engine swap 3AC to 3A wont idle just wanna...

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: engine swap 3AC to 3A wont idle just wanna...

Post by marlinh »

Was that including the glass?
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Yes 130 he came to my house did the entire job with new windshield and removal of the old broken one.
He was very professional
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

That is an extremely good deal!
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

I shopped around for a while the and the window shop at pick&pull was the closest price @ 147.00
The guy from craigslist said he could beat any competitor's price because he had no overhead working out of the back of his van.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Post by gnarnold »

had mine done by a guy for 140,i took out the old one to "re model' the missing chunk of dash board that has silently been rusting for id say about 30 years .bought the radiator trouble shot that for a few days turned out it had a pinhole or something made it leak from the inside. exchanged it for a new installed that works fine but I couldn't keep the temp down .took out thermostat runs like a dream so far idle situation still cycles at first until it gets a little warm. then it whine every now and then rom the water pump area but still temps stay good and rpms sound even and strong.
just wanna say thank you to all that helped me out in my pinch . this site really helped me out a lot, I my journey . really , thank you.
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

You need to put a thermostat back in, engine won't run properly without it!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

sounds like the belt is a little loose, so it whines. put in a new t-stat, they should be replaced every 2-3 years. buy a good quality one ($15-18 typically, not the $4.99 for junk), the cheap imported ones made by slave labor in Communist dictatorship country are often junk right out of the box.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

well I think I need a new water pump geese I cant get a break from her shes taken over my life and my wallet .oh and a coolant expansion tank if any of you know anywhere to get one .preferably one that isn't like mine its like a dry cookie it crumbled so I chipped away at all the brittle crap and fiberglass resin the hole with one ply fabric .hope it works until I get a replacement .
the coolant gets pushed into the expansion tank like it should ,but since there is no seal it doesn't get drawn back into the radiator upon cooling .any advice on this dilemma
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

what makes you think you need a water pump? if you do, the water pump replacement is very easy on this car. You can buy a new (not remanufactured) water pump for about $45 from NAPA or Autozone, and replace it in about 30 min with just a few tools.

If you have a shop do it, do not let them BS you into saying it is 2 hour $300 job. I have done it in 30 min complete, including replacing the coolant, using a few hand tools out in the driveway.

the coolant is sucked back into the radiator when it cools, the air and coolant in the tank shrinks slightly and sucks the coolant back in by itself, no pressure in the coolant recovery tank. If it does not look for leaks in the hose from the rad to the tank, in the plastic straw in the cap of the recovery tank, and the check valve in the cap is working (replace the cap if suspect).

If you are having overheating problems, it is not because of the water pump. A bad cap will cause temp issues, so replace that first. diagnose the problem BEFORE you try and fix it!
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

ok well its been a while (thought id give more time to let an arsenal of "events" accumulate).
so, I went for the 15 dollar t-stat..........same issue except this time the engine got hot and the rad stayed cold. both hoses cold .waited for ani freeze to cool off a bit went to go take out t -stat and as I was about 3 cups of semi -boiling...... ok well it wasn't luke warm either. coolant came pouring out . seems they don't sell any t-stats in orange county that work in my car . what gives?went to junk yard and got a replacement overfill tank and a stock Toyota stereo from a 98 celica. lets just say that things didn't go so well with that. returned to junk yard and got a new stereo out of a 95 corolla I think .this one has a cd changer .fingers crossed taking it to my cousins for installation .

\
ALSO: tried three different t-stats from three different stores its gotta be me .so what could I be doing wrong it only goes in one way.
AND; the water pump was done I replaced it and I couldn't get the wheel to spin it was so badly frozen up . went ahead and replaced the alt too .the only things left in this cycle of tercel is the t-stat and the cigarette lighter I cant figure out getting the old one out I already bent something its in the .and the stereo problem of me getting junk stereos from a junkyard that fry themselves. what a world
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

Put the t stat in a sauce pan with boiling water or use a hair dryer to confirm that it works!
I still think yiu need a NEW radiator.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

you have not indicated that you replaced the radiator cap, these items were out and their function is critical to the operation of the cooling system and should be replaced just like replacing spark plugs and thermostats.

is the engine actually boiling over, or is the temp just running hot on the gauge? You might find a replacement temp sender and try it, they usually are reliable, but they do not cost much and could be giving you a false high temp.
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 SR5 Wagon

Post by 4doorVIP »

hey man have you tried 'burping' the coolant?
park the car on a hill, with the front end being the high point.
remove your rad cap (make sure coolant is not hot! do this while motor cold)

grab the lower radiator hose, give it a nice squeeze/wiggle multiple times until 'burping' or bubbles dissipate.. maybe do the same to upper rad hose...will prob have to add coolant after....is there is any air in the system it will cause temp to rise higher than it should
2JZGTE-powered Tercel SR5
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Replaced cap when i got the thenew rad ,been using 180 degree t stats do i need a 160 degree

Also what temp range spark plug would you recomend i live in southern calif.near the beach if that matters 3 a engine in a CA 3AC CAR

Oh and yeah i burped the little tyke.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

180 t-stat is standard, no reason to change it. If it is working properly than that is not the problem. Use the recommended spark plug, I prefer NGK. they last a long time and hold up well, never saw a reason to change from the standard heat range even with a highly modified 3ac.

It is possible, though this is the last thing I would check, that something is blocking flow through the water pump housing, hose or fitting. First make sure everything else check out first before you pull it apart looking for something that is not there.

do you think you might have a bad head gasket? are you losing coolant? white "smoke" (steam) out the exhaust?