Differences between early and later T4wd?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
speedgraphic
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel 4WD Wagon, Manual

Re: Differences between early and later T4wd?

Post by speedgraphic »

You guys are great. Thanks.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I just remembered another difference, but not sure when it was changed (perhaps from '84 to '85); the hub caps and wheels look all the same, but some where along the line they changed the way the hub cap grips the wheel. Some cling to the inner wheel lip at the center hole, and some are held by 4 spring clips around the perimeter of the hub cap, you can not interchange the two styles, the correct hub cap must go with the correct wheel. It is a pain in the rear if you have a mix of extra wheels kicking around to get a matching set of 4 correct wheels and hub caps that go with them.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
North of 64
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: "Bones" 87 SR5 4wd wagon

Post by North of 64 »

speedgraphic wrote:You guys are great. Thanks.
Speed, I totally agree. I am humbled by the wealth of Tercel info on this forum and the spirit in which it is shared.
speedgraphic
Advanced Member

Post by speedgraphic »

Right on, North.

Will it be possible to swap an 84 SR5 cluster into an 85 non-SR5? I really want a tach! Also, can the inclinometer be properly installed into a non-SR5?
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

You can swap the clusters between the SR5 and DLX models regardless of years, but you might also want to get a matching '85+ cluster hood (I say '85+ so that it will have the 4wd and EL indicator lights) so that it will have the holes for the trip meter reset and the quartz clock knob. I suppose you could drill the holes you need on the cluster hood you have now, but it's a thought for a clean installation. You can also install an inclinometer in a non-SR5 as well, there have been several tutorials on how to do this posted here in the forums.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

speed, i think you asked a similar question about inclinometers on a different thread recently. i believe i posted the link to this thread:

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7617

and yup, as T4WDR mentioned, inclinometers can be put in any T4 regardless of trim package.
speedgraphic
Advanced Member

Post by speedgraphic »

Sorry about the dupes. Thanks guys.

As to swapping clusters - why can't I just swap the '84 SR5 cluster and cluster hood into the '85 DLX? They look very similar, but maybe there's something I'm missing?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you can, the later ones have a silly "EL" dash light that lets you know you are in extra low (as if the driver needs an idiot light to know), the earlier ones do not have this. Also the later ones have the "4wd" light on the hood along side the instruments, but the earlier ones have that on the inclinometer cluster.

Also, with the SR5 instrument cluster you either need to drill holes for the clock and trip odo control button, or to swap the hood. But you do not need to swap the hood, just the little plastic covers that pop into place where these button will protrude from the cluster. It becomes obvious when you actually do the swap, not a big deal either way.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
speedgraphic
Advanced Member

Post by speedgraphic »

I see exactly what you mean now - thanks Petros. Any idea on what bulbs the cluster hood takes? I'd like to convert to LED but I've never seen bulbs this small - much smaller than 194. I'm excited to have a tachometer soon!!!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

not sure which bulbs you are looking at but there are a few very small ones, like behind the heater controls. when i had to buy replacements the new ones said "S14V, 1.4W" on them. i have seen others about the same size that said "05 n9s, 12/1.2" on them.