Yay or Nay

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
diggerdan
My tercel:: 1987 4x4 Tercel Wagon

Yay or Nay

Post by diggerdan »

I finally talked my co-worker into selling me her 1987 FWD Tercel Wagon with the 3 speed automatic trans. It's got 96,000 on the OD and has fresh timing belt, brakes and tires. It has a clean interior and nobody has ever smoked in it. There are just a couple very small dings but an otherwise good body. It belonged to her now deceased mom who never put it into 4WD. I had previously been offering her $4000 for it, at which she just laughed and laughed! So this month I sold my "08 Suzuki M109R motorcycle for $4500 and I offered her $4500. She's now considering my offer. What do y'all think?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Yay or Nay

Post by irowiki »

FWD or 4WD?

Low miles, good condition wagons have gone for over $4,500 several times, T4 or T2.

We have an 87 FWD Tercel wagon with only 65k miles and she is mint!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
BrownBadger
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD Tercel SR5 - The Brown Badger

Post by BrownBadger »

Even if it is 4wd i have a hard time seeing a DLX fetching more than $3000. A mint SR5 with low miles, sure, on eBay maybe. But even then, they can be had much cheaper if you take your time looking. The best deals happen off the internet.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

I'm with brownbadger to much for an auto :!:
My $4,500 would go towards a manual transmission at the very least preferably an SR5. You can get a very good one at that price.
My automatic car has 140k is in very nice shape and I paid $750 for it :oldgeek:

This one for example is a grand think of all the money you would have left over to make it "yours" new paint,nice wheels,perhaps a 4ac!
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11147

Or this SR5 right at your price point and less miles even comes with a part's car :oldgeek:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11186#p83249
drege
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Hadatercel

Post by drege »

Shit I'd sell you mine for 4500, then turn around and buy those two in reno and kick it with gottolovem and brown badger and we'd go drinkin for a few days!
Course, mine's 119 miles from 225xxx.
I got mine for an old Ipad 2 with an otterbox locked on verizon wireless - but the guy was asking 490$ for it cause it had trashed 3rd/4th gears.
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i'm leaning towards the same feeling as brownbadger and gottolovem. $4500 is at about the max end of what mint, low miles, 4wd manual trans tercs sell for, so considering this one is an auto trans (which seem to be far less popular) and might be a 2wd (even less popular), i personally wouldn't go anywhere near that high. it's all personal taste though. if that's the car you really want, and you and seller agree that's a fair price, then it is. market values are completely subjective.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Remember if one can't or won't drive a stick, an auto is more valuable than the manual!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have had two auto transmission Tercel4wd, and even in perfect condition with relatively low miles, no one would buy them for even $2000. One I got for free with some minor problems that the owner did not know how to fix, he tired for six months to sell it for $500, than $300, and than gave it to me. I drove it home, it was in great shape and I think only had about 119k miles on it. I fixed the issues with the carb, replace a number of minor parts, and than advertisted it, even emailed all of the people that inquired on the last T4wd I sold. Not a single inquiry, not a single person interested. By contrast, a similar condition manual trans T4wd would sell for $2500 in one day, full price for cash. I have sold some 8 or ten manual trans T4wd, all sold in one day for good prices. All were mechanically sound, none were "perfect" or restored, but good daily drivers.

$4500 is way too much for an auto trans tercel in my experiance, even if in show room new condition.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

I agree I think $4500 is too much. There are lots of cars for less for sale. But lets see some pics.