fog lights

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
hikersteve
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 84 sr5 manual

fog lights

Post by hikersteve »

so i think im ready to do my first mod.
i am going to swap the blinkers to the side orange marker lights, and put fog lights in the space where the original turn indicator lights.

heres the plan:
re-route wires from turn signal lights to marker lights, hardwire in universal sockets for double filament bulb 1157?, retro fit into marker light casing.

run new wire from second switch (rear defrost) added into knockout below original switch to bumper (turn signal location)

does anyone forsee any problem with this?

i had read on other post that they get broken easily in that location, but i plan on buying ones with grils and durable, replacable lenses.

besides that it seams pretty cut and dry.

any input?

thanks steve
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: fog lights

Post by Petros »

there are several threads on this topic, it has been done. this thread has a wire diagram to make the side marker lights still work as running lights and as a signal light:

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... ght#p67036
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

While perhaps irrelevant - I intend on doing this "some day" as well (even have the extra switch).
However, check with your DMV or cop house. I did this with MO's, and it turns out, at least in this state, you have to have a light facing directly (and completely) forward, so the corner markers only would not be enough.
Then it should be an easy task to include the "parking lights" that are next to the headlamps into the directional circuit.

Are you planning to insert the new fogs/driving lights into the original directional bumper slots? If you find ones that fit perfectly, please post them and sourcing.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
hikersteve
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 84 sr5 manual

Post by hikersteve »

hey petros that a great thread, but am i to assume then that marker bulbs can handle being hooked up to flasher relay? i thought they wouldn't.

tom m, i live in california so i'm sure its probably illegal, but i live in a rural area and think it would be hard for a cop in front of me to notice. but good call.
i will let you know on any info i get on a good size/shape match. as i am planning on using existing holes and not retrofitting anything
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

most of the mods in this forum likely violate some federal or state regulation, on a car this old few authorities would car, and even fewer would even know what the OEM installation was anyway.

I am told my brake up grade is in violation of fedarl DOT regulations, even though it uses all factory parts and it improves the stopping power and safety of the car. I say so what? what federal authority is going to inspect my 30 year old Tercel to find out?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

What Petros writes is quite true about the attention of feds in either country scrutinizing 30-year old cars with a fine-tooth comb.
Heck, even though MO no longer requires my car to pass emissions, it still requires it to be so equipped, and Goldie sure as heck does not (Well, maybe she would, even with the Weber, but all of the emissions stuff has been removed...). Even the big back-up light I installed under the bumper violates some rule.

My comment was just in case some safety inspection minor rule was violated, or a knowing LEO was looking for an excuse to write a ticket. Better safe than to court a ticket - which may be a moving violation in some states, which is then reportable to an insurance company, and we all know how that will work out...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain