engine swap 3AC to 3A wont idle just wanna...

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Re: engine swap 3AC to 3A wont idle just wanna...

Post by gnarnold »

Also cant veiw FSM INCOMPATIBLE FILE WITH MY PHONE. Need directions on how to test the radiator relay. The round one in engine compartment
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

if you unplug the fan thermo switch at the bottom of the radiator the fan should come on full time. If that does not happen than try removing the relay from the box and put a jumper wire across the contacts, if the fan comes on it is the relay switch. If it does not you will have to trace the wires for damage or corrosion at a contacts.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

With or without key turned on because with key turned on it comes on and stays on. also i took a test drive with switch unplugged the temp got right before the upper white line with fan could my rad be clogged from something that. Was in the swapped out engine or what cpuld cause the temp to rise wotj all mew sensors and t stat
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Gottolovem wrote:A new radiator auto zone is 100 bucks.
Almost all of the fixer uppers i buy and sell have needed one.
They get clogged up if you use tap water most people are don't realize this always use distilled water.
In my experience a new radiator makes an enormous difference keeping engine temperature down.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

The cooling system is fairly simple, the only things that will cause it over heat is limited radiator capacity because of build up, bad thermostat, or the cooling system will not develop enough pressure to keep the coolant from boiling. This will happen if the radiator cap is bad, or you have some other leak, or the head gasket is leaking.

If you have limited cooling capacity because of partially blocked radiator it will have the temp rise when climbing a hill or other prolonged high demand, and than cool off on down hill run. Also, when the temp climbs, if turning on the heater fan (with selector on full heat, outside air) brings it right back down, it is also an indication of limited cooling capacity.

If the car always runs hot be it low speed or high acceleration, up hill or down hill, it could be a bad radiator cap not allow the system to pressurize. Unpressurized cooling system allows the coolant to boil away at the hot parts of the engine, the water vapor does not cool the engine nearly as good as liquid coolant.

If the radiator is good, the cap and thermostat is good, you could have a leaky head gasket (if it was allowed to over heat the head gasket is likely compromised). It still might run okay, but the cooling system will not develop pressure and you will be consuming coolant (it will come out the exhaust as water vapor or steam). check your spark plugs (usually number 1 or 2, or both fail first), if they look wet, smell like antifreeze, and new head gasket is in your future. Make sure you use the procedure I outline in the Repair guilds section.

good luck.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

well that's very interesting because it used to blow a little white smoke and liquid used to come out of the tail pipe . then I figured out the carb and it went away. by the sounds of it sounds like cap and radiator .add that to the list along with a new wind sheild . aparentlly my old neighbors didn't like my midnight repair sessions and now there is a nice spider web right smack dead center in the windshield about 12 inches in diameter
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

That sucks what makes you think its your neighbor and not random.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Ive lived there for 5 years never had a prob with the car or neighbors until HE moved when i get back to my pc i will explain
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

guys just a jerk ,but have been driving it only problem is overheating when at stop lights I just shut it off when I get to a light and green light I start it and go
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Did you test your cooling fan?

Unplug the connector at the bottom of the radiator while the engine is idling and the fan should kick on.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

I agree with dlb if the fan still runs try to drive the car a couple days with the fan running continuously.
If it still overheats at stop lights i would change the radiator.
I once had a car with aftermarket fan wired backwards (The fan spun the wrong way) if your wires have been messed with you could check that too.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

it is overheats with the car moving above about 20 mph, it is not the fan. natural airflow is more than enough to keep it cool.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

ok guys performed the radiator test and it does come on when unplugged ,checked all fuses with a meter , all were good. I have been driving with the fan unplugged .weather has been warm in the day and cold at night it never goes beyond the picture 0f thermometer some one told me that the cap could be the wrong pressure but I asked the guys at the auto store and they said they don't come like that anymore they are all universal . also getting into the car after grabbing a beer at the store the batt was dead well I paid some kid in a statue of liberty costume 5$ to push me (I had a load my stuff) and was very low on water in the batt . filled it to marks charged for 8 hours good as new.know anyone that will install a new wind shield or where I can pick one up at/thanksguys.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

in california, at some of the Picknpull yards they sometimes have a tent set up with people that install windshields real cheap. for the Tercel they would have to order one ahead, so you have to make an appointment.

Once when driving up from Los Angles I stopped at 4 picknpulls in central valley, and noticed the windshield installer. I asked for a price and it was half of what I could have done it locally in the Puget sound area. I would have done it right there but it was going to take them a day to get the windshield. I had a few more wrecking yards to visit and than get home the next day so I could not do it, but I was surprised at the price.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

I had a new windshield installed for 130 from a mobile installer on craigslist. You might try that