Member Profiles

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
JOE
Advanced Member

Post by JOE »

Handle:
Joe

Location (City, State/Prov, Country):
Summerland, British Columbia, Canada

Tercel(s) owned and modifications done, pictures of Tercel(s) owned (with license plate blurred out):
1985 4wd 6speed
Factory Electric Sunroof
No A/C
441,000km with rebuilt cylinder head @ 372,000km

You name it and it's been fixed or replaced, all OEM parts though.
Except for the gas tank and windshield.

Mods:
14" Aluminum 3 spoke wheels
Pioneer Cd player
6 speakers
10" Sub with 200W Amp
Drilled Front Rotors
2" Exhaust
PIAA Headlight System incl. Fog Lights

To do list:
Bodywork.

Other cars currently owned:

1990 Honda Civic
1987 Subaru Chaser
1985 4wd 493000kms. Semi-retired since 1990 Corolla SR5 4wd purchase. 174000kms.
2manytoys4menow
Advanced Member

Post by 2manytoys4menow »

just thought I would pipe up here and let you all know who I'am . I'm located in Milwaukie , oregon . my wife and I own our home . I'm a carpenter by trade (union) . used to be a motorcycle tech when I was much younger (pushing 40) :o . I have at this time 2 tercel 4x4 (84-85 sr5)wagons,89 toyota mr2, 89 honda prelude si, 84 chevy crew cab w/built 454 (guzzle-guzzle), big 77 suburban on 42'' tsl swampers and a 2001 suzuki 1200 bandit that is NOT STOCK (many mods) I can't leave anything alone . I always have to change or tweak something :rolleyes: . this is a great site and I hope it stays around for awhile :) thank's , Bruce (also known as 2manytoys4menow)
CHEVY BUTCHER
simon84
Top Notch Member

Post by simon84 »

Handle:
simon84

Calgary/Banff, Alberta, Canada

Tercel(s) owned and modifications done, pictures of Tercel(s) owned (with license plate blurred out):

84 4wd manual, originally gold in color, repainted orange (bright tangerine)
275,000 km on replaced motor, who knows about the chassis(odometer was rolled back 2 owners ago). New shocks, struts, front springs, cv joints replaced twice, starter, alternator, most brake parts replaced, rear axle seal, installed a sunroof, and numerous interior modifications. 14" alloy rims (from dodge caravan) 205/70/14 tires.
oh yeah, and a 58 studebaker hood ornament.

1968 Plymouth Sport Fury
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

simon84 wrote: Handle:
simon84

Calgary/Banff, Alberta, Canada

84 4wd manual, originally gold in color, repainted orange (bright tangerine)
275,000 km on replaced motor, who knows about the chassis(odometer was rolled back 2 owners ago). New shocks, struts, front springs, cv joints replaced twice, starter, alternator, most brake parts replaced, rear axle seal, installed a sunroof, and numerous interior modifications. 14" alloy rims (from dodge caravan) 205/70/14 tires.
oh yeah, and a 58 studebaker hood ornament.

1968 Plymouth Sport Fury
Hey simon84, welcome to the forum. Good to have you here. It's great seeing more Canadians on here.

Cheers,

Nick
(Victoria BC)
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Tercel Marseille
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987

Post by Tercel Marseille »

Name : Julien (Tercel Marseille)

I've got a tercel 4wd from 1987.

I've put 175/64/14 tyres from fedima (good tyres with big cramps)
I've got a fuel catalyst (Manufacturer : Eurocat, model E3)

If you want to see picts of mine go to gallery / tercel 4wd Action shots
Mine is registered 2675 NA 13
The little movies (gallery / Tercel 4wd movie) are made by me and a friend

I'm very happy to be with you in this forum even if i can't understand all the things you say.
GO UP TERCELS !!!
jpkeels

Post by jpkeels »

Hello there,

I don't remember if I filled in a member profile before or not but here goes.

Name on Here:

jpkeels

Asheville, NC, USA

Vehicle owned:

1985 Tercel Wagon DLX 2wd

Modifications/Work:

Well right now there really aren't any modifications from stock although I do have a few things in mind. Recent work that was done includes a replaced axle half shaft and seal on the driver side, a replaced strut on the front driver side. Also, the AC compressor was replaced and worked for a while but all the refrigerant has leaked out and now it just blows warm air. I recently replaced the fuel filter as well as plugs, wires, distr cap and rotor. The last trip I took I got 32MPG! Seems pretty good to me.

Plans for future:

If the car stays mechanically sound I would like to get the body repainted though I am not sure what color yet. There is no rust on this car! It really is in pretty good shape. One novelty that I am considering in the future is to remove the roof rack and install a folding extendable sunroof. This would be nice in the summer. Mechanical soundness and maintenance is always the first priority though. Everything else takes a back seat to dependability and maintenance. :)

btw, this car is definitely my daily drive as I know many of these cars are for the rest of you. Still a few minor enhancements and modications would be nice. I also foundout that the last place that changed the oil left the oil plug a little bit loose and that is why I was loosing just a little oil. Well, since I changed the oil this time (myself!!!!!) the leak from the oil plug is gone. This car does not leak or use oil at all now that I can tell. I am using MaxLife 20W-50 oil in this car. If I didn't use the maxlife I think I would put in Castrol GTX oil.

One modification that I'd like is the weber carb conversion to replace the standard Aisan carb. If the engine ever dies I will simply buy a good used engine or even a reman engine. I found out that o'reilly's auto parts in my area can order a reman engine for about $1100 which is high next to a used engine with low mileage. Either way would be OK but I don't anticipate needing to do that!!!!! I have about 197,000 miles on this car. They really are amazing little cars to hold up so well for so long. :)
jpkeels

Post by jpkeels »

Please excuse my overly wordy post the other day for a profile. From now on I shall try to focus on keeping messages relatively short and sweet. Perhaps it takes too long to read otherwise.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

jpkeels wrote: Please excuse my overly wordy post the other day for a profile. From now on I shall try to focus on keeping messages relatively short and sweet. Perhaps it takes too long to read otherwise.
It's good info, don't worry about it! ;)
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Carguylen
Top Notch Member

Post by Carguylen »

Handel:

Carguylen

Frazier Park, Ca.

Tercel's owned:

1987 4wd, automatic, just got it. 130,000 original miles. Seems to run good, it sat for a couple years, and I bought it and just started driving it. Also have a 1985 2 door tercel. Thats my commuter and work car. It gets better mileage. It has almost 200,000 miles and won't quit.

Other cars owned:

A big mistake, a Dodge Caravan. Thought it would be a good family car, but the tranny went a month after we got it. Makes an excellent storage shed!
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Post by Ogedei »

Handle: Ogedei

Location (City, State/Prov, Country): Albuquerque, NM

Tercel(s) owned and modifications done, pictures of Tercel(s) owned (with license plate blurred out):1984 Toyota Tercel Wagon 4WD, 140k, no mods to date but expecting them shortly. I am all about power and gas mileage do not care about speed, come on I bought a car with an engine smaller than some motorcycles.

Nissan Pathfinder
Jeep Cherokee
Jeep Wrangler
<span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>1984 SR5 4WD gold 140k miles running superbly on new clutch</span></span></span>
Inkyturbo
Top Notch Member

Post by Inkyturbo »

Handle: Inkyturbo

San Bernardino, CA , USA

1983 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd, 326,000 miles and starts with a suggestion :D , no mods yet, pics to come

1988 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24(not running), 1989 Dodge Caravan SE Turbo(oil leak), both for sale

Comments:
Just got my Tercel today- no rust(except on the windshield wiper arms :) ) inclinometer. I am the second owner.
Josh G.

Joy is passing a brand new car at 80 in the fastlane, with your 22 year old Japanese economy car.

1983 Toyota Tercel Wagon (4WD, SR5)
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Handle: Typrus, CG, or Diosi (Depending on where you find me)

Tercel's owned: 1986 Tercel 4wd 6-Speed manual with a Pioneer Deck (Crashed into a hillside)
1984 Tercel 4wd 6-Speed manual with the Pioneer deck from the 86, Pioneer 4" fronts and Infinity 5.25" rears, The engine from the 86, side-gapped and indexed spark plugs.

The 84 Belonged to my sister who didn't put oil in it and consequently fried the engine. After my crash, I stole the working engine from my 86 and popped it into the 84. Since then I've been sniffing out a variety of problems.

I dream of fixing up the 86 and turning it into a speed-demon and turning the 84 into either an offroad monster or just a mileage-machine.

Neither car has any deep rust, but the 86 has some surface scars I wire-brushed off then clear-coated multiple times to try to arrest the rust. The 84 has a little surface rust on the underbody.

Other Cars owned: I'm 16, no experience yet.
Parents cars (that I get to drive while I wait for the Terc to be figured out)
1996 Volkwagen Passat TDI 4-cyl (Turbo Direct Injected Diesel) sedan. This just rolled over 175,000 miles and starts on the first crank. It has survived a sheared timing belt, a 2x6 in the highway, and 2 learning drivers. It consistantly gets between 40 and 50 miles per gallon, 40 being the lowest I've seen it... ever. It is very comfortable, but suffers from badly engineered door mechanisms and a cupholder that can only be described as moronical. It WILL go 130 miles per hour.
1999.5 Ford F-250 Powerstroke V-8 (Turbo Direct Injected Diesel) Supercab Long-bed. Lifted 4 inches and riding on 31 inch tires on 16 inch alloy rims. It has a thing called the Tymar Intake which is a 4 inch intake attached to a 6 inch diameter, 14 inch long filter. It has a Wicked Wheel turbo compressor to cut the surge that happens anyway (too much power). A BTS (Brians Truck Shop) transmission, a TS 4-position Chip, Fuel-Suplly fix mod, fuel pressure boost mod, 4 inch Bassani exhaust with no cat and a super-high-flow muffer. Ceramic-coated downpipe. This beasty MOVES. We call it both Big Red and "Leviathan 2". It has a 10" 500 watt subwoofer and an Infinity Kappa series speaker set driven by an Alpine deck. Forseeable mods= H2E turbo, Hypermax Intercooler, Mini-Me or F-Me injectors, 5 inch exhaust, and potential stereo additions.
2002 Ford Excursion Powerstroke V-8 (Turbo Direct Injected Diesel) Limited Ultra SUV. It has a K&N Filter in the stock housing. "Larry's Black Box 10k Mod" which brings fuel pressure up a further 12,000 PSI. It has a 4-inch downpipe-back STRAIGHT exhaust. No cat and no muffler. Occasionally have a Superchips Hi-Perf program installed. Everything else is stock. This thing is HUGE to begin with at 6 inches longer and 3 inches taller than a Sububan. Forseeable mods= Wicked Wheel Turbo compressor and an Aeroturbine 4040i muffler.
2001 Honda Rebel motorcycle. 2 cylinder single-carb 250cc cruiser-style. No mods. Black paint. Technically is my moms. I've put over 1000 miles on this on a single 1 mile stretch of road, as I don't have my full-fledged motorcycle liscence yet. It moves faster than my Tercel. Have no fuel economy average, but have gotten between 65 and 80 miles per gallon on my 1 miles stretch.
2002 Honda Magna motorcycle. 4 cylinder twin-carb V-style 750cc cruiser. Yes, carburated. Most motorcycles still are. No, its not Throttle Body. This thing HAULS!! Blue paint. Many lighting mods and a K&N filter. Mustang Seat. 50mpg average.
1996 Honda Magna motorcycle. 4 cylinder twin-carb V-style 750cc cruiser. This thing HAULS as well. Black background paint with a paint job of the sun gritting his teeth on the tank. Drilled out mufflers with the baffles completely removed. K&N filter. Mustang seat and tank bib. 50mpg average.
1981 Yamaha Virago motorcycle. 2 cylinder twin-carb V-style 750cc cruiser. Currently out of commision due to need for carb replace or rebuild. When running, louder than a Harley and fast to boot. Mega-phone style exhaust. K&N Filter. Unlike our other 3 bikes, this is shaft-driven. The others are chain.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
mailman
Advanced Member

Post by mailman »

Handle: Mailman

Location (City, State/Prov, Country): North Eastern Oregon

Tercel(s) owned and modifications done, pictures of Tercel(s) owned (with license plate blurred out): '84 SR5 recently purchased 508,000, '87 deluxe 168,000 original owner, bad tranny.

Other cars currently owned: 97 jeep ,01 venture
ctishman
Advanced Member

Post by ctishman »

<span style='color:blue'>Handle:</span>

ctishman

<span style='color:blue'>Location (City, State/Prov, Country):</span>

Eugene, Oregon, United States

<span style='color:blue'>Tercel(s) owned and modifications done, pictures of Tercel(s) owned (with license plate blurred out):</span>

1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon
Uh, new stereo. That's about it for mods. (do bumper stickers count?)

<span style='color:blue'>Other cars currently owned:</span>

None.
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

Handle:

dcn

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Tercel(s) owned and modifications done:

Blue 1987 SR-5 4WD Manual, factory stereo/speakers out, new stuff in.

pictures of Tercel(s) owned:

Velocity Red Metallic 2005 Mazda 3 Manual.

Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5