Craigslist special in NM

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Craigslist special in NM

Post by Petros »

I have registered cars without titles before. You may have to return the car to oregon to have it inspected to verify the vin, but also likely Oregon may accept an inspection from NM authorities.

Email the Oregon DMV, or check out procedures from their website. Most states have a process, I am sure Oregon does too, you might be able to do it from out of state, as well as in NM. Suppose someone from out of state stopped to get their car fixed in NM, and than abandon it, does that mean the shop has no recourse to get paid?

In WA I had to have the state patrol verify that it was not stolen (I requested a the record for the car, including last registered owner, all public records), send a registered letter to the last known address of the previous owner (from the DMV records), wait 30 days, than have the state patrol or sheriff inspect it to verify the vin number, and that it is safe to put on the road. And I get a provisional title that allows the owner 2 years to claim the car, after two years I get a clean title. With the provisional title you can treat it as your own, even sell it. Any money you spent on it you can charge the owner if they attempt to claim it (just like a car abandon in a repair shop, happens quite a lot). I have also bought cars from repair shops without titles for the cost of the repair (in another state), same procedure.

Likely Oregon would accept an inspection report or affidavit from NM authorities to issue you a replacement title.

There will be a few hoops, but it can be done. At worst you may have to drive it back to Oregon to have it inspected to get a replacement title. There should be a way to get a transport permit or temp registration in NM.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

There is a Lost Title Form on the Oregon DMV site

http://www.dmv.org/or-oregon/replacing-a-lost-title.php

But I wasn't able to find anything regarding how to find out if it's stolen, maybe a phone call with the make, model, year, and VIN?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

"All owners on the title must sign" would be a little tiny problem.

Peter: new Mexico is "special" when it comes to car stuff. To get a transport permit you'd need the title anyway!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Lazyokie
My tercel:: 85 Tercel SR5 wagon 4wd

Post by Lazyokie »

That's interesting, I thought any decent bill of sale would have the original sellers info. As long as he turns up the vin, everything can be sorted out.
And as far as it being stolen.... I doubt any capable thief would bother trying to sell a broke down and stolen car on CL. Normally they'd just abandon it in favor of a more profitable scenario.
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

This is an Oregon bill of sale; it includes a field for the contact info for the seller:
http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/501fill.pdf

This is the New Mexico (anal as all hell providing their crappy site links properly) bill of sale; they would like your life story:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/realFile34821a ... 1425061287

New mexico often won't even accept another states Bill of sale even if the sale originated in another state, they demand you go to their site and get a NM one and have the seller fill that in. We had an epicly bad time getting our first car registered her who was sold to us from california. They were picky about EVERY little thing, right down to the period after a middle initial in a signature.

Regardless, whichever one he claims to have, there should be information on it to get in contact.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Vienna wrote:. They were picky about EVERY little thing, right down to the period after a middle initial in a signature.
I guess our late and great president, Harry S Truman, would have had a tough time with the NM DMV...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
pordog65
My tercel:: 87 t2 87 t4

Post by pordog65 »

Oregon Dmv is one of the most lax place I've ever seen for getting titles...( exception ..Georgia)

If any one has a car from Oregon an is not living here
I can do the foot work in an hour an have a title on the way

This is a 100$ car with no title an broke down..an that guy is on crack or method anyway he'd take the hundo