New 86 SR5 in Alaska!

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
timsamp
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon

New 86 SR5 in Alaska!

Post by timsamp »

Just got a 86 SR5 wagon off a lady for 300, hadnt started it in a year, i put a battery in it and fired right up. Gave it a good tune up, plugs, wires, dis cap, rotor, pcv, oil, anti, diff/tranny, fuel tx, fuel filter, air filter. Has a ticking noise, seems to be a lifter, not to worried about it, has 239000 miles on it! But for some reason, when i turn the car off, she spits and sputters real bad for up to 4 minutes? Cant figure this one out? HELLLLPPPPP!!!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: New 86 SR5 in Alaska!

Post by dlb »

sounds like a good score. the dieseling could be incorrect ignition timing or a bad vacuum leak. disconnect and plug the vacuum advance hoses from the distributor when you check the timing. stock timing is 5* BTDC, 10* BTDC is better. check the vac advance cans by putting a clean vac hose on them and sucking. if a port doesn't hold pressure, the diaphragm is broken. no big deal, just plug the vac line that goes to it until you can get new vac cans. they are not necessary but they do improve fuel economy. be sure to reconnect the vac hoses after you're done checking/setting the timing.

for vac leaks, pull the air filter housing off and check to make sure all of the hoses are going to right places and none of them are broken. also test other diaphragms like the vac advance cans for the leaks. here's a link on hidden vac leaks.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8058&p=59139

and here's the FAQ thread. give it a quick read for things to check on T4s if you're new to them, like sway bar bushings and collars--super important to check.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7442
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the list!

sounds like a good buy, post pictures. In addition to what David wrote above, also check the fuel cut off solenoid is working, find the on-line Factory Service manual and there is a simple procedure to test it.

It cuts off the fuel supply when the engine is turned off to prevent the run-on. sounds like it is not working. should be an easy fix if you can find the part, mean time put your foot on the brake hard, put it in gear and let the clutch out just as you turn off the engine to prevent the run on. if you time it just right it will catch the engine right when spark stops and there will be no jerk or jump.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
celtglen
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84/2WD/Wagon-stock/311+K miles-original engine/original owner/ no mods

Post by celtglen »

timsamp wrote:Just got a 86 SR5 wagon off a lady for 300,...... when i turn the car off, she spits and sputters real bad for up to 4 minutes? Cant figure this one out? HELLLLPPPPP!!!
First thought is timing
Second thought is throttle positionor linkage sticking
Third thought, remembering the car sat for a year-- internal carbon deposits--

Sounds like a great find..239K is high but by no means the end-of-life for these cars. Mine has over 311K miles and running strong
MR2Di4
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by MR2Di4 »

Cool, another Alaskan in here! Whereabouts you at?

Just got my T4WD last summer and have been working on it steadily. I'm inclined to agree with dlb, Petros and celtglen's suggestions. Look for vac leaks, check timing and make sure your linkage isn't sticky, but if you're dealing with carbon deposits, I'd say it's time for a SeaFoam treatment. Mine had sat for at least three years and really benefited from having the stuff clean out the upper cylinders and carb. While directions vary, I've found the best way is to suck about half a can of the stuff through the brake vacuum line (use little "sips" and not too much at once!) then shut the engine off. Pour the remainder in the gas tank and let it sit for 30-45 minutes or so. Then be prepared for a cloud of dense white-ish smoke that will last for a long while, it's a little scary to wait and rev the engine watching more and more come out. Just make sure the whitish smoke doesn't appear when you rev it and that you aren't fogging the highway when you drive. But literally "after the smoke clears" your car should run better and shut off smoother.

Let us know what you find out!

MR2Di4 8)
'85 4WD SR5 S/W (Winter Daily Driver)
'88 Toy Truck (Summer Daily Driver)
'86 4WD AT S/W (First T4WD, long gone...)
'88 MR2 N/A (Namesake College Car, also long gone...)
'70 AMX (Family Heirloom, will never be gone...)
timsamp

Post by timsamp »

Thanks everyone for the help, ima take a good long look at it this weekend, starting off with just the basic cleaning and working my way up!! Hopefully it will be something easy! Getting parts for this thing up to Fairbanks, AK isnt exactly the easiest. Gave her a good hot hot hot steam cleaning today, and ima be taking her duck hunting and testing out the 4WD tomorrow!! Cant wait to see how she runs. Im gonna get some picture up here soon. Thanks Again. Tim
timsamp

Post by timsamp »

Just an update, turns out the card was just unbelieveably filthy, it took about 5 bottles of sea foam to finally clean it well enough. Doesnt diesel anymore, and doesnt shutter when you punch the gas pedal. Thanks for the advice and pointers though!!
North of 64
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: "Bones" 87 SR5 4wd wagon

Post by North of 64 »

timsamp wrote:Just an update, turns out the card was just unbelieveably filthy, it took about 5 bottles of sea foam to finally clean it well enough. Doesnt diesel anymore, and doesnt shutter when you punch the gas pedal. Thanks for the advice and pointers though!!
Re: Seafoam
Did you put one bottle at a time through the fuel tank, down the carb or ???
timsamp

Post by timsamp »

There are 2 different kinds of bottles, one is a spray, and the other is pourable. I took one and put it in the tank, and ran it until it was empty (completely dead empty), then I sprayed the hell out of the carb, around lunch time, waited til the next morn 0700ish, fired her up, then ran her for about 30-50 miles at 65mph, and then i sprayed all a few of the vac lines with it as well.