Heat Control Valve Question + One Pix

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

OK - I removed the carburetor to retorque the manifold bolts, per takza's recommendation. I can also now see the Heat Control Valve, which has been so elusive. HA - I'd like to know how its action is checked when warm, per the FSM! It did not mention about needing asbestos arms...
My question for anyone who knows how the valve should be configured - the FSM diagram shows the end of the spring hooked around the stud and the other hooked into the shaft. It does not show TWO hooks of the spring - is this like everyone else's?. Should one be loose, as in my photos, or should it be turned clockwise and hooked around the stud to dramatically increase tension on the weight? I'm apprehensive of this maneuver, as I don't want to break the spring. This will also result in the end now hooked on the stud moving to the left and being free also. The mystery is just that the FSM shows a simple two-ended spring, whereas mine has two hooks on one end and the other end hooked into the shaft.
Or - should I just make sure the shaft is as free as possible and forget about it?
Thanks to all.
Tom M.
<a href='http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/A ... e24fe0.bmp' target='_blank'>http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/A ... fe0.bmp</a>
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well, maybe I'll get this photo process right, yet...........
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain