overheating...

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Carguylen
Top Notch Member

Post by Carguylen »

My car is getting hot. I just got it last week, and it's been sitting for a year or so, so I put some Prestone Super Flush in it, the fan is going on when it's supposed to, so I wanted to take the thermostat out. I know some cars don't run as good without them. I live in southren California, so it isn't going to be cold for a while.
Is there a problem running the car without a thermostat?

Thanks..
Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

No problem at all.
Just so long as you remember to put one back in before it gets cold.

Else it'll take absolutely ages to warm up when you first start it.

I had mine without a thermostat for a winter, as it failed in summer and I didn't have the cash to replace it.
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"
Carguylen
Top Notch Member

Post by Carguylen »

yeah, they can be expensive, especially when your struggling a little. I live in the mountians in California, so yeah, I'll put one in for sure before it snows again.
Thanks
Chris
Top Notch Member

Post by Chris »

According to the FSM "The thermostat on the 3A and 3A-C engines is equipped with a by-pass valve. Therefore, if the engine tends to overheat, removal of the thermostat coil adversely (a)ffects cooling efficiency."
Jerry
Advanced Member

Post by Jerry »

Ditto that - my Bentley warns of the same thing.

Have you looked at your radiator's condition? The '84 I purchased was missing about 1/3 of its fins, right in the area where the fan blows through... The joys of purchasing a car that spent its life on the coast...

Good luck,

Jerry
Jerry
Bakersfield, CA
Owner of a rusty '84 Terc SR5 4WD
251,000+ miles, original engine, second transmission.

Transmission soon to GRENADE!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Check for a significant number of flattened fins. Air doesn't flow through= fluid doesn't cool.

Is there an aluminum rad. that will fit?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Carguylen
Top Notch Member

Post by Carguylen »

I ran some Super Flush through it, put a new thermostat in, and put new coolant in. See what happens. I was wondering if the fan is only supposed to go on for 15-30 seconds max. Mine is doing this. I might need a new switch.
Thanks for the info
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Carguylen wrote: I ran some Super Flush through it, put a new thermostat in, and put new coolant in. See what happens. I was wondering if the fan is only supposed to go on for 15-30 seconds max. Mine is doing this. I might need a new switch.
Thanks for the info
Fan is supposed to go on until your engine is cool. ;) This might be your problem. The thermoswitch for the fan might be toast. If your engine was always hot, then the fan would always be on (normally).
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Carguylen
Top Notch Member

Post by Carguylen »

How bad is it for the fan motor to run all the time until I can get a new fan switch?
clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

Not bad at all, if you don't mind the risk of burning out your alternator. BTDT...