Adjustable Intermittant Wiper Switch

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

My SR5 tercel has the single setting intermittant/low/high type wiper switch. The intermittant part has just stopped working, and I'm trying to repair it. I know some other folks on here have had the same problem.

I had a Cressida fully adjustable time delay intermittant wiper switch kicking around that I figured I'd try to install in place of the tercel unit. I've always wanted the fully adjustable delay type. It screwed in just fine, and most of the wire colors were the same and had the same function.

However, there are two things I can't get working on it. One, the intermittant feature, and two, the washer button.

My question to others who have messed with a Toyota adjustable delay wiper switch is: Do they require additional circuitry in the dash? I don't think I have all the parts I need to make this work right. The switch has some really small guage wires comming from it which I think might carry the varying resistance of the delay adjuster to a relay/delay board in the dash. The switch I have also has cruise control features on it, so I think some of the small guage wires are for the cruise too.

Are their some versions of the adjustable delay wiper switch that are fully integrated into the switch so I don't need to try to wire in a part in the dash? If so, what Toyota did they come in?

Thanks for any ideas or experience you have to share.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

The Cressida switch has an external control, that's why you wouldn't see a relay or much circuitry on the switch itself. I'ts located under the passenger side kick panel in the Cressida. There's a Supra manual somewhere on the internet and you can use it's schematic to figure out the pins on the control box and the few wires on the Cressida switch that are different.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

3A-C Power wrote: The Cressida switch has an external control, that's why you wouldn't see a relay or much circuitry on the switch itself. I'ts located under the passenger side kick panel in the Cressida. There's a Supra manual somewhere on the internet and you can use it's schematic to figure out the pins on the control box and the few wires on the Cressida switch that are different.
Thanks man! That helps clear things up.

I just sold my Cressida a couple days ago which is why I couldn't look at it to figure things out.

I think I'm too lazy to try to source and install the separate circuit - sounds like a fair amout of wiring work. Do you know which Toyotas came with a fully integrated adjustable delay wiper switch? (That I can fit in my tercel?)

For now I'll just try to repair my original one I guess...

Thanks!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Well, I just took apart the original wiper switch from my car and figured out the problem right away. There were cold solder joints around the relay (ie. the solder joints were cracked and had broken contact).

I'm going to keep my eye out for an adjustable one, but until then, at least I have regular intermittant operation.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

So all you had to do was resolder the contacts?

I'll have to check mine to see if that's the case.

And it works now?
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

brianp wrote: So all you had to do was resolder the contacts?

I'll have to check mine to see if that's the case.

And it works now?
Yup, fixed the problem! ;)
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
washfishman

Post by washfishman »

Did some of the Tercel SR5 Wagons have a adjustable delay wipers? I sure could use this option since we get light rain everyday in the winter.
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

Well, this afternoon I took apart the steering column, and resoldered the ugly looking contacts around the relay, and the int setting works now!! :D Yay!!

Thanks GTS, for looking into this, I wouldn't have thought that the solder could be the problem.

Just in time for summer! :rolleyes:
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

How hard would fully int be? I like how my moms Excursion has maybe 18 positions.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Wiring the Supra/Cressida switch is not hard. There's somewhere around 10 wires. You have to switch a few in the Tercel's switch connector and tap off some wires in the dash side of the connector that will go to the control box instead of the switch. It will take longer if you mount the switch properly and run a proper harness with heat shrink tubing and secure the harness along the way. I used loose wires and duct-taped the box to the heater duct, where it still is.

Wiring the washer pump circuit to the control box is optional. If you do, the wipers will come on when you press the washer button and stay on as long as you hold it plus 2-3 swipes after. This is how newer cars with more features work that do more and better things, but is it what you really want? If not, you can leave the washer circuit the way it is.

The Tercel did come with variable intermittent, but it is rare. My 85 had one, and I should have kept the switch. The AE82 series Corolla from 84-87 had it as well. I might have a switch kicking around. These switches lack the mist function which is where you pull the switch towards you and it turns the wipers on as long as you hold the switch there. All switches except the top of the line Cressida and Supra ones have either intermittent or mist, not both.