Toyota Trucks

Post here about...well...anything!
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

you can buy a timing set from anyone for a 20r and cut some materrial off the front of the steel guides and it will fit behind the 22r timing cover.you only need the drivers side steel guide,it's the only one that breaks.i bought my set from DOA racing,also too expensive. engnbldr is the best.i have several friends that use them and i will next time.i also like to replace the chain tensioner with a factory toyota one.your chains aren't lasting very long.i usually get 140-150k out of my single row chains.you must be using shitty oil filters.get nippon filters.let me know if you need the link for them.you have to use a quality filter because the chain tensioner is oil pressure driven.the good toyota filters are discontinued in the US.i liked the nippon filters better than them anyway.i have tried them all and they make the chain the quietest.
there is only one jeep.and that is one too many!
T Pie

Post by T Pie »

That's good to know about the 20r chain. I'll give that a try next time. LC makes it sound as though they're having a special set made. Guess you can't blame them for trying to make a buck, but now they'll have to make it on someone else.
I try to run Wix filters. Sometimes the changes go a little long due to time (7 cars-no waiting). My tensioner was at the limit so it was getting good pressure. I put in a new pump with the first chain at purchase. Can't find the records, but it seems to have lasted about 110k. Got all the good out of it though. Broken teeth, broken guides and jumped time so bad it wouldn't drive onto the trailer. A little love and kindness and it runs better than anything with 300k should. As long as I need a little truck I'll stick with Toyota.
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

i heard wix filters had the anti drain back valve in them but i got a lot of chain noise at start up with them.i stick with the nippon filters.i refered a buddy of mine in tennessee when he bought a 94 pick up and he tried the nippon and said it quieted it right down.i was told the lexus V8 filters worked but i tried it and had a lot of noise as well.
grzydj

Post by grzydj »

My '92 with a 22RE and 30 inch tires gets 22 to 24 on the highway, maybe 20 around town. I've always been impressed with how decent of mileage it gets for a 4WD truck with a large topper.
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

i get that kind of mileage with my 4runner on 33"s but i'm running 4.88 gears.
clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

My wife had a 2wd 86 SR5 Xtra cab pickup with a 5 speed when I met her. I put probably 15 or 20k miles on it before she sold it, and it got a solid 33-35 mpg on the highway. I've got my driving technique down to where I can beat the EPA estimates on just about anything, but that was still great gas mileage.
ghettomobile
Advanced Member

Post by ghettomobile »

I have a 1986 Toyota 1 ton pickup with a 22re and a 4 speed manual transmission. It gets about 20 mpg, but that is probably because it has a 4 speed manual with no overdrive, an 8 inch rear axle with 3.90 gears in it, and it has a utility bed on it that makes it weigh about as much as a 4wd one, if not more. I have driven the normal cab short bed 2wd pickups with the 22re and a 5 speed, and they are definitely a lot lighter, get better mileage, and have an easier clutch and are easier to steer(even though niether truck has power steering.)