAA = distributor

Those connectors are on top of the transmission I think
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

irowiki wrote:Those connectors are on top of the transmission I think
Oh good, that's very inconvenient. Just how I like my connectors!
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

It's out!

lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

I have made a tragic discovery. The floorboards on either side of the driveshaft tunnel in the back seat area are rusted through. Also, water is dripping in through the roof, and it doesn't seem to be through the weatherstripping of the doors.

I'm hoping that patch welding can fix the holes in the floor. They are about 1.5" in diameter. If I can grind them clean and fix them with bondo like some kind of heathen-savage, I may do that to save money until a real fix is ok. I'd rather not do a hacky fix, though.