Weber

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
KZ750
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel sr5 4wd

Weber

Post by KZ750 »

I am seriously considering swapping over to a Weber carburetor .
But here is my concern, which I still haven't been able to find an answer too.
Nevada has a standard emissions testing guide.
Here is a PDF for Nevada's Emissions testing. (see VISUAL INSPECTIONS)
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... tK-WC4SNug

Is It possible to use the EGR setup with the weber, and if so..is there a point in even swapping? I've read that there are kits available to do so. Has any forum member kept the EGR system?

What about carb Icing? Can You still use the black warming plate with this carb?
GotToyota?
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel Wagon DLX

Re: Weber

Post by GotToyota? »

As far as emissions go, I've heard of people still passing with all the emissions stuff ripped out, as long as you have a cat. You can retain your EGR setup if you like.

Concerning icing, you actually have to use the warming plate with it unless you shorten the studs coming off the manifold.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

I am pretty sure someone did that but I can't remember who.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

The answer in Nevada is no (UNLESS YOU KNOW SOMEONE THAT WILL OVERLOOK THE VISUAL)
I have a good friend that does all my exhaust systems and emissions testing and i asked him just last week he said he would loose his licence from the state if he lied on the visual test and got caught! The webber can however pass the sniff test.

Loren
If you know someone in carson or fernley you can register the car there carson and churchill county don't require smogs.
OR you can put classic plates on the car "classic" cars in washoe county don't need to smog however you can only drive them twenty five hundred miles per year. And the way around that is to unplug your spedo cable before you get to 2500 or get another cluster all together so you can swap it out when the dmv wants to look at the odometer each year!

Perhaps you already know all this BUT DON'T TELL BIG BROTHER hahaha
Last edited by Gottolovem on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

it is very easy to run an EGR with a weber, and any negative effects of doing so are debatable. to run it with a weber you basically leave it exactly as it is in the stock set up, and hook the hose up from the EGR valve to the EGR port of the weber. ex-forum member deejay wrote a thread on this a while back, here it is.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9409

the only issue i think you may run into is that you will need to retain the phenolic spacer between the manifold and the carb since it is needed for the PCV system, and some people have run into hood clearance issues with this. it seems like those with new engine mounts have had the most trouble in this area.

however, i didn't read about your states smog testing. like GT mentioned above, each state (and county even?) tests different things so you will have to look into that further. i believe the EGR only reduces Nox.

if nevada is as dry as i imagine it is (i've only been to the desert portions of it), you may not have to deal with icing. i had it happen lots here on the west coast but humidity is much higher. tom is in st. louis and has never had any issues with icing.
GotToyota?
Top Notch Member

Post by GotToyota? »

See, that's where I'm confused. My Weber doesn't have an EGR port...

The only ports my Weber has are the fuel inlet up front and the advanced vacuum on the left side (when looking at it from the front).
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

yeah, that's really weird, GT. i haven't heard of anyone encountering that before. then again, i don't know how many people have actually looked for the EGR port on the weber, so maybe it's not uncommon? most people go for the weber to get rid of emissions stuff and simplify things so i doubt many have looked for the EGR port. mine had it, anyway.
GotToyota?
Top Notch Member

Post by GotToyota? »

dlb wrote:yeah, that's really weird, GT. i haven't heard of anyone encountering that before. then again, i don't know how many people have actually looked for the EGR port on the weber, so maybe it's not uncommon? i don't know. mine had the EGR port.
It wasn't really an issue for me, I deleted my EGR and have an adapter going from that port to the PCV on the valve cover.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

check to see if older cars need to be tested and inspected in your state. In my state, and many others, they exempt cars older than 25 years from testing of any type, this assumes there are not that many of them, and it will be difficult to keep all of the emissions equipment working if the manufacturers no longer make spare parts for the cars. Since most states are not willing to force people to send their older cars to the crusher, they just exempt them. the Feds do not allow tampering with federal required emissions components, but as a practical matter if the state does not enforce it, there will be no means by which the requirement is enforced.

California is the one exception, they require all cars, no matter the age, to have all of the equipment present and functioning. This presumes that this will eventually get all older "dirty" exhaust cars off the road. It is also the obligation of the seller to have the car pass emissions, making many perfectly good older cars only fit for the crusher. I have picked up a few cars from Calif to sell here, saved them from the crusher! since they are exempt here, there is no test they have to pass.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

If your DGEV has the EGR port capped (the one to the rear of the vacuum advance tube), just remove it (carefully with a sharp awl) and insert a brass tube.
See http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/data/4 ... labled.gif
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
KZ750
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel sr5 4wd

Post by KZ750 »

Hey dlb- I found that article right before I had to clock in at work. I think it cover just the info I was looking for! thanks man!
For now on I'm going to use google to search the forum instead of the forum search tool. Good point about the icing. It may not actually be a problem here.
Gottolovem- Did you ask your bud about the legality of the carb set up with the egr, or just the carb? I'm having a hard time believing that it would actually be illegal to instal an after market carb. I'll give the DMV a ring probably when I wake up.

Just to get this out there,
I want to only do this legally, I don't want to have to get "lucky" each year when it's time to smog.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

I have to get a smog on another car today
and i will get specifics STAY TUNED
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

So my guy here in Reno said it's a gray area that most smog stations will fail because they don't want to get in trouble!
However if the egr is in fact hocked up and working properly WITHOUT LOOKING MICKY MOUSE he would pass the visual inspection.
He also said that he has never seen a webber he liked "clearly a webber hater"

Keep in mind that the "sniff" test here in Reno is the same as California very tight but we don't do all the extra miscellaneous tests that they do.