Herbie: Fully Loaded

Post here about...well...anything!
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I went to see the new Herbie movie Herbie: Fully Loaded yesterday. It sort of lived to my expectations from the trailers and spyphotos that I saw. This new movie just doesn't have what the other movies had.

What I believe that was really missing was the engine sound that was very subtle on this movie; on The Love Bug and Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo you can feel the experience by hearing the roaring engine (Porsche 353 engine I believe). Herbie no longer pops a wheelie long enough like in the other movies (75 hp engine doesn't have what it takes???) and the fact that they didn't use a crane to pull it up in the air, instead they used lead weights and some other hydraulic contraption.

Another scene I found funny was the wannabe Fast and the Furious CGI of when they move through the turbo and engine. In this movie the animation shows the piston rings literally coming of the pistons (that's why its smokes) and a puff of black smoke comes out and the transmission gears moving around.

Side Note: In about a decade or so you might hear of a new Herbie movie, possibly going to be called Herbie: Comes Back! I don't know but I would like to be the writer of it as well as the director. I can keep on dreaming...
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

I'll wait until it's on TV for free. :)
clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

I'm thinking what this movie is missing is Dean Jones and Buddy Hackett. I'll wait and see it on HBO, I think I've seen all the others.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Buddy Hackett unfortunately won't be coming back on screen (he's passed away) and Dean Jones is a little too old now, but Don Knotts (he's even older)... There's a line from "Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo" I believe it goes like this: "Here you are driving the crown jewels or the bank England or who knows what... I've had it with the French, the men, the women,... Heeeerbie!" Don Knotts says it and I found the first part funny (excluding the part about the French people) because it has the Don Knotts flavor. He says it when Fortenua (spelling?) is driving the big armored truck that is carrying Herbie and Wheeley Applegate (Don Knotts) doesn't recognize it.

Good idea to wait until it comes out on cable or TV as those movie tickets will deprive you of an oil change for your Tercel but I just had to watch it. In fact, there were a few grown-ups (mostly elders) in there, without children, watching the movie. Hence, I felt at ease watching it with my little brother.

If my dream comes true I know what to do to fill the voids this one left, but overall it's ok.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Carguylen
Top Notch Member

Post by Carguylen »

We're probally going to go see it. We've alwayse liked the Herbie movies, and I have a son that's almost fourteen, so he has to see it cause Lindsay Lohan's in it!!!