where to buy weatherstripping?

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Starbug
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel 4WD SR5 with 4AC engine swap, original inclinometer, and an original hood ornament :-)

where to buy weatherstripping?

Post by Starbug »

Does anyone know if it's even still possible to find new weatherstripping for the doors and hatch? I can't seem to find anyone who sells the stuff. Am I hosed, or does anyone know of a source?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: where to buy weatherstripping?

Post by irowiki »

Doubt you'll find it new. Probably need to find it out of a junk yard!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have pulled some good door strips from tercel4wd at picknpull, you just have to look for it.

also, there might be some generic weather stripping which is similar enough in profile you could glue it into place where yours is bad.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

If you're talking door seals and hatch seal, I seriously doubt anything's available new. Which ones do you need- I probably have good used ones in my "inventory." If not, I'll be scrapping my wrecked '88 SR5 in the not too distant future.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Starbug
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel 4WD SR5 with 4AC engine swap, original inclinometer, and an original hood ornament :-)

Post by Starbug »

Dang, that's what I was afraid of. :-( My current weatherstripping (door/hatch seals) hasn't failed yet, and isn't missing any chunks yet, but I was hoping to be able to find some fresh seals for use later (preferably after a fresh paint job?). I'd like to think I have a few more years' worth of life left in them, but who knows.

Rer233: I would like to have all four doors plus the hatch, if possible. Do you have these?
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by lucafusi »

Starburg--if you find anything, I've got a little drip alongside my driver's side door. Let me know what you come up with! I'm also in Washington..
1984 Tercel 4x4 SR5
Starbug
Top Notch Member

Post by Starbug »

lucafusi wrote:Starburg--if you find anything, I've got a little drip alongside my driver's side door. Let me know what you come up with! I'm also in Washington..
If I find anything, I will make sure to make a post for all to see. I'm sure there are lots of us who need new weatherstripping, by now. My current weatherstrip probably has a few years of life left, but eventually I too will develop leaks. So the search continues, before the problem develops.

(How'd you like that rain storm we had on Sat? Epic rain over here in the mountains! Started off with a single thunder boom that lasted for 30 seconds before stopping, then several shorter booms, and BA-WOOOOSH! The floodgates opened and the rain gushed hard from the sky! The rain was pretty epic. Visibility while driving was zero. I love storms....especially with thunder and/or lightning invovled! :D )
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by lucafusi »

Starbug wrote:(How'd you like that rain storm we had on Sat? Epic rain over here in the mountains! Started off with a single thunder boom that lasted for 30 seconds before stopping, then several shorter booms, and BA-WOOOOSH! The floodgates opened and the rain gushed hard from the sky! The rain was pretty epic. Visibility while driving was zero. I love storms....especially with thunder and/or lightning invovled! :D )
That Saturday thunder was legendary. I wish it happened more often around here.. throws you bolt upright. I do sound design for a living and would love to get some PNW thunder recordings going on one of these days..

Driving my 30-year old Tercel in a storm like that, straining to keep momentum uphill on a highway as the wipers beat back the storm. Man. It feels like it's me against the world!
1984 Tercel 4x4 SR5
Starbug
Top Notch Member

Post by Starbug »

LOL, "legendary" is a good word for it! Where I live, that kind of epic rain is normal. It rains really good over here. I too wish thunder and lightning storms were more common here. I love the sound! One of my favorite Evanescence songs is called "Eternal" because it has a great thunder & rain track in it. Enya also has a song with a little thunder in it, it's in the beginning of "Storms in Africa, Pt 1", I believe.

Oh man, we were in my husband's '81 Corolla on the freeway in that rain, a few minutes after it started. Kinda hairy. The BBQ we were headed to was sopping wet and had to improvise by putting the BBQ into a shed so that it could actually cook the food. LOL. We all stood under a large awning and tried to stay away from the edges as they periodically dumped huge amounts of collected water onto the ground. We all had a good time anyways!
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 Wagon

Post by SnowGoose »

I'm new to this site - did any try one of these from Toyota Parts Overstock? I used to get parts there for my old camry wagon.

I guess it would depend on the doors being the same size and dimensions across the different models, because it's only listing a part available for a 3 door. Does anyone know if the doors are interchangeable?

67862 6786216170 WEATHERSTRIP, FRONT DOOR, LH
TERCEL (AL21); 3 DOOR

http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/sho ... evel=18421
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

No, the door on a 3 door hatchback is "bigger" (longer) so that would not work.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
SnowGoose
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 Wagon

Post by SnowGoose »

Good to know. For the left hand side only, it says they have it for a 5-Door Sedan, which I assume means the 2wd wagon. Would that work?

67862 6786216180 WEATHERSTRIP, FRONT DOOR, LH
AL2#TERCEL (AL21); 5-DOOR SEDAN
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

As far as I knew, the doors looked the same... but it's hard to know.

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I am fairly certain the 2wd wagon body parts are all interchangeable, including the doors. 6 years ago I was given a parts car that was a 2wd wagon (blown tranny), I took a lot of parts off of it. the fender and paint color (topaz, or gold) were identical to the 4wd wagon I installed it on. the mechanical parts from the tranny and aft are different (fuel tank, floor, exhaust, rear suspension, even the rear seats are different). but all of the body parts above the floor level were the same, even the tail lights. I saved the mirrors and window regulators off of it, among many other parts. I even pulled all of the front suspension parts off of it, the rest went to the scrap yard.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

The "5 door sedan" is the 4 door hatchback, and the back doors were definitely different than on the wagon, I just can't remember if the front doors were different.

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k