Hello all

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
drege
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Hadatercel

Hello all

Post by drege »

Just joined in preparation for a TTsr5 I'm soon to acquire, he says 3rd and 4th gears don't work but 1st, 2nd and 5th do, whats the first thoughts? Selector possibly got a broken/knuckle? I had an audi like that. I think bad selector knuckle cause he says the clutch was replaced, I can see a selector knuckle dragging and snapping a cotter pin from negligent reinstallation.
Or worse case scenario, the transmission is fubar, whats the exp level for a transverse fwd/4wd tranny swap in his/her driveway?
My audi was a inline 4cylinder front wheel drive (the gear selector stuck out the tail of the tranny, the half-shafts came out just behind the bellhousing.
Back on topic. its said to have 220,xxx miles, but the price is right.
Also what engines did these things have in the 87 year? 20/22r maybe?

Gonna go see it saturday, probably drive it home as it sounds more reliable than my blazer is right now.
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Hello all

Post by dlb »

welcome, drege. i love your signature!

all 4wd tercels came with the carb'd 3a engine. 1.5L and 62-hp of feeble, gutless non-power. emission control systems varied a little between some states and countries but they were mostly all the same.

i'm afraid i wouldn't have much hope of salvaging that transmission, although some dudes on this forum have a knack for rebuilding them. if you're not savvy that way, your best bet would be to replace it with a known good trans. there are a few write-ups on replacing the trans at home. it's a bit of a crappy job due to the size and weight of the trans but it can be done. look in the repair guides section for those write-ups, or use the search function.

important note: if you replace the trans, you must first confirm the gear ratio in your current trans and then get a trans of the matching ratio. 83-84 tercels used 3.73 ratio diffs, 85-88 used 4.11. that being said, it's possible someone previously replaced the trans and diff in your soon-to-be car with the 3.73 stuff, which is why i recommend you check. it has happened to others on this forum.
drege
Top Notch Member

Post by drege »

Hey great info! Much appreciated dlb.
Hoping I get this, I can hang wit the gutlessness - no different than my blazer, but the 4wd is intriguing to have in a car.
But you say a tranny swap can be a pain in the a$$?
I'll go check out that section, hopefully I don't need any weird tools like I did with the audi - 24 12 point torx holding the trans axles to the transmission.
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

tranny swaps are not that bad if you replace the tranny only and leave the differential (transaxle) in the car
there are "Repair Guide" section write ups on this
and you will not have to worry about the different gear ratios of the differentials
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
drege
Top Notch Member

Post by drege »

say whaaa?
dlb says otherwise though! I mean what does 4.11 and 3.7 mean in terms of rotational force differences between two opposing driveaxels? I know my blazer jumped and lurched when I tried my 4lo on pavement, it was ok driving straight, but as soon as I turned the wheel past 90° right or left, the diffrences between the right and left front wheel caused crazy slippage against the pavement and severe bogging down of the transfer case, now I understand it was because of the differences between the two front wheels rotations because of the caster.
I imagine thois could be the same with two ratios between front and rear dif's if one were to put a mismatched ratio transmission in . . . .

Either way, I looked up someones thread over there and saw some mighty interesting points regarding what it takes to pull the transmission.
I see now that these are not transverse drivetrains, this pleases me greatly, I fear transaxel work on fwd's.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

It means if you use a 3.7 front diff and a 4.1 rear diff and put the transmission into 4WD you'll trash it.

To test, put the car on jack stands. Put it in 1st, and 4WD. Mark the front and back tires. Rotate the front tire 10 times and count how many times the back tire turns. If it is the same, you're good! if it is not, then you have a mismatch.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

the Front transaxle/differential gear ratio has to match the REAR Differential gear ratio
they can be 3.73 or 4.1 gear ratios but they have to match

the transmission is a separate item from the Transaxle/differential
so the tranny can be swapped by itself
just unbolt it from the trannsaxle/differential and swap it out
that is why i say you do not have to worry about differential gear ratios cause you are not removing the differentials

the differences between the transmissions are minor so they can be swapped between the years without any problems
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

I have a 3.7 tranny complete you would need to swap the rear dif with it at the same time i have that to.
3.7 is not the preferred gear set up but there getting harder and harder good complete ones.
drege
Top Notch Member

Post by drege »

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH . . . . .SWEET! right, makes perfect sense - transmission has nothing to do with any potential differences between front and rear axels; I don't see paying the extra $75 for any transmission peripherals like transaxles or transfer case (fingers crossed they are good) I just need the gearbox (hopefully)
Also asked the guy if it has any check engine light on, he said "That year didn't come with that feature" so I'll be eagle eye for the check engine light coming on as it should with the ignition in ACC position as it most definitely should, if no then I'll have to replace the lamp and take care of any trouble codes.
Trading my unused 32 gig CDMA verizon iPad 3 for it, don't really use it; dish network gave me it when I was working for them last year.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

there is no check engine light on a second generation tercel. You are sure this is a wagon?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
drege
Top Notch Member

Post by drege »

Whoa . . .
Really?
No check engine light?!?!
Original CL post

"1987 TOYOTA TRACEL SR5 WAGON
vin JT2AL35W6H0272745 222,211 miles, white, timing belt, water pump and clutch. records back to original owner
it is a 4 wheel drive with stick shift.
gears 3&4 do not engage. just drove it back from paso robles using 1, 2 & 5. a/c heater fan does not work and r/r tail lite lense missing.
for restore or parts. call will text pictures.
$495 or B/O"

I'll find out tomorrow, hopefully I don't take the bus home with my ipad (I don't wanna pay the bill - lol!)
Guess I ought to pack some tools and some red lens tape, hate to get pulled over for a broken tail light.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

No check engine light. Those cars just have a primitive computer.

Fan is easy to replace. Tail lights are easy to come by.

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
drege
Top Notch Member

Post by drege »

This is all good news.
drege
Top Notch Member

Post by drege »

Also anyone have any idea what one of these transmissions weighs? seems like there is a lot of TTsr5's in the puget sound area, my sister is a mechanic and I'm thinking of having her grab a 5spd from the yard up there and having it shipped to me . . .
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

i have picked up quite a few
all i can say is they must be less than 100 lbs
i know a large bag of cement is around 100lbs
having picked up both i'm guessing the tranny is lighter