T4 rear bearing diagnosis

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: T4 rear bearing diagnosis

Post by teranfirbt »

I would consider any play in the wheel bearing to be a cause to replace it. I replaced the rear bearings in mine recently, the right side was completely toast. The left side felt fine, but when I pulled the axle out I found more bearing grease in the axle housing than in the bearing.
TominMO
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

Post by TominMO »

Yesterday I went to Lowe's and bought a roll of foam rubber to put under carpets (6'x9', $30). Used it to fill the cavities under the rear seat, and in the areas behind the rear wheelwells. I also put a layer under the carpeting in the trunk area. Today I took it out for a drive, and it is definitely quieter; none of that drumming I had before. I can now hear the rear end much better, without the body-cavity drumming to confuse the issue. I need to do the rear-seat passenger test to confirm, but it seems like the pass. side axle making the noise. But now I am less worried about it since it is so much quieter! This car will probably only ever see city streets this winter, so I am not too worried about replacing the bearings anytime soon. Next spring seems like soon enough.

I had plenty of carpet foam left over, so I used it in my Ford Aspire too. Also a big improvement.
1986 4WD Tercel, formerly gold, now camo
1995 Ford Aspire SE, MPG development car, shooting for 65 MPG hwy
1990 Ford Festiva, mild motor swap, HP development car
The other Tom M. in STL w/a gold 1986 SR5--from the universe where Spock has a goatee
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

An interesting observation: I was over at the local Pick n Pull getting a few parts off of a '86 T4wd that show up a few weeks ago. the drivers side rear axl bearing felt good, so I pulled the axle, the bearing was good. The passanger side felt good, but also had some in-and-out play like you described. I pulled that axle and found the bearing junk, the race was all wobbly on the bearing, full of rust too. Odd it felt smooth when I just turned the axle. I think the passanger size bearings, both front and rear fail much more often because they get beat up with side impacts when parking next to a curb. ONce the race gets dents, it will slowly grind it away. I have gotten well over 300k miles on the driver side bearings, but have seen the passenger side fail at under half that.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
TominMO
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

Post by TominMO »

That is interesting. Lends further evidence that my pass. side bearing is bad. Might jump into it after all, before it gets cold.
1986 4WD Tercel, formerly gold, now camo
1995 Ford Aspire SE, MPG development car, shooting for 65 MPG hwy
1990 Ford Festiva, mild motor swap, HP development car
The other Tom M. in STL w/a gold 1986 SR5--from the universe where Spock has a goatee