Mileage improvements

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

After fixing my front end, beginning to drive 90 km/h instead of 100 to 120, and having warmer weather, I'm enjoying 150 km more to every tank of gas. And that's before getting new (used but 95% tread) tires and going back to the 175/70R13's. The 195/60R14's got worse mileage (more width to create drag) and I saved a ton by finding used tires balanced and installed on compatible rims already. I would consider going back to the 14's with good new tires if they were going on a car with a decent body. For the frame I've got, the money would be better saved for the day I find the rust free Terc that's actually worth my time to restore and preserve.

My economy really went to crap after I fixed the automatic choke in the middle of the winter. When it was stuck open, it was hard to start and ran bad at first, but after I fixed it I also made an adjustment to the spring, which seems to have made it stay on too long in the winter. So the choke should be adjusted just far enough to make the engine start and avoid stalling for those crucial first few minutes. It's really not the choke the makes the engine start, that can be done by priming it with the accelerator pump. But if the choke is not on, it will fire up, run for a few seconds and then die, and you have to repeat the process.

If you have bad alignment and/or worn front end parts, these might be affecting your milage in a big way. My front end was completely shot, so of course the affect on mileage was large. It's worth checking out your front end and replacing any parts with play in them, if it's just a couple parts that are bad, the repairs might pay for themselves in gas savings

Most importantly, driving technique has to be the #1 influencing factor on mileage. It feels good to drive fast, but is it worth it? In longer trips where you can keep a steady speed, the time you save might justify the extra fuel consumption, but for short trips especially where the traffic makes you start and stop anyways, driving fast is a huge waste. If you drive 80mph on the highway, you will get bad mileage whether you have a good EGR valve, a bad EGR valve, or if you have the EGR valve disabled.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

If you don't mind me asking, how much did fixing up your front end cost you?
If improving mileage 3mpg is going to happen, then BRING IT ON!
Assuming it cost $300 US...
17mpg turns into 20 mpg.
10,000 miles uses:
588.24 gallons : 500 gallons

Assumption of $1.999/ gallon

$1175.89 $999.5

Difference of $176.39

So it'd take maybe 17,500 miles to regain your losses. My engine will last that long. Dunno about the carb though :rolleyes:
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I think around $250 for everything. That's Canadian, and I had to shop around even just to find all the parts. Swaybar end link bushings came from the dealer. Some stuff didn't really need to be changed, but I would much rather spend the dough and get over it, then do all the work and still be wondering what else might be screwing it up. It still pulls (now to the right) and I hope that's only the camber which is the one thing I haven't checked yet. Besides caster, but I hope it never comes to that. I don't know how to measure that, and to change it you have to add spacers on the end of the swaybar. If anything else screws up, I'll blame it on the struts.

Are you still stuck at 17 mpg? That sucks. I wish I could help you.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

my front end needs attention, the bushings for the front stabalizer bar are looser (replaced 3 years ago) i think the tie rod ends are gone, but i haven't checked, and the wheels are out of alignment from when i hit a curb in the snow 2 years ago :(

after i get the front end fixed up, i'm going to probably put my stock echo wheels on it, i have little faith in the walmart-brand 155/80 13's keeping my girlfriend and myself safe on the road.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.