Opinions please

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Opinions please

Post by Gottolovem »

So here are some photos of the car I went to get in the bay area with the extra crate engine. The car has 110000 miles so the parts are all in great shape
I thought i had it sold but the buyer decided to focus on another vehicle right now.
I'm undecided on if i should part it out or keep it in one piece and resell it cheep with tune up and new head gasket.(cheep)
Lets name this car rusty it is still solid however the rust on the panels is deep floor pans are ok but the rust has set in everywhere
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Opinions please

Post by ARCHINSTL »

WOW - that is what happens to cars in the salt air and with even no salt on the streets? I honestly had no idea...
What does the underside look like - as bad as I might imagine?
What a beautiful interior, though.
Parts car gets my vote.
What is that stalk underneath the turn signal stalk?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Cruise control!

Tom, it had been repainted, and apparently they did a bad job with the prep work, so that didn't help.

I vote you replace the hood, patch up the body rust, and keep her going if the underside is okay.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

The stalk is cruse control
And the underside is not great but still solid i think most of the salty "fog" settled on the top and sides
walkersimpson
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5, 1984 toyota tercel FWD, 1987 toyota tercel SR5 (shata1)

Post by walkersimpson »

Nice grab I was trying to get this one did you also get the rebuilt 3a with it. I wanted to get this car as more of a beater for myself and lift it and use it for hitting the trails but seems like you grabbed it first glad you got it though thought some random person grab it before I could. I would clean her up and keep her going if the risky parts aren't to rusty hope it goes well and will be keeping my eye out for another one. I love in the north bay and they are hard to come by in this area so if you see any more over here you should let me know I really want another t4wd to have as a backup/beater for hit in the trails mine is very clean and I don't want to bang it up to much and thought this one would be perfect hope you enjoy and if you think about reselling it I will definitely be interested
walkersimpson
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

man, the front of that hood! crazy. i've heard of lots of cars in hawaii getting eaten like this but never here on the west coast. that cruise control stalk looks weird, like a 6th finger or something. just not right.

the interior looks fantastic though. i think it would be good as a beater or off road vehicle, or parts. i don't think it's worth trying to repair and paint.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

Hahaha
Not only does it look wrong but it moves in a very strange way you can move it up down froward backward and it will stay in whatever spot you leave it in.
Reminds me of battery operated bedroom toys :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Does anyone have cruse control on there car and does there STALK behave in a similar fashion???
CAN YOU SAY WEIRD
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

We saw an 83 with cruise (after market I think) when we were shopping around, I'm pretty sure three was no wiggle in the stalk but I didn't really play with it much.

Once we fix up our 2wd we have an after market kit to cruise control her, I don't think I'd ever remember to use it though, after being used to the old cars without it.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Screw that, if we can get the aftermarket cruise working I'll be using it all the time!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

none of that rust looks critical, nor serious and all easy to fix. replace the hood, and chemically remove the surface rust, or sand blast it, than use rustolium primer, and repaint. Should clean up nice. Worth saving.

OTOH, it would be a perfect candidate for making into a swap whamper/rock crawler since cutting out the fenders to make room for big tires would not be such a shame. or how about an international ralley car for one of the low budget ralleys they hold for beater cars in Africa or south America. If I can get sponsorship I might build one of those next year, so I am kind of on the look out for good candidate. they auction off the cars at the end of the race, so you end up leaving it behind.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

Petros

If you can get sponsorship for a race like that I will Keep it in one piece and perhaps donate it to the cause but the interior stays in the states!
You would need a spotter for a race like that RIGHT :?:
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

yes, a crew/navigator comes in helpful. My 24 year old daughter was thinking she would want to go, but she seems to be loosing interst in it each year.

check it out: http://www.budapestbamako.org/en

Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

That sounds like a great adventurer for a father and daughter
If you are able to arrange everything and she drops out keep me in mind I would be totally into such an adventurer i bet it's not cheep though.
If all the pieces of the puzzle fall into place the and you are serious let me know so I don't unload the donor car to somewhere else !
The shit box rally in Australia seems like a more friendly country I doubt you would need to bribe anyone either.
http://www.shitboxrally.com.au/you-re-doing-what
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

yes, there are several run in south America as well (will have to brush up on Spanish!). Most of the rally are run by professional teams with very high priced cars. I like the low budgets ones like the shitbox rally, more of a challenge, and much less time, effort and costs involved. I figure I can buy, rebuild, ship and run a Tercel4wd in the Bamako rally for about $25,000. I have worked for fully sponsored racing teams, this is a real bargain compared to the typically one to two million dollar sponsored race cars. It would give the sponsors a lot of exposure for very little investment, I know how to get sponsorship, so it is a real possibility. I just need to be able to commit several months of time for it, that is actually the most costly part for me.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

http://www.shitboxrally.com.au/modules/ ... a4fa_o.jpg

Found a 4WD from the shitbox rally gallery.