Sway bar broken?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Bug
My tercel:: 86 Wagon 4WD SR5

Sway bar broken?

Post by Bug »

Q1. When starting out and sometimes accelerating my 87 4X4 SR5 thunks in the left front. Then I feel a little wiggle as though I have a flat but that goes away almost instantly. Sway bar?

Q2. Where do I order parts? I would really like to get new parts (don't laugh) if possible.
I would just replace both CVC joints, sway bars or other broken items to check.

I also need a couple brake calipers.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Sway bar broken?

Post by dlb »

check #5 in the FAQ regarding your clunk. it could be a variety of things. only way to find out is to jack up the offending corner and push/pull on things, or even take the front end apart and inspect each component. i have had shift clunk occur due to CV axles with lots of rotational play (grab the ends of the axle and turn them in opposite directions -- there should be no play whatsoever) and worn out strut mounts but it is commonly caused by several other things too. here's the FAQ. the whole thing is worth a read if you haven't taken a look already.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7442

most local parts stores still have a lot of tercel parts. rockauto.com sometimes has great deals. certain parts can only be obtained through toyota.
Bug
My tercel:: 86 Wagon 4WD SR5

Post by Bug »

I had not seen the FAQ before. Thanks for all of your answers!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

BTW, do not just throw parts at the front suspension. Always diagnose the problem BEFORE you try and fix it, or you might be replacing good parts, waste a lot of time and money, and not get the problem fixed.

since many things can cause a clunk, look for worn out parts and replace them only those one at a time until you solve the problem. Any worn parts should be replaced no matter if they are the cause or not, they will eventually fail and having the suspension and steering in good condition is always important.

fortunately, usually the parts have to be very bad before they are near the point of failing, so a minor clunk is an indication of wear, and not USUALLY an indication immanent failure. Most of the CV joints, ball joints and tie-rod ends, as well as bushings and links, have to be really worn and sloppy before they are at risk of braking off.

Most parts are still available since they are common to other models of cars, and can be ordered in most auto parts stores (usually next day or two days) or from on-line retailers like Rockauto.com (takes about a week usually).

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)