Unidentifiable hose?!!

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
timsamp
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon

Unidentifiable hose?!!

Post by timsamp »

I am in the process of a heavy duty cleaning on "Tammy". I pulled back the front carpeting passenger side, and found this hose, can anyone identify it? The only markings on it are a small 5 and 2 near the flat square end.

Also on a side note, the rear wiper doesnt work(used to) I think it might be the fuse, does anyone know where that particular fuse is located, for some reason not even Toyota knows, go figure!!

Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Unidentifiable hose?!!

Post by dlb »

i've pulled several of these cars apart and i don't think i've ever seen that hose before. what are its approximate dimensions?

not positive but i've always assumed the rear wiper ran off the same fuse as the front wipers, which is located in the driver side kick panel. i think it's a 20 amp fuse. if the fuse checks out, pull the rear hatch trim off and take a look at the wiper motor. if you see any black burn marks on the plug you might have to splice new connectors on to the wires. if the wiper motor itself is toast, i have a spare i could send you for the cost of shipping.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that is a flex hose that goes on the heater blower motor. I think is blows air through the housing to keep the motor cool. You can see where it goes if you lay on your back and slide your head under the dash. The motor is all the way over next to the passanger side kick panel behind the glove box. The hose attaches to the motor housing and bleeds air from the high pressure side of the fan into the motor if I recall.

If it does not stay on you can use a small tie-wrap or even wire to hold it in place. It is pretty important for heater fan life.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
timsamp

Post by timsamp »

dlb,

Im not to sure there is an "opening" port type deal off the bottom of my heater blower motor, but this isnt long enough to reach anything else?!!, also there are no burn marks anywhere, and im hoping its not the motor, going to the junkyard in the -30s is no fun!!! ok maybe a little!

IMG_0942.JPG
IMG_0943.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timsamp

Post by timsamp »

Petros,

Thats what I was thinking also, but it doesnt fit on either port that is under there, or maybe I am just being a sissy when I am trying to put it on!! Do you know which side it supposed to go to what?
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Tim- square end goes on the blower motor (opposite the blower motor plug) round end goes on nipple facing downwards on heater box. maybe someone installed after-market blower motor with no provision for cooling hose?? as for the rear wiper operation, if fuses and motor check ok- could be broken wire where harness goes from body to rear hatch. Good luck!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

Tim, I feel for you. Many times I've awoken after a rough night down at Boobs 'n' Butts to find myself next to "unidentifiable ho's".
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
celtglen
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84/2WD/Wagon-stock/311+K miles-original engine/original owner/ no mods

Post by celtglen »

timsamp wrote:Petros,

Thats what I was thinking also, but it doesnt fit on either port that is under there, or maybe I am just being a sissy when I am trying to put it on!! Do you know which side it supposed to go to what?

On some of the blower motors the square end fits on the SIDE not underneath..a little hint on the square side is to kinda pinch it/align into the square seat area/then let go and it usually pops right in.

CG
timsamp

Post by timsamp »

Yep got it, now I just need to get her running again!!