Gearbox vs rear axle

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Tigergutt

Post by Tigergutt »

Hello!
I've got a trouble with my 86 station wagon 4WD. Sombody has swapped the 3A engine with a 4A. The front diff broke down because a oil leak an I had to put in a complete gearbox with front diff. The old one had a EL (extra low) step wich the "new" one doesn't have. The problem is that when I put the 4WD handle in the 4WD position, my rear wheels just scrubbing the tarmac!!! :o If I try to drive from zero speed the gearbox just seems to lock up and I have to use a lot of power to get the handle back in FWD position. Does anyone know if these two boxes has got different speed outlet to the rear axle, or what else can it be????
Tigger, from the deep fjords of Norway!!!
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

First of all welcome to the board and its an honour to have someone from your part of the world visiting. It sounds like you have an 83-84 transmission which has a different front differential ratio than the 85-88 ones. Your front wheels would be going faster than the back ones. All 4WD transmissions have the extra low. The front wheel drive gearbox and front diff/bellhousing is the same except that the transmission shafts do not extend out of the rear of the housing. On the 4WD, the shafts stick out into a transfer case where the extra low gear and the transfer hub are. If the extra low isn't working, there's something wrong with the transmission. You can use the old gearbox with the new differential and changing those two parts is not hard. If you have the wrong gear ratio on the front, you just need a new ring and pinion. It's the 4.1:1 ratio you need, the other one is 3.73:1. Any ring and pinion from an 85-86 Tercel or an 85-88 Tercel wagon should be the right one.
Tigergutt

Post by Tigergutt »

Thanks for quick reply! I've got to find a new box and start all over ;) It shouldn't be to hard to find because there are quite few of these vehicles over here. I'm living in a part of Norway where the winter and topographics makes the 4WD almost a must.
Have a nice day!
Tigger.
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

So there are alot of Tercel 4WD's where you live? Are there any at the wrecking yards? I'm interested in some European Tercel parts? Especially a complete set of headlights and side marker lights. If you can find these for me, I can make it worth your while. Is your gearbox wrecked or just the front diff?