Burn outs

Post here about...well...anything!
Juando
Advanced Member

Post by Juando »

This thread is from Typrus' Clutch thread...everyone started talking about burnouts and it got me thinking about the good-ol days when I first purchased my car. I was one of those high schoolers that burned out all the time, and in the terc I took it to the next level. I would sit at stop signs or anywhere I had come to a full stop, pull the parking break tight, rev the engine to 5000 rpm and drop the clutch in first. I could spin...well.one tire forever. it was the most awsome feeling...except when there was so much smoke that I could not see anything. Tires rarely lasted me from spring to the end of fall....and studed tires too..they make a lot of sparks. Anywho, the first time I ever did that stunt, I had the fan on and fresh air on...so after about 5 to 10 seconds of spinning my tires, all this smoke starts pouring into my car through the vents..3 other people in there as well. I felt incredibly stupid because after showing off we all had to jump out of the car because we couldn't breath. heh..fun times. I perfected it later. Recirculated air with the fan on and the break up only slightly.....lets the car crawl along, making a very long stripe, and it takes forever for the smoke to get in.
them: so you're telling me your tercel has 1.5 liters...where as my pepsi has two?

me: yes, can you seat 5 people in your pepsi...and does it have 4WD? oh...my bad
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

the tercel always does shitty burnouts, those 1 wheel wonders.

my first GOOD burnout would have been in my teg, it was wet out so i could break traction easily, and luckily the teg will spin both wheels 9 times out of 10 if the steering wheel is pointing straight.

i found an empty strip, yaked on the e-brake, reved it up to 3000, let the clutch in slow and then as soon as it gripped i dumped it and hit the gas, wen't up to 5000, zinged it up to 7000 and then let off. made alot of smoke and looked really cool seeaing smoke bellowing out on both sides of my car.

reason i didn't simply dump the clutch is i don't like the sudden jolt that will put on your gears, diff and driveline.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
ghettomobile
Advanced Member

Post by ghettomobile »

what I call it when only one tire burns off is a "one tire fire". 2wd pickup trucks do this alot when you try to burn out in them, and it usually wears out one tire, which is usually on the right side. What is desireable is "4 wheel scratch", where all 4 tires are spinning and making 4 burn marks on the pavement. Subaru WRX STi's are capable of doing this on dry pavement. You can also do this in the dirt or on someones lawn, but a 4wd truck is usually best for this, because you have to hop the curb. ;) :)
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Sounds good for the front diff
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Whats real fun is being in Big Red (the F-250 in my sig) and just laughing as all 4 31" tires belt out smoke. People will just start going "HOLY SHIT! YOU SEE THAT TRUCK LIGHT ALL 4?!?" Thats funny. Of course then I have to explain that its not mine and that its my dad which kills the cool points. Oh well.
For those wondering how to light it up in an Automatic, and this is not recommended unless you have a good transmission cooler (AND STOCK IS NOT GOOD) but you mash the brake with your left foot and floor the accel with your right. If you are in a powerful RWD then the wheels will spin despite the brakes. In Big Red they both light right up :D . You then let off the brake and keep her floored. In Big Red the right tire stays engaged for about 50 feet then locks up while the left goes another 50+.
That method is also the only good way to build Turbocharger boost before a drag. You never start a drag in a turbocharged vehicle from idle. No off-idle boost = tortoise start= you might lose.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
ghettomobile
Advanced Member

Post by ghettomobile »

I have heard you were having problems with your f-250's automatic transmission. have you ever considered swapping in a manual transmission? if you had a manual, then you could use the clutch and burn out. One of my dad's friends has a 1985 f-250 diesel, and it has a manual transmission. once we took it when we went skiing, and there was this corolla going slow on the freeway, and it was where it was only one lane, so he downshifted and started tailgating this corolla and the people driving it got scared and pulled off to the side of the road to let us pass. Then on the way back, someone in one of those newer chevy suburbans cut him off while he was in the fast lane, so he started to tailgate them, and they got scared and started weaving in traffing like a rice rocket to get away from us. I will have to post pics of this goliath of a vehicle. right now it is a multitude of colors (the stock brown and tan, spray paint yellow, spray paint black, and bondo and primer) and it has a skyjacker lift on it with 31x12.5 tires on 16 inch rims. He wanted me to mount the Kumho tires in auto shop class, and when I mounted them, they were almost too big for the tire mounting machine and left black marks all over it, plus they wouldn't let me balance it on the balancing machine because they thought the tires were too big.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

the tercel can chirp in 4wd, when in EL and if your car is pointing around a corner (like when nudging out past a stop sign to turn left or right) and you rev it up and dump it.

i tried to chirp it when the car was pointing straight, and it was raining, but that made the car launch so hard everything flew off the dashboard :) no chirp either.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

BTS trannies will outlast a Manual, based on the personal experience of a friend of ours running a 14.5 sec one. http://www.brianstruckshop.com
31x12.5's on my dads. Whats the lift on your friends?

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
ghettomobile
Advanced Member

Post by ghettomobile »

I dont know the exact amount (inches) of lift, but I can take a picture and post it. At one point, I was going to buy it because he offered to sell it to me, and I asked someone at my work (i used to work at car rental place) about it, and he said that diesels are noisy and smeely and pollute, and not to buy it. I couldnt disagree more, because I love diesels for those very reasons, and if I didn't have to work withj him, then i would have told him to take his hatred of diesels and shove it. Diesels have always been my favorite type of engine, and anyone who disses them shall face my wrath! ;) My favorite type of gasoline engine would have to be the 22RE.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

We have a Turbocharged Direct Injection 4-cyl 1.9L VW TDI Passat Sedan. No issues with the engine not caused by our neglect, like a timing belt shearing apart.. God only knows how it survived that.. lol
02 Powerstroke Turbo Direct Injection V-8 7.3L Ford Excursion
99.5 (When intercoolers were first put in) Powerstroke Turbo Direct Injection V-8 7.3L Ford F-250

I'm trying to find the plausibility of putting a TDI (the VW engine) in a Terc.
I'm doing research into Diesel motorcycles
Am an advocate for the major car companies movement to diesels
Love my neighbors diesel Bobcat 853 Skidsteer
Am a MAJOR advocate for Soy-diesel (AKA Biodiesel or Green Diesel)
Believe strongly that diesels will replace gassers in majority sales.
Laugh at hybrid gassers who are famed for good mileage when a VW Golf TDI will get better mileage.
Cheer at VW for their research into Diesel-electric hybrids
Wonder if Toyota will further their developments into diesel-powered hydraulic systems (like found in skidsteers, among other things)
Am aspiring to work for a major diesel company, perhaps Cummins, International, or Toyota (to further their diesel productions)

Did you know that a large number of 7.3L Powerstroke diesels DID NOT come with catalytic converters due to their level of emissions efficiency? They just didn't need them! Thats the case with both of ours.
VW's diesel does not need one to pass emissions, but are installed nonetheless.

Governments move to low-sulpher petroleum-based diesels is a horrible move on their part, due to the inherant decrease in Lubricity (the ability of the fuel to lubricate parts) causing things like injection pumps to fall apart far sooner. Solution? Costly additives, or Biodiesel fuels, which have about 50% better lubricity than the diesel of pre-low sulpher laws. Biodiesel has far less emissions in all categories except NOx which is decreased slightly. Biodiesel burns cleaner, is renewable. and contributes to longer diesel life. Want to know the big advantage? Because it can be produced from a range of plants including Soybeans, Coconuts, and Sunflowers, it can be grown and produced here in our own country (wherever you happen to be) and because of that, keep our money where it belongs.. IN OUR OWN ECONOMY.

Ethanol is another great biofuel. It can be produced by using corn, among other things.

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I agree with the diesel rap....notice they are more popular in Europe where gas costs about 3Xs (?) what it does here?

Must be due to consumer perception...smelly...noisy...clouds of smoke?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

takza wrote: I agree with the diesel rap....notice they are more popular in Europe where gas costs about 3Xs (?) what it does here?

Must be due to consumer perception...smelly...noisy...clouds of smoke?
Last August in Finland, gasoline was about $5.25 a gallon and diesel was about $3.85 a gallon. I don't know why anybody there drives a gas car (I did see a few Chevy Caprices :o )

The diesels in Europe make very little noise, smell or smoke. And the VW TDI makes a lot more noise than the other diesels in Europe. :)
Juando
Advanced Member

Post by Juando »

The only thing I have to say is that Biodiesel is a good idea and I am glad that people are trying to figure out ways to make the Earth a better/cleaner place..but at the moment, from beginning to end of production you get the same if not more emissions from biodiesel as regular, old fashioned fossil fuel. Main reason is that you have the law of thermodynamics coming into play on this one.more energy is used to create the biodiesel than is created by the finished product for a net loss of energy by the time that it reaches your car.you take into account all the feul burned (probably fossil) by the tractors on the farms and the relatively large amount of farmland needed for the creation of the fuel and then the more energy intensive process to seperate the chemical parts of the plants needed (all of which have extreme heat/potential energy loss) When all is said and done, it would take between 1 and a half to 2 full tanks of traditional diesel to match the energy expended on one full tank of pure biodiesel (though no company uses pure for this reason). Again, I think that it is a great idea, the process of refining just needs to be improved..and they are sure as hell working on it. Great potential, but it's not the super hero cureall that some make it out to be at the moment. I know there are a lot of opinions on this as well, and I am only offering mine. Just know that physics is my bread and butter, and this is a perfect example of the law of conservation of energy/thermodynamics.
them: so you're telling me your tercel has 1.5 liters...where as my pepsi has two?

me: yes, can you seat 5 people in your pepsi...and does it have 4WD? oh...my bad
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Here is an analysis of hydrogen use:

"Efficiency of Fuel Cell and H2-ICE Vehicles

Summary

a) Energy losses from point of electrical power generation to the
point of hydrogen production in the U.S. transmission and distribution
system were 7.2% in 1995. Canada will be similar. Losses are divided
such that about 60% are from lines and 40% are from transformers (most of which are for distribution).

B) Energy losses from voltage reduction at transformers are 0% - 2%.

c) The energy utilization efficiency for producing hydrogen of a
specified purity by the electrolysis of water is 72%. i.e. a loss of 28%

d) The energy utilization efficiency for the compression of hydrogen
to a specified pressure for storage is 80 - 90% i.e. a loss of 10% - 20%

e) The high-pressure capability of the pressure vessel and the
thermodynamic properties of hydrogen result in virtually 0% boil-off
losses for insulated hydrogen pressure vessels.

f) The energy utilization efficiency to convert hydrogen to shaft work
by PEM fuel cells is 44% i.e. a loss of 56% based on:

· 3% losses for hydrogen transfer from storage tank: factor 0.97
· 50% for conversion to electricity in fuel cell: factor 0.50
· 10% parasitic losses for the hydrogen fuel cell system: factor 0.90

a) The energy utilization efficiency to convert hydrogen to shaft work
by hydrogen internal combustion engines is 52% at peak efficiency.

B) Aerodynamic losses at highway speeds = 10.9%

c) Rolling losses at highway speeds = 7.1%

d) The mechanical energy losses during vehicle operation is 5%.

e) Overall energy efficiency for PEM system from power station bus bar to wheel:

1*0.928*0.99*0.72*0.85*1.00*0.44*.891*.969*0.95 = 20.3%

Overall energy efficiency for H2-ICE system from power station bus bar to wheel:

1*0.928*0.99*0.72*0.85*1.00*0.52*.891*.969*0.95 = 24.0%

Assuming: · 45 mpg, which is the same as 45 miles per kg hydrogen or 72.5 km per kg hydrogen, or 72.5 km per 500 moles hydrogen;

· It takes theoretically 0.06587 kWh of electricity to produce one
mole hydrogen

Therefore theoretically, 0.06587 * 500 kWh theoretically moves the
vehicle 72.5 km or 0.454kWh per km.

Therefore, for PEM system at an efficiency of 20.3%, assuming an
equivalent of 45 mpg,

The power requirement from the bus bar is 2.24 kWh per km

Therefore for a H2-ICE system at an efficiency of 24.0%, assuming an
equivalent of 45 mpg,

The power requirement from the bus bar is 1.89 kWh per km

... and this does not take into consideration the efficiency of the
electricity generation.

Which is why this "H2 Economy" thing little more than pie-in-the-sky
promises. A small turbo diesel engine fueled with biodiesel [produced
with biodiesel of course] could likely do a lot better, and it's
off-the-shelf technology. We could solve our energy problems if the
goal was to solve the energy problems instead of just making money off hollow promises."

Do you know of an example of this kind of effciency breakdown for biodiesel?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

I thought we were talking about burn outs?

I hate the smell of diesel, it gives me flashbacks to my last army training when i had a shitty time.
The whole training ground stunk like diesel (we were using diesel trucks, diesel generators, etc etc) and its so messy, it soaks into your clothes and dosn't come out untill a good few washes with hot soapy water.

and diesels don't use cats, they employ other means of emisions controls, like adding amonia to the exhaust to cancel out emissions, not to mention diesels run super lean so that they don't put out black smoke, you have to more than double the fuel going into your engine before you start running too rich.