long travel suspension ?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
jessy
My tercel:: 84 sr5 weber carb AKA the "weed wagon"

long travel suspension ?

Post by jessy »

hi guys, its bin a long time since i last posted hear

getting down to it i have been doing a bit of off roading in my t4(i would like in noted that i do not thrash on it) and loving every second of it. i have the rear t-bird/ pathfinder lift and cutting
boards up front, this set up works great but i was looking at petersons 4wheel and off road in the local winco check out line and wishing
that tercels had the same aftermarket support that jeeps have. (i think i hear heads noding) something i saw and looked up on their web page later
was how to mod your 80s ford bronco's front ttb in to a long travel setup. http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/suspe ... -that-ttb/

of course that got me thinking about how the front lift on my t4 gave lift but sadly no more travel .

what it comes down to is i think i have found a way to get the best of both worlds, lift AND travel, the t4 has 5 15/16 inches of travel up front but then i came across
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0035

would this work on a tercel,would it bolt up,fit the top mount, spring rate? was thinking of using the Corolla spring but triming it to give 1.5 inches of lift
not 2 1/8 that way the cv's will last :D

any and all info, rants and thoughts welcome :wink:
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Re: long travel suspension ?

Post by Mad_Marx »

I think there's more than one thread here on lift and travel, bu I'm still a n00b and can't quite figure out how to link those threads to this post. Regardless, I agree.... I wish I had a buck for every time I said "I can't think of any other Four Wheel Drive that will get 30 Miles per gallon".
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

what car is that for? If it is for the corolla than the lower end should fit in the Tercel steering knuckle, you may need to go from 8mm shaft bolts to the 10 mm (bore out the Tercel steering knuckle or use "hat" washers to reduce the dia of the holes in the strut), and the top mount should swap out no problem.

The Corolla and Celica GT-S strut from '88-92 is larger dia and has longer travel, same strut for the corolla all-trac. It can be adapted to fit. I have a set in my garage waiting to get mounted on my project tercel.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
jessy

Post by jessy »

thanks so much! so sorry that i was not clear about what the strut in the link i posted were for. when i copy/pasted the link it showed all the specs next to it, go figure.
they are for the rear for a 88-89 FWD corolla. something I was thinking about was what coil spring to use? any one know the spring rate of the corolla
front/rear springs? what is the rate of the t4 spring? would it better to use a spring similar to the rear pathfinder springs?

hears the link that shows the specs for the struts http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/searc ... ake=Toyota
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

there is a suspention thread on here where I catalog stock tercel spring rates, and some others like the Pathfinder rear springs.

I think the corolla front struct could be made to work, but I think it is the same dia piston as the Tercel. If you can find struts for either the '88+ Corrola All-trac or GT-S model (same struct assembly), it would be larger dia and have the longer travel than the Tercel strut. The springs out of that set up would be a good bet since both of those cars are heavier than the Tercel. You will need to swap out the top mount for the Tercel, and deal with the larger dia bolts in the low end.
jessy

Post by jessy »

thanks so much for all the info! i thinking of use the rear struts cuz they have about 2'' more travel then a tercel. the corolla front struts have the same
travel as the t4.
jessy

Post by jessy »

by the the way my dad told me that if i do this mod that i will haft to start a tercel 1000 rally like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... zqUo#t=143
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I am not sure the tercel frame would stand up to that!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
jessy

Post by jessy »

his was just joking, plus i don't think that the 3a-c will keep up with the ford raptors :lol:
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

there is a youtube video of a guy that took a $500 car and modified in his garage with his friends and entered it in the baja 1000. He has enter the same car 3 times, I think finished the race 2 times with it.

I always thought it would be fun to find a rust bucket Tercel (one not worth restoring) and turn it into a low buget racer using junk yard parts like that. Need to be able to able to weld up the modes to get more travel, perhaps a more powerful engine and trans out of a Toy truck perhaps. I wonder if we can get PicknPull to sponsor such an effort. Perhaps Synth and I can put together a low budget baja racer.
jessy

Post by jessy »

that would be cool, but my tercel is really nice (i am on the west coast so no rust) and i hive got fixed just about all the things that can be fixed done. i even charged up the a/c with some R12 i had and, man it blows cold!! 8)
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Wagon

Post by Tercel__jon »

I dont know if its worth the effort, but the 1rst gen MR2 rear lower control arms are 3mm longer then the tercel front control arms. Other then that, they are IDENTICAL. I know its not long travel worthy, but Its something I found today.

Oh, petros, i know what you're talking about. I think he entered it with a BMW. Somehow got sponsored and that was how he was able to prep it for baja.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

So does that mean the MR2 rear control arm works on the front of the tercel?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Yes, Irowiki,

the rear suspension on the first gen MR2 looks a lot like the front suspension on the Tercel. but the struts and springs are massive, the spring is variable rate and really stiff. The lower ball joint, the drag strut bushing looks the same as the bush in the end of the sway bar on the tercel. the hub is somewhat different (heavier) than the steering knuckle on the Tercel however. Even the MR2 rear disk brake rotor is the same as the front Tercel rotor (the caliper is different because the MR2 has a parking brake incorporated into the rear caliper). If I recall, it may even have more travel, it would be interesting to adapt the MR2 rear strut to the tercel front, however, it might over dampen it since most of the weight of the MR2 is no the back wheels.