1984 Tercel 4WD - Portland, OR

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
crankin

1984 Tercel 4WD - Portland, OR

Post by crankin »

New to the forum, trying to find my first tercel.

Any thoughts on this one:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4916408124.html

Additional Info from owner:
"I don't have the receipts but I put a bran new cap and roter, fresh oil change filter, spark plugs, and some sort of valve on the head to release presser, it could use a new wheel baring on front left wheel but it still drives fine just makes a little bit of noise and other then that it's really clean inside and out and has a dent in both front fender as seen in the pics "

Thanks
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: 1984 Tercel 4WD - Portland, OR

Post by irowiki »

Ah that would be a PCV valve.

For that condition, the dents and needing a wheel bearing, definitely not $2,500, I'd put it more in the $1,750 range personally, but I do not know the area.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
BrownBadger
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD Tercel SR5 - The Brown Badger

Post by BrownBadger »

Love the color though. Same as my first T4WD.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

That car would sell for 2,000+ in my local market. Even with the dents it looks real solid
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

looks nice but i also think the price is a little high. maybe $2000.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

changing a front wheel bearing (if that is indeed the problem), is a big job. not too costly if you do it yourself, but check the threads on this topic to see if you want to do it yourself or not. Call a local repiar shop and ask for an estimate to replace wheel bearing and seals on this car.

Use that to lower the price: $2500 would be okay if the wheel bearings were good, but a bit high for a car that has a problem like that. And there may be other issues that he does not even know about: with a 30+ year old car, there is always something (or two or three) about to wear out. So likely that will not be the only thing it needs.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

It's a nice looking car. I would calculate the cost of doing the repairs that the owner thinks needs doing. Doesn't matter if you chose to fix it yourself. Look the rest of the car over, or have a mechanic check it for you. If there is anything else that is in need of repair, give the owner your list and estimated costs. Negotiate a reduction in selling price. Good luck.
crankin

Post by crankin »

Thanks for all the responses. I went and took a look at it. Offered $2000. Pretty good shape all in all.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

Did you get it?
crankin

Post by crankin »

So the seller and I agreed to the price last night around dinner...
2 hours later I get a text saying he can't sell it quite yet, but will keep me posted.

Slightly frustrating :/
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Welcome to the world of buying cars :lol:

We were an hour and a half into a 3 hour trip to go see a tercel wagon and the guy called us, said he decided not to wait and had sold the car.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

my wife and i were looking for a particular style of camper van a few years ago. found one on the mainland about 8 hrs away. the ferry is expensive so we talked at length with the guy, got lots of pics that looked great, he assured us it was mint. we got there, it's far from mint. rust all over the place (but in spots he didn't take pics of), some engine/trans leaks, and the temp gauge didn't work. the drive back home was over a highway notorious for killing vehicles so the temp gauge really scared me off. i told him, he messed around and tried to make it work, but at that point i had already made up my mind. funny thing was, when i said we were going to pass, he was all pissed off and acted like he had spent a weekend driving across the province, spending $300 on gas and ferry fares.

and that's why i don't like leaving the island for cars anymore.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

It happens, it really sucks. some will honor their commitment to strangers, many will not. I have seen it both ways, I have bought and sold a lot of cars, many times people will say they are coming over with cash to look at, I have other plans but rearrange them to wait. And guess what? they never show up, not even a call. Wasted a whole day, so now I tell them when they can see it, be there or I will sell it to someone else. If they are coming a long way I will honor that, but make arrangements to have them call me when they leave, and when they get close. If they do not call I tell them I will assume they are not coming. Likewise when buying I call them before I leave, and on the way when I am getting close.

So if I tell people I am coming I will make a commitment to be there and ask the seller to honor it, if my plans change I will call right away, and always apologize. I am the only one that does that in my experiance, but I think it is common courtesy, even if an obsolete form of behavior.

For some reason many feel that since car dealers are such notorious liars, that it is "normal" and okay to lie about a car they are selling, or even treat buyers shabby. I have found being open and honest with most people (plus I like to meet and talk to people a lot anyway), they will trust me and feel good about the purchase. Which is what I like, sales dos not have to be adversarial: both parties should be getting what they want, without deception or coercion.

One time I was selling a nice Honda CRV that I had cleaned up nicely, did a lot of necessary maintenance, fixed some problems got it mechanically perfect, advertized for a middling price, but fair ($5400). A guy talked all nice and friendly on the phone, wasted over an hour and a half looking and driving it than offered me $2500 (because of this, that and bla, bla, bla). I told him sorry, he did not know what he was talking about, I have other things to do, and returned back inside. I sold it several days later for $5400 to a single woman who was thrilled to get it, she had been looking for a good one for a long time.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

Don't be discouraged. You will find the perfect car and a seller who isn't so wishy washy. Good luck.
crankin

Post by crankin »

Well, on turn of events, tercel was driven to me at my house, title transferred and now I'm a proud owner!
I'll get a photo of it next to my 4Runner tomorrow for the happy set.